PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Future Capabilities Discussion

BRJC
29th Jul 2008, 11:25
So, the Royal Australian Airforce looks to be undergoing a big expansion towards the future, and a move away from the past (aka the F-111).

With the purchase of around 100 F-35 JSF's, the strike fighter force is moving away from the venerable F-111, and backing this up is the new order of 24 Super Hornets, and upgrades to EA-18 Growlers.The service of the 707 tankers is coming to an end, due to be replaced with KC-35's (I think)

Also, Army Aviation is expanding with the purchase of a new Armed Recconaisance Helicopter in the Tiger ARH

So, what do you think of the future capabilities and standing on the world stage of the RAAF?

Discuss away...

seafuryfan
29th Jul 2008, 13:26
I think that with the increase in Chinese territorial influence and the burgeoning Asian economies, coupled with the environmental problems associated with climate change in the motherland, the Australians are looking at the ability to sustain and protect their own economy and peoples, with force if necessary. It seems to me that they are looking at power projection in their part of the world, the ability to defend their interests in conjunction with allies.