PDA

View Full Version : Horn of Africa - current reports please?

Agaricus bisporus
29th Jul 2008, 18:18
Fifteen years ago I spent a considerable amount of time working (flying and staying) in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Somaliland & Djibouti.

Can anyone with current knowledge of these places report on the realistic security situation for a ground-based ferengi at present. I am particularly interested in Ethiopia (Ogaden and the NE) and Somaliland. The usual, general, low level hazard of shifta is not a great concern, bit I'd like to know about elevated risk areas, specific local, political or religious difficulties, and use of public transport in those areas if known.

For instance, how is the overland link between Addis, Dessie, Lalibela and Axum? Is the commercial air route viable?

Surface conditions in the above?

Ditto Harar, Jijiga and Somaliland?

Is the Djibouti - DireDawa -Addis rail link still functioning/safe/viable?

What reception might a ferengi recieve in Hargeisa, Berbera, Burao, Bosasso and Las Anod?

All info gratefully recieved.

Big plans in hand - tho not aviation based.

yambat
29th Jul 2008, 22:57
Was in Berbera a couple of weeks ago; very helpful at the airport, they were happy to see different operators, sorry I cant offer more. The controller was a wonderful fellow. Military chaps all happy to show us around. Saw some interesting old Hunter and Mig 21 wrecks. Hope it works out for you.

Coleman Myers
2nd Aug 2008, 11:36
I promise it has'nt changed much since you were last there !. PM me if you want some numbers