PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Police

Shitkicker01
30th Jul 2008, 07:36
Can anybody tell me how many aircraft the Police in Manchester have and if they're still all based at Barton?

(Somebody on here mentioned that they have 3... is that true?)

Cheers

Chopper Doc Junior
30th Jul 2008, 09:34
As far as I'm aware they have one helicopter an MD902. Their new one is either being currently fitted out or is already at Barton.

jayteeto
30th Jul 2008, 15:53
3 is technically correct. One old 902, one new one replacing it at Barton and an Islander based at Manchester International.

on21
30th Jul 2008, 18:29
Correct, technically 3, pratically when you need it, well theres a whole seperate issue!:O

ppheli
31st Jul 2008, 05:12
The new 902 was still firmly esconced in the PAS hangar at Staverton being completed on Monday of this week. And when that is delivered, the old one goes to.... hmm... an EMS operation close to London, perhaps?

Thus the maximum available is one Islander and one Explorer, so any hint of a total of 3 is technically correct from the ownership point of view but in operational terms is a pipedream

cptjim
2nd Aug 2008, 02:33
For a picture of G-GMPX go to July 2008 @ Gloucestershire Airport :: Fotopic.Net (http://egbj.fotopic.net/c1537725.html) :ok:

KrisRamJ
2nd Aug 2008, 02:50
Yikes, the colour scheme on that 902 is pretty weird for a police ship.

tightrope
2nd Aug 2008, 04:57
oh my gowd..... :}

typical GMP.. doing things their way..!!

is it an optical illusion or does it actualy have just the one pito tube.?

Droopy
2nd Aug 2008, 07:37
I doubt PAS will be using that pic for publicity....

aeromys
2nd Aug 2008, 09:36
Well that's just daft, the whole idea of the "High Conspicuity" paint scheme is dark sides and underneath, bright on top. That's just being different for the sake of being different, and ignoring the HO advice.

206 jock
2nd Aug 2008, 11:06
And when that is delivered, the old one goes to.... hmm... an EMS operation close to London, perhaps?

Correct. Will be based out of North Weald and covering Hertfordshire: deal due to be signed this week, I believe.

MightyGem
4th Aug 2008, 00:33
Yikes, the colour scheme on that 902 is pretty weird for a police ship
Looks like a budgie to me. Hmmm...budgie the helicopter. Sounds familiar. :}
http://www.entertainmentrights.com/uploads/image_bank/budgiethehelicopter_hl.jpg

Helinut
4th Aug 2008, 12:16
206 jock,

That's a bit of a surprise. I had sort of assumed that Herts would go with the same provider as Essex.

Good to keep the competition going........

Helinut

aeromys
4th Aug 2008, 12:35
It's a Chav copter :)

anonythemouse
4th Aug 2008, 18:02
Bloody awful paint scheme, where's the sick bag. Ditto re the conspicuity paint scheme!

206 jock
5th Aug 2008, 05:30
That's a bit of a surprise. I had sort of assumed that Herts would go with the same provider as Essex

Competitive tendering is a wonderful thing:p

Coconutty
6th Aug 2008, 19:36
Certainly a bold colour scheme - wonder where they got the idea from ?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/G-GMPX.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

ShyTorque
6th Aug 2008, 23:42
Flash » Bees (Lots of Bees) (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bees)

Skidkid
10th Aug 2008, 00:33
typical GMP.. doing things their way..!!

That's just being different for the sake of being different, and ignoring the HO advice

And still working target left!!!

Come on P..l, haven't you been there too long? Isn't it time to move on and make way for some younger, fresher ideas and catch up with the rest of the country.

jayteeto
10th Aug 2008, 03:10
Target left works for us, the pilot has to work a bit harder, the camera operator gets to work a bit easier. Swings and roundabouts :ok:

FloaterNorthWest
10th Aug 2008, 15:23
Jayteeto,

It's all the rubbish pilots who don't have the ability to keep a target on the left who are always knocking it :}

Just because GMP don't post on here, don't think they aren't cutting edge. There are lots of things that go on at the unit that would surprise a few people. Always liked the expression "Empty vessels make the loudest noise!"

Back to my cushy corporate job...................

FNW

whenever
10th Aug 2008, 18:12
FNW,

It's your statement that's rubbish, not the pilots!

Having the observer behind the pilot means that both he and the pilot can have eyes on the target, search area etc. while the front seat observer uses his very capable and expensive camera to view, search the area. The only down side of this is the rear observer or pilot will need to talk the front observer onto the target, search area.

Left side rear observer means a lot more communication with the pilot to achieve optimum position as well as having only one set of eyes looking out over the target or search area. The front observer is able to see the area in question and get the camera on target a few seconds quicker then his eyes will spend most of the time in the cockpit searching the screen.

Ask yourself why more and more of the Police Units are going over to the right?

Whenever.

FloaterNorthWest
10th Aug 2008, 20:43
Whenever or should it be whatevvveeeeer!!

Which units who fly left-hand orbits have switched to right-hand orbits?

My comment was very tongue in cheek. This is a very old subject that we have gone over many times (mostly in jest) with valid reasons either way.

I doubt you have anything new to add.

Look at the smilies.

FNW.

Sulley
11th Aug 2008, 09:18
FNW Strathclyde switched.:ok:

MightyGem
11th Aug 2008, 20:14
Strathclyde switched
Probably when they bought a 135 with the camera on a boom, rather than the pod under the aircraft. The boom can only have the camera on the right, so they had no option.

Olde Devonian
11th Aug 2008, 22:05
Left Hand/Right Hand - makes no difference. Left Handers get their results from Left Hand orbits and us Right Handers do like wise! We all have our own schools of thought - but who's to say which is betterer.
Fly safe whichever way you go round!
OD:ok:

PS:NOT a fan of the new colourscheme though :E!

Sulley
12th Aug 2008, 12:03
Mighty Gem admittedly Strathclydes was all to do with having floats so the 105 had camera left and the 135 right , but technically in my defence, FNW didn't ask why .......just who had :ok: