PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training at more than one school.

wired2fly
29th Jul 2008, 16:00
I've started my PPL recently with a long term view of doing modular ATPL.
The school I'm at is close to home and based at a busy airport so I will get good RT experience and get to drool over the big jets :p Unfortunately they don't offer CPL or anything more than a PPL/IR.

Occasionally I go to visit the family down south and they live near a busy airport/flight school (who do CPL/ATPL etc) I recently went for a lesson there so I could keep the continuity up but they initially voiced concern that it wasn't the done thing to train at more than one school due to problems/overlap with the training and the instructor not knowing where you are in certain areas.
They did keep records so we agreed it was just a case of ensuring both schools talked to each other where necessary to ensure they were on the same page.
Whilst initially having the same doubts about training at more than one school. I actually found the experience beneficial. I found the training to be more detailed with the other school particularly with the ground briefings. It also means I can keep continuity up especially when I can only train at weekends and with the rubbish weather we seem to get.
I can only go down south every so often so the majority of the training would have to be done at my local school but I'm curious to know if other people have used multiple schools and found it beneficial or should I just stick to one school?

Sole
29th Jul 2008, 19:31
Not exactly on the same page, but im currently completing my NPPL (M). I completed 12 hours here in england, before hopping across to portugal for 10 hours...
I found the experience, amazing, (2 diffrent instructors over there), because of the benefit of having 3 instructors, who picked up on and worked on something different!
I had to get used to the location (Reference points, abort points and airspace) very quickly to be able to gain from my training.
From a professional aspect (Further on from the NPPL) im not sure that its seen as good to have studied at various different schools, because they like u to have stuck to one firm. (From what ive heard).
Now back in the UK and carrying on
All the best with your training.
Sole

captain_flynn
30th Jul 2008, 00:21
If I was you i'd stick with one school. When I did my PPL in Cornwall 2 of the flying schools I was with actually went bust and therefore I got my PPL at the third flying school and it was long over due. Different instructors, aircraft etc. Better to stick with one flying school.

If your current flying school doesnt offer the CPL why not just hour build there and then when you have enough hours for the CPL go and stay with your parents for a while complete the CPL down south.