PDA

View Full Version : 737 job hunting

calamari
29th Jul 2008, 22:37
Hi , first time poster...

Any ideas of where in Europe (preferably UK) the jobs are going for a 737 rated pilot with 150ish hours on type and 1000+ TT. Not the most ideal time for job hunting I accept but for very difficult reasons im looking to part ways with my current employers.

IrishJetdriver
30th Jul 2008, 09:32
Numerous carriers in UK operate 737. However, with less than 500hrs on type, the TR does not necessarily make you an attractive candidate. The 150hrs on type suggests you only just finished or are about to finish line training. Questions will get asked.....good answers may be difficult.

If there is any way you can hang in there and get 500hrs then life should be easier.

Mercenary Pilot
30th Jul 2008, 09:56
How did you end up with 150 on type with no job?

calamari
30th Jul 2008, 16:55
I did write that I am looking to leave my present employers implying I already have a job.

Leaving with 150 hrs is not a good idea but family issues and living a million miles away from home without a hope in hell's chance of going home has pushed me into this situation.

Given the chance to explain i dont think the questions will be too hard to answer.

sonicpana
30th Jul 2008, 18:16
I was in similar pos'n too. You have what is called 'A life', something that the 'wet behind the ears and flying a shiny jet' gang havn't yet experienced.I had family probs etc...they are more important to me too than hrs on an ali tube & at later interviews the airlines WORTH working for understood.Good luck you will find something its not the end of the world. Trust you've been on ppjn.com and typed in 737?
Cheers Sonic:ok:

Mercenary Pilot
30th Jul 2008, 19:05
In that case I recommend you contact the well known aviation recruitment agencies, as I know of a couple of UK airlines who are using contractors at the moment on the 737. 150 hours is pretty marginal but on the plus side you are current so it is worth a shot.

bear11
31st Jul 2008, 08:48
You could find yourself in the unfortunate position of being home with no work or being away building up hours. Contract work is unlikely at this time of the summer apart from your low hours, it's possible someone may be stuck for numbers but they won't normally have availability of training personnel given they're so busy right now. If something does come up, 90% it will finish in 2-3 months max and you will be left high and dry for the winter as many experienced pilots will be let go over the winter and work in Europe will dry up. As pointed out, having 500 hours on type will get you forward for most positions, 150 hours is too close to the bone.

And, please don't take this the wrong way, but is this the job for you if you need close proximity to home, either because you need to be or because your family need you to be there? It's simply not that type of job for the vast majority of pilots, and you need to be realistic and have very strong family support because as a career it is a known relationship-breaker. Just think of the hundreds of experienced US pilots looking at contracts in Europe, the Middle and Far East at the minute because they are being furloughed by their airlines at home.

Brainstorm
31st Jul 2008, 10:17
Considering that this summer is coming to an end and that things are not looking so good with the economy I think now could be a hard time to find work with your hours. I think a lot of airlines will park aircraft this winter.

But..you are in a better position than many pilots out there as you have some time on type. If you can hang on with your current employer over the winter to say Feb or March 09 then many airlines should be recruiting for next summer.

I agree with Bear11, this career is not good for any relationship. Poor job stability, the usual scarcity of work and the fact that your life belongs to the rostering department catches up after a while.

MIKECR
31st Jul 2008, 10:24
You could always try Ryanair, they are still recruiting just now. How long things will remain rosey with them is questionable though. Talks of grounding aircraft over the winter doesnt bode well, particularly if your a contractor relyig on flying hours to make money.