PDA

View Full Version : Heli Aust 139 jobs in WA

mybighorse1
29th Jul 2008, 09:06
Whats happening with the Heli Australia AW139 jobs advertised in WA; Has anyone applied, is the EBA out, how does it compare to others on the field?:8

dodgy1
29th Jul 2008, 10:17
Hi MBH1,

As a person very close to HA i am too wondering what is happening with the EBA for the 139 jobs out of KA. I have heard two lots of info about HA recently and they are not good. Firstly it was regarding the EBA talks for the current HA pilots both KA and Gove. Apparently there will be no negotiations just a published agreement...don't know what that means but apparently there will be no discussions. Can't wait to see the reactions from the pilots. Secondly it is rumoured (pprune) that HA will be at least matching Bristows EBA deal. But from one source inside HA...they have not finalised any pay structures/agreements.
It seems to me that HA will be lagging behind the rest of the big operaters in Australia and hence will soon suffer from the same crewing problems in the very near future unless they are keen match the benefits the other already provide.

ivan
30th Jul 2008, 00:29
hot rumour of 150 applicants - anyone know the score?:rolleyes:

Heliringer
30th Jul 2008, 01:07
I can't see there being 150 suitable applicants. Will this make way for pilots to join the Perth operation cos I'm guessing some of the existing Perth pilots will take up twin positions or are they both seperate?

blade root
30th Jul 2008, 02:20
I think that the operation will be a H NZ affair.

The ad is for Helicopters NZ ....

HNZ HELICOPTER GROUP OF COMPANIES

HELICOPTER PILOTS & CO-PILOTS

HNZ Pty Ltd is a division of the HNZ Helicopter Group of Companies soon to be operating AW139 aircraft from our Karratha base.

I think a few vacancies may appear for the Perth Base.

david_in_nz
30th Jul 2008, 02:52
Would be great to hear from anyone who got an interview, I sent a resume but got a thanks but no thanks response even though I had a lot more than the minimum for the co positions, Was told they got a lot of applicants with IFR experience. Was all through Human Resources Australia though so not sure why it was advertised by HNZ.....
Would love to know the length of tour's and conditions they were offering.

BB's
30th Jul 2008, 03:10
"I sent a resume but got a thanks but no thanks response"

I've applied also and heard zero... They telling those that aren't getting a shot first before informing those who might, me hopes?

dodgy1
30th Jul 2008, 04:53
From when i spoke to the HR person she said the the rotations were going to be 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but she added that they are looking into a 28 day cycle. I presume that this would be for the HNZ pilots coming over from NZ (a bit expensive to tour from NZ every two weeks plus all the travel time to get to and from lovely KA)
As far as HA and HNZ go they are basically the same thing. HR for both companies is being based in Perth.
For the 150 applications, they will probably loose a significant amount if they don't at least equal the Bristow or Jayrow EBA. If you can get a better deal there why go to HA.
I eagerly await the pay and conditions...if any one has more info it would be much appreciated.
D1

RVDT
30th Jul 2008, 06:27
Under the Trans Tasman agreement they can operate in Aus as if it is NZ.

HNZ is the company with the track record, probably been in the offshore game as long if not longer than anyone in Aus. This company started in 1955 and first got into offshore about 1969.

blade root
30th Jul 2008, 06:38
Are the machines going to be VH rego'd, heard they may not be....

With the exchange rates at the moment to pay someone $100k+ NZD is a lot better than same in aus dollars. Think more NZ pilots filling seats than aust....

ISABELL
30th Jul 2008, 07:07
i enquired and was told 2 on 2 off and co pilot pay about $59,000.

ivan
2nd Aug 2008, 02:53
Anyone know start dates/training timelines etc?:cool:

yarpa
4th Aug 2008, 23:22
BB's, in the same boat as you, have heard zip. I at least expected a thanks but no thanks. :{

gulliBell
5th Aug 2008, 00:14
Those that haven't heard something might hear something soon. They have been having technical problems with phones and emails. BTW last count was over 160 applications. Rumored pay for Captain position in the order of $107k.

yarpa
5th Aug 2008, 08:36
Good news, thought there might be something wrong as their phones were always engaged. 160 applications is awesome, however I think many will withdraw with that kind of money.

TukTuk BoomBoom
5th Aug 2008, 13:53
I thought there was a big difference between what the guys in NZ were getting paid flying for HNZ and the HA crews.
Doesnt sounds like it, theyre both crap wages.
160 pilots for 59K and 107K, jeeze you guys no wonder you get paid less than engineers.

mybighorse1
5th Aug 2008, 19:57
Wow - 59k and 107 k - how does this compare to the other offshore guys in Australia???:confused: - maybe i should stay in my VFR single a little longer!!:ok:

Friendly Black Dog
6th Aug 2008, 03:15
Any chance that the 59 and 107 are not including DTA?

So add another 15-20k tax free to the package?

Just ball park figures. Still below BH and CHC.

FBD

gulliBell
6th Aug 2008, 10:49
Perhaps so. The HA BK117 drivers at Gove are on more than 107K so fair chance you can factor in some DTA to top-up the salary for the 139 drivers. But that's just a guess.

whack_job
6th Aug 2008, 23:42
Friendly black dog,

How do you work that out (i'm not taking the piss)

looking at the BH EBA it looks like the starting $$ for cojos is 60K

and yet I hear thats not correct? can anyone tell me the actual starting money for cojos at BH.

Thanks

GreenerGrass
7th Aug 2008, 01:58
Year 1 co-pilots base including IR, SDA etc :

BHA: $67K or thereabouts
Jayrow: $71K or thereabouts + ATPL($4K if you have one) + some extras
CHC: ? - EBA to be determined
HA: ?

Year 1 Captains:
BHA: $108K or thereabouts
Jayrow: $107K or thereabouts + some extras
CHC: ? EBA to be determined
HA: ?

In BHA and CHC you will get DTA(tax free) on top of this. Jayrow aren't really into touring.
These figures will be correct at 1 Nov.
You'd think HA will have to pay salaries in this vicinity. So don't sell yourselves short potential HA employees!

Friendly Black Dog
7th Aug 2008, 05:40
Where are you POHM1 when we need you?

FBD:confused:

agent 99
7th Aug 2008, 11:04
BHA pilots at the moment are getting.
FO- $65'546
SFO- $88'886
CAPT- $104'680
For first year pay rates including allowances. The rate increases with each year of experience for all pilots by about $2'000.
There is another payrise on the 1st of Sept 08 and then on the 1st of Jan 09, then pays will be.
FO- $71'329
SFO- $96'564
CAPT- $113'298
This is all first year pay rates but it takes about 4 to 5 years to get Captaincy so add another 10'000 to that base rate.
There is also DTA on top of this which is about another $14'000 a year for touring pilots.
Roughly you won't find a captain in BHA under $122'410 base salary including allowances,then add around another $14'000 for DTA on top.

GreenerGrass
7th Aug 2008, 11:22
agent99,

I think you mean next pay rise 1 Jul 09. Doesn't really matter as the real issue is BHA have set the standard for rates of pay now and all others should follow. I believe Jayrow already have so it's now up to CHC and HA.

pohm1
7th Aug 2008, 11:35
I think he means Sept 08!

P1

BB's
8th Aug 2008, 00:38
It's been awhile now... Anyone out there (that didn't receive a "thanks but no thanks") actually been contacted?

yarpa
8th Aug 2008, 06:20
BB's, I have recievd an email confirming receipt of application. Have not recieved the thanks but no thanks letter.........yet!

blade root
10th Aug 2008, 09:37
Just heard that the pilots for this contract will not be employed by either
Helicopters (Australia) or HNZ but a new company, Helicopters New Zealand (Australia).

These new employees will be paid the same/similar as Bristow, Jayrow etc.

This begs the question what about the pay of currently employed Multi IFR captains (approx. $30-40K less) of Helicopters (Aust). I see a few tears on the horizon, for both parties.

I think a swifty is trying to be pulled..

HA can smell the Roses but haven't woken up yet.....

Ps.. Don't quit your current job until you have a letter of offer.....

Dis-Mystery of Lift
10th Aug 2008, 21:00
Rumour I heard was the Company was going to be called Helicopters New Zealand (Offshore) So maybe a chance of all pilots being payed same base rates in NZ and Aus with touring allowance etc extra......Fak all chance of that happening!!!!:ugh:

Nipper
11th Aug 2008, 03:14
For those from NZ beware :}Ms Clarke:} and the double taxation. Check very carefully whether you qualify for non-resident tax in NZ:=.

Double tax agreement between Australia and New Zealand

If you are a resident in both Australia and New Zealand, the double tax agreement (DTA) between these two countries states that you will be a resident of the country where a permanent home is available to you.
See New Zealand tax residency for companies and individuals (For non-residents & visitors) (http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-nonres/tax-residency/#01) for further clarification.

What is the 183-day rule?
If you are in New Zealand for more than 183 days in any 12-month period, you are considered to be a New Zealand tax resident from the date of your arrival here. The 183 days do not have to be consecutive and if you are in New Zealand for only part of a day, it will be counted as being a whole day.

666 advo
11th Aug 2008, 09:49
When are the interviews for jobs sposed to start? ANy update on the rumour of average salaries?:confused:

yarpa
11th Aug 2008, 10:24
As previously mentioned there were 160 applications. I personally have heard in the order of 100. If this is the case, it will take some time to sort the s#it (s@#it) from the clay. I don't think they are under the pump, the contract does not start for a while.

666 advo
11th Aug 2008, 10:42
Thanks Yarpa. Have you got the inside scoop on the 100 or is that just a rumour?

Cheers

6:8

dragonsfly
11th Aug 2008, 14:39
I heard they employed a guy recently on the EC145 and promised him a salary that was going to be in line with the new Bristow EBA. After he had resigned from his current employer and no doubt after a bit of a reality check from HA, they called him back and told him that the salary would NOT in fact be the new one but the current salary which is less than 100k (high nineties).
It appears they will now have two completely diffent pay scales for M/E IFR drivers in the company with one lot (139 drivers) being paid about 30k more than the 145 drivers. That will be interesting especially as the 145 lads are single pilot IFR.
Those boys had better get together and form a pilot body of some kind because that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

DF

dodgy1
12th Aug 2008, 04:13
The KA MPT operation is also moving to EC 145's in the very near future. It is rumoured that this operation will be multi crew IFR sometime in the new year and surprise surprise the current wage offer is way behind the other companies :ugh:
As said before i think it is time for the HA/HNZ/HNZ Aust crews to get a pilot group together and fight for a better deal. (A bit hard i know for the 139 guys as they haven't even been employed yet?)
For all those going for the 139 jobs...dont resign until the wrtten offer has been extended...
D1

GreenerGrass
12th Aug 2008, 07:21
I agree Dodgy1.
Look at Bristow and their much smaller rival Jayrow to see what a united, non-apathetic pilot group can achieve when they work with their management to achieve a mutually beneficial outcome. It takes work and LOTS of communication!!
CHC should have an agreement soon.
HA boys and girls sit down and have a chat together. Get organised and aim for a mutually beneficial outcome. Remember your company needs your skills/experience at the moment at least as much as you need their employment!!

gulliBell
12th Aug 2008, 14:10
Word is that HA had far more applicants with ticks in every box (including type endorsements) for the AW139 jobs than the positions available. So chances are they're probably not worried too much about any prospect of collective solidarity amongst the pilot group given the depth they have available to draw upon. But I could be wrong.

dragonsfly
12th Aug 2008, 16:17
My source also tells me that the guy who is supposed to be the Ops Manager and handling EBA's there came from China Southern in WA and he made it so bad for the pilots there, they all went out on strike because of him. Not only is he not a pilot but reportedly doesn't know one end of a helicopter from the other.
Well they are off to a flying start by the sounds of it with guys like that working for them.
DF

RVDT
12th Aug 2008, 18:23
Just like the airlines and their aircraft, helicopters are now heading in the same direction.

Have a think about how operators can make make more/any money.

Just like airlines, this game will become, if it hasn't already, just a commodity.

A useful thing like water or time. Do you want it Red/White, Blue/Red/White or White/Red/Blue.

How many people actual choose to fly with a particular airline or choose on price.

Just another service company - do you want fries with that? Get over it.

You could substitute the HA name in this thread for any other.

Another point is the "Australian factor". On a global scale oil service companies charge about 30% more to operate in Australia. It is well known. Flame away if you want but it does exist!

They already know you are a wh*re, the issue is just the price.

666 advo
12th Aug 2008, 23:36
You still have to obtain and retain those wh#res though. If the pimps elsewhere are paying better, folks just pick up and walk, or don't knock the door to start with, so I s'pose you are correct when you say it comes down to price.....

RVDT
13th Aug 2008, 02:34
Triple 6,

And da number of ho's versus da pimps?

There is a pimp union as well as a ho union.

666 advo
14th Aug 2008, 11:45
man, us hos gotta stick together!

666 advo
20th Aug 2008, 04:06
Rumour that some have been offered positions, but have knocked them back based on pay? Anyone heard what the offer was or received one?

gulliBell
20th Aug 2008, 06:09
As far as I know they are still going through the short-listing process.

integrity
21st Aug 2008, 03:49
If you want to see what a company is really like - look at the base pilots not the touring ones. Touring guys only see a fraction of what management etc is like, ask yourself why HA have lost 13 qualified Helitak pilots in 3 seasons? The boat has a leak!

dodgy1
21st Aug 2008, 04:14
Integrity,
Yes i believe you are correct about the Perth pilot movements and the cheif pilot has also up and left so you would have to be a little suspicous.
But have a look at the KA MPT operation, their hasnt been anybody leave for almost a year now, they are probably just holding on for the new EC145's coming?? Quite a big carrrot but as stated previously on this thread, they won't hold onto them too long if the current wage offer and conditions are not improved at least to current industry standard.

I see they have advertised for Bk117 or EC145 touring pilots with min 3 renewals and 500hr multi command, anybody enquired about this?

Last i heard the guys at KA currently weren't going to recieve much of a increase after the 145 endorsement...will be interested to see how many apply and then how many take a position...just like the 139's

gulliBell
21st Aug 2008, 06:48
Perth pilot movements at HA maybe somewhat to do with the nature of the job, there can be alot of sitting around during the fire season and not much flying. The young guys in those jobs are likely to want more flying and less sitting around, or find a better avenue onto twins elsewhere. Plus the pay on offer (about the mid $70k point) is not so appealing considering the pay and opportunities for advancement found elsewhere.

TukTuk BoomBoom
21st Aug 2008, 19:22
yeah except a certain managment individual (C.A.) has driven away more pilots than you could shake a stick at.
For some reason HNZ keep him on, what a liability.

Harry76
22nd Aug 2008, 00:22
TTBB, What exactly is C.A.'s job in management these days? I knew him when he was the CP. They say, 'time wounds all heels'. Apparently not yet in this case.

integrity
22nd Aug 2008, 06:51
Seems that guy has the same affect on everyone. I know of engineers and admin staff who have also left because of him. Amazing how some guys just spin the B.S. to the right people and hang in there. I think he got sacked from Bristow a few years back!

slowlane
22nd Aug 2008, 12:27
integrity,

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Bol-kowboy
22nd Aug 2008, 12:32
for all charlie alpha's faults i think you may find that without him, HA would be a back yard operator flying around in busted arse old jetties.

HNZ see the need for him, hence he is still there.

Honestly, he is worth the collateral damage.

And yes I have been on the receiving end of more than one of his hissy fits.

TukTuk BoomBoom
22nd Aug 2008, 13:11
Youre right he is very good at the bullsh.t that goes with getting contracts but he is the absolute worst person i have ever had to deal with in aviation. No question
Never worked with anyone so bipolar with a medical.

slowlane
22nd Aug 2008, 23:00
Never worked with anyone so bipolar with a medical. So you are a doctor as well? :=

Brian Abraham
23rd Aug 2008, 06:13
Never worked with anyone so bipolar with a medical
Some may very well consider such a statement to be libellous. It’s interesting to see the labels that get put on people because they don’t measure up to some personally imposed criteria. I have no idea who CA is, but if his skill lies in getting the contracts to keep bread on the table for a heap of folk, should you not be grateful? Sure, we all have facets to our personality that others may find grating, eccentric, humorous, revolting, etc etc. That’s the nature of the world, and that’s why you marry girl X, and I girl Y. Rather than debasing a persons reputation with inflammatory language, how about a simple example of why you found it difficult to get along with the individual. Often difficulties in relationships lie within ourselves, and not the other. All of us can find people who will,for one reason or another, speak ill of us, whether it be well founded or not.

integrity
23rd Aug 2008, 07:25
True Brian, that may well be a libellous statement from TTBB re C.A., however, given that this is generally an anonymous forum, it is a mute point. More to the point though is the fact that TTBB seems to actually work with this guy. And nothing gets to know a person more than working with them in the long and stressfull arena of helicopters. I don't think any of us are participating to purposefully bag others, God knows there is enough of that goes on in the crew room and cockpit. However, C.A.'s reputation well and truely preceeds him, and if this post helps just one person not go down the road of getting involved with him only to be crucified by his "bipolar" side, then the forum has surely worked.

It's hard enough to have an enjoyable, satisfying (let alone lucrative) career in this game without constantly running into more A**holes, so I for one enjoy and appreciate reading the 'heads-up' on potential black-holes. So, thanks TTBB, we have all seen one more little red-flag to be aware of.

More strenght to those with the guts to free speak. :D

TukTuk BoomBoom
23rd Aug 2008, 13:08
Yup thats what this forum is all about, getting a heads up on the industry we all work in.
If you didnt take note of other peoples experiences we'd all end up working somewhere like Abu Dhabi Aviation.

Old Brian there hasnt got a clue who hes talking about, maybe you should stick to the nitting forum mate.
What we are doing here is pretty much a written version of what we talk about at the pub.
Do you go around telling people off in the pub Brian for having an opinion about the people they work with?
Would you like to know something other than what you can read on the flash webpage of a company when you are trying to get a job with them?
Seems like thats what this thread is all about
Im not bagging the tea boy either, this guy is someone all the new guys will have to deal with.
They dont have to have the same opinion about the guy i do but they need to know a bit of background.

As for the "got fired from Bristow", thats what i understood as well and then went on to sue them. Apparently also booted from Vietnam according to Rudy.

Big Tip...He will threaten to take you to court over the most minor allegations...Be warned.

bladebanger
23rd Aug 2008, 14:43
TUKTUK BoomBoom

That was a classic statment about the nitting forum. And is a true statment for Brian.
CV is a pain to work with, and yes he was sacked from Bristow. The only pilot every to be sacked in Australia by Bristow I am told.

Banger

gulliBell
23rd Aug 2008, 20:29
No, it's well known that Bristow have sacked others. Notably two senior pilots in particular who ended up being re-instated with back-pay after a 2 year process, assisted by Industrial representation. So CA isn't the only one.

Brian Abraham
24th Aug 2008, 01:13
however, given that this is generally an anonymous forum, it is a mute point
Not a moot point at all I'm afraid. Because you post under a nom de plume does not grant you immunity, as some posters have found to their regret, including at least one Australian who was obliged to publish a letter of apology on Pprune. Pprune administration will give your details upon legal request and you are easily traced.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a heads up, just be careful of the terms in which you couch the advice, and be sure it is objective rather than a rant.
Thanks for the advice on knitting. When are you young pups going to learn to spell, hope you pay more attention to detail in your flying.

whack_job
26th Aug 2008, 07:38
Quote from Gullibell
"Perth pilot movements at HA maybe somewhat to do with the nature of the job, there can be alot of sitting around during the fire season and not much flying. The young guys in those jobs are likely to want more flying and less sitting around, or find a better avenue onto twins elsewhere. Plus the pay on offer (about the mid $70k point) is not so appealing considering the pay and opportunities for advancement found elsewhere."

Gullibell, do you reckon that includes super or is plus super??

BA, oh how you remind me of a DA, one that lives in Perth and is a right pain in the ar$e

gulliBell
26th Aug 2008, 08:38
The salary range for the Perth based fire jobs is $71k to $76k depending on experience, plus super. 4 days on 2 days off in summer, 5 days on 2 days off in winter, 4 weeks annual leave (not sure if the annual salary quoted includes the 17.5% leave loading on holiday pay).

Heliringer
26th Aug 2008, 09:54
Gullibel, Are they looking for single pilots at the moment. I look at the webpage from time to time but it always says not looking at the moment.
Whats the score if your in the know?

bladebanger
26th Aug 2008, 17:49
Just in from the cold and I get told that HNZ are having trouble with pilot numbers for the 139 contract. I did read early in the post 160 pilots put in a CV and then it was down to 100 now they are having trouble to fill the slots.

And please all the people in the know out there, please come back and tell me I'm wrong and kick up a fuss, But it is hot from the client. WOODSIDE.

Brian, Sorry about the knitting, but you must say it was a classic.

Banger

gulliBell
26th Aug 2008, 19:48
Oh really, I heard the opposite. Of all the multitude of applications received, 16 had a tick in every box, including AW139 endorsements, offshore and IFR etc etc. However, I also heard that guys without AW139 endorsements scored interviews as well. And guys without any offshore time scored interviews too. So they must have a big pool of people to choose from who can do the job, from which they only need to crew one helicopter on equal time tours. It will be interesting to see which of the two realities prevails.

Brian Abraham
26th Aug 2008, 23:32
BA, oh how you remind me of a DA, one that lives in Perth and is a right pain in the ar$e
You quite often find that a pain in the arse is caused by one having ones head stuck there in. Engage in debate rather than smart arse observations.
Since we're into a heads up I'll join some dots for you. A guy with some major pull from a very prestigious company has taken note of this thread and my reading is that he is none too impressed by a couple of comments made. But of course you already deduced as much, being such smart young Turks. :ooh:

bladebanger
27th Aug 2008, 02:56
gulliBell,
Now I know you are pulling my leg. Why would they interview guys with no offshore time when the contract states that the commander must have a minimum of 500 offshore hours. You might have to get CA do try and talk Woodside into letting a few guys on the contract. Ask anyone across the road at Bristow if they would even ask them if they could do it. I think you already know the answer.

banger

2 helicopters are on contract.

whack_job
27th Aug 2008, 05:04
BA, what mate, something about polkadots, or pimples, or joining the dots?? and a boss is on here or something? more the merrier I say buddy. Welcome.

"A guy with some major pull from a very prestigious company"
oh buddy you outed yourself with that comment, you make the cups of tea somewhere don't you, well hang in there mate, i'm sure your break will come soon enough.

blade root
27th Aug 2008, 13:33
Whack job,

You really have no idea, i think you'll find BA was in Baghdad in uniform when you where in you dads bag in liquid form. BA has retired with my more hours, more experience than you could ever wish for.....

As for waiting for his "break" he got it 30 years ago..

bellfest
27th Aug 2008, 13:48
Well done with the name whack job....spot on:D

TukTuk BoomBoom
27th Aug 2008, 14:41
Blade root..
Wack-jobs comment is called sarcasm....look it up
And when you go around talking up other peoples experience it just sounds lame. Are you president of his fan club or something?

So impressed!

(That was also sarcasm blade root)

Anyway back to HA, have we figured out how many 139s are actually on the contract?
Didnt Bristow have a couple of Pumas and 76s on it?
How do 2 semi reliable 139s replace that?

Mongrel Dog
27th Aug 2008, 16:29
TTBB
The contract you speak of is still held by Bristow. The HA contract is new one to service the soon to be developed Pluto field

blade root
28th Aug 2008, 02:43
TTBB,

You got it, i'm the number one ticket holder of the BA fan club.

Outlining the experience of others isn't lame,
blowing wind up your own a#se is........

STRYDER
28th Aug 2008, 04:31
Like the line about the bags,but I think you will find BA's big break has left a nasty taste in his mouth, as it has with most who have worked or who are working for his last employer:{
Anyone have word on when the interviews are taking place, or are they all ready completed.
Have heard that HA has more 139's on the way, up to 3 more, do they have any work for these machines, if so then they may be recruiting for some time:8, do any of the contracts have long time frames, or are they just short bursts of work, pipe laying barges do not stay around for long?
I hope HA or HNZ do well and can become a major offshore operator, it is about time for a new player on the scene:cool:

blade root
28th Aug 2008, 04:38
I think some people have been rung with a start date, which is very soon.

Word around the traps is it will be at least two years plus options.

666 advo
31st Aug 2008, 23:08
Word on the street is that all the positions have been filled.......Anyone care to comment?

bladebanger
1st Sep 2008, 00:48
666 advo,
Strange that you have heard that. All I have heard of is 3 pilots knocking them back due to money being not in the range they were already on?

Banger

dodgy1
1st Sep 2008, 01:10
Banger,

Have your contacts specified the amount that was offered?

D1

bladebanger
1st Sep 2008, 03:34
dodgy1,
Was told $157. But that is with Super and DTA added as a whole package.
The other two guys rang them as soon as they got home and declined the offer before any formal offer was made.

Banger

2dogz
9th Sep 2008, 14:30
All quiet here, second day of interviews and no posts?

Has the cat got your tongues or should I say confidentiality agreement?

The bomb is ticking at NZNP.

Screwed™
11th Sep 2008, 01:53
"Was told $157. But that is with Super and DTA added as a whole package."

You can't "add" DTA to anything. It's a reimbursement for expenses.:=
Very naughty and misleading. So take out Super and DTA, $120k?

bladebanger
11th Sep 2008, 02:48
Screwed,
I don't think they should add the super in it either as it is misleading.
Your salary is what you get paid. They are bound by law to pay 9% super and the DTA on top of that. When they offer it as a whole package it looks great. Take the two items above out and it looks very average at best.

Banger.

Does anyone know about the crews who come over from NZ and are NZ residents, will they have to pay two sets of taxes. I know that when working in Australia you will pay Aussie taxes. Thats 100% fact

spinwing
11th Sep 2008, 09:17
Mmmmmmm ...

I believe that when working in Oz you HAVE to get a Tax File No.

Then when youv'e paid Oz tax ... and made the deductions ...you should NOT be liable for NZ tax. However I understand NZ revenue will have access to the Oz tax records.

However Kiwi's should go see a taxation specialist accountant.

Be careful ..... :E

singlecut
11th Sep 2008, 18:55
It's pretty straightforward if you read:

New Zealand tax residency for companies and individuals (For non-residents & visitors) (http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-nonres/tax-residency/#01)

:)

bladebanger
12th Sep 2008, 05:17
singlecut.
If they are in NZ for 183 days or more they will have to pay both taxes then?
If they work in Australia regardless who they work for they will have to pay Australian taxes. It doesn't matter that its an NZ company or they are contractors, they work in this country, they pay in this country.

Not going to be much in the ktty for the punters if both countries have their hand in the till.

Banger

gulliBell
12th Sep 2008, 07:38
They should be taxed in Australia only. Isn't there a double taxation agreement betwen NZ and Australia, same as between Australia and PNG?? The Kiwi's who work in PNG don't get taxed in NZ because they get taxed in PNG. Same rules would apply here I expect.
Are the NZ pilots on the same deal as the Australian pilots? I wonder how the economics work out because otherwise it must be more expensive touring guys from NZ than hiring Australian's here and touring from Perth.
Is it still 14/14 or are they moving to 28/28?

kwikenz
12th Sep 2008, 22:06
Tax is only paid in one place. I think you'll find thats what the dual tax agreement actually means.

However, where there is a tax paid shortfall, the difference might have to be made up. So if for instance one jurisdiction charges 25% overall, the NZ IRD will want any percetnage difference in their favour paid.

Thieving :mad:

spinwing
14th Sep 2008, 09:45
Mmmmm ...

Also I think (?) ... that if you are not actually resident in Oz you lose out on the tax free threshold (first $6000 earned) and have to pay tax from $1 .....

...stand to be corrected on that though !!!! :uhoh:

kwikenz
15th Sep 2008, 10:43
No... quite right spinwing... you have to be a tax resident of Aus for a certain number of days to be eligible for the tax free threshold. So its tax on the full whack.

$6000 tax free for starters is not insignificant!:eek:

helopat
15th Sep 2008, 20:47
The financial discussion is just RIVETING...any word on the actual JOB?

mybighorse1
5th Oct 2008, 04:06
I got a thanks but no thanks - have all the crew been hired? would like to hear what experience the co's were hired with / and the entry captains? Any updates on the pay and conditions in the EBA:bored:

Austin Pepper
23rd Oct 2008, 10:39
I assume these positions have all been filled? Anybody on the forum successful/unsuccessful? How does the EBA compare to Bristow? Lots of rumours but can any forum members post any FACTUAL information?

helopat
24th Oct 2008, 06:37
I have applied and have NOT received a 'thanks but no thanks'...either they are being rude to me or I'm still in the 'hot' pile.

spinwing
24th Oct 2008, 07:33
helopat .... (and others) .....

I would not be too concerned .... they are probably trying to maintain that high standard of professional excellence which dictates that ....

"no communication should take place with prospective employees until the absolute last moment lest they be able to plan their lives or know what is going on!".

Then of course they will contact you with a job offer on the condition you can start "tomorrow if not sooner!"

:E

Austin Pepper
24th Oct 2008, 21:37
Helopat, not too sure about the "hot" pile. I think it might be the "cold" pile, or at best the "luke warm" file by now. Interviews were held in September and AFAIK all positions have subsequently been filled. EBA supposedly similar to Bristow but subject to a confidentiality agreement, so maybe that's why nobody is posting details. That's what I heard anyway. I was after a co-pilot position but never got a response to my application so all my info is second or third hand.

spinwing
24th Oct 2008, 23:34
Austin P ....

If what you say is correct I think it is even more unprofessional of the orginisation to not inform those who had applied to them (whether they be qualified or not) in good faith as to the status of their applications.

This "failure to communicate" seems to be the norm in Australia ATM .... IMO this gives the impression that these companies do not really consider applicants worthy of any courtesy at all .... not surprising if that attitude then is reflected back at them in the future.

:(

EBCAU
25th Oct 2008, 05:02
Hmmm.......I think there is a relationship to an NZ company here.
In my personal experience the culture of being impolite and not bothering to communicate was alive with these people as far back 1984. I have experienced it again this year from their CP who possibly wasn't old enough have been crossing the road on his own then.

It's just the way they are......big fish, but their pond is small. Perhaps you are lucky not to work for them. I know I haven't suffered from not doing so. A lot of my mates have and don't generally speak highly of it.

icebreaker.55
26th Oct 2008, 02:31
A buddy of mine applied there but said nothing in the world will make him take a job with them. They were so dam rude and those interviewing really knew nothing about what is happening with the industry down there.
A little too full of themselves man.

Ice

helopat
27th Oct 2008, 11:26
Well, it's official...positions all filled (confirmed through their HR person). I guess you're just meant to 'take a hint' when you don't hear anything for months. Sigh.

HP

integrity
3rd Nov 2008, 10:43
From much experience with them, I think you will find it best not to expect any sort of common courtesy from the management there. MBWA (management by walking around) and 'talking' with the troops does not exist within those 'hallowed halls'. Same can be said of basic comms with prospective employees. Unless of course you have every tick in every box and come in smiling pretending you've not heard any of the rumors of bad employee relations. Then you will be greeted with open arms and so long as you say 'yes sir no sir and give 'em their three bags full', you'll be the latest golden haired boy, untill you too grow tired of the sh*t. Then you will join the long and distinguished list of good pilots who have walked away onto better things! Beware, and be happy if you've not been accepted in.

"Where there is no vision, the people will perish."

Integrity.

flapbak
8th Nov 2008, 21:56
Integrity's experience is very diferent to my own: I've found management to be particulary good, and the company very accommodating (and no, I'm not HA management!).

WRT the 139 positions, poor communications with applicants was probably due to a combination of LOTS of applicants (over 150 for co-pilot), one HR manager who had trouble keeping up with the workload, and workers on Perth Airport digging up a telecommunications cable that resulted in HA losing phones and internet for about 3 weeks. A lot of applicants were well in excess of minimums (I believe somewhere between 6-18 ex CHC Nigeria(?) AW139 qualified pilots applied, but don't quote me), and typical co-pilot applicants held ATPLs and well in excess of the 500 hours minimum. Accordingly successful applicants needed "a tick in every box": they were minimum equirements afterall, and given the quantity and quality of applicants I don't think it unrealistic that applications not meeting the minimums weren't processed. I agree getting information from the company in August/September was extremely difficult, but they were powerless to get the phonelines back any quicker (deemed a low priority by Telstra as they weren't an RPT operator). Mobiles were on, but you had to have a means to get the number. I do agree that not communicating with all applicants to advise them ASAP as to their competitiveness is a bit poor, but I think the company was swamped with the number of applicants and then hamstrung when they lost comms. Not an excuse, but more to the story than most appreciate.

Anyone out there who was/is considering applying to HA in the future should not be put off by Integrity's comments: his experiences are obviously very different to mine, and I couldn't recommend the company highly enough. Typically everyones experience with an employer are different, and I doubt there's an operator that hasn't had negative comments made about them at some stage on this forum.

Flapbak

gulliBell
10th Nov 2008, 13:37
Starkly variant observations from differing sides of the fence. Interesting to note however, given reports that there were so many applicants with a tick in every box, that at least one applicant was hired as a Captain who didn't have any AW139 or offshore time (and he's off to the sim to get the endorsement). But good luck to youz all, hope you'll find experiences similar to flapbak.

TWOTBAGS
10th Nov 2008, 18:30
ZK- registered HNZ AW139 through Jeddah today on delivery.

No crew about when we left so did not know if it was for NZ or Aus

Looks very nice for you guys when you get it.:ok:

tribal
10th Nov 2008, 22:06
if all ticks in the boxes were fullfilled, how did tul get in?????

Mark Six
10th Nov 2008, 22:17
Flapbak,
Dunno anything about HA but your numbers are questionable
(6-18 AW139 drivers from CHC Nigeria). CHC only has 2 AW139's in Nigeria with mixed local and expat crews, so I doubt there are even 6 expats total who are qualified on the machine and AFAIK none of them are Aussies or Kiwis. I would therefore be very surprised if any of the pilots recruited by HA were 139 pilots from CHC Nigeria.

icebreaker.55
10th Nov 2008, 22:23
Mr Flapback
Man your comments about highly recommending a company you supposedly know nothing about says you either work there as management, or you have no idea at all about what is going on there.
Top end pilots are not supposed to walk away from an interview being made to feel like they are in a used car lot dealing with people trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
Remember, where there's smoke..............

Ice

Um... lifting...
10th Nov 2008, 22:48
Mark Six-
CHC Nigeria has as of about a month ago (at least) the following qualified expats in the 139 (there are 3 machines, not 2). These are just off the top of my head and the amount of time in type varies widely from just above zero to several hundred hours. All, without exception, are 5000+ hour pilots.
1 Aussie
1 Kiwi
1 Austrian
2 Canadians
1 American
1 German
2 Portuguese
1 French
1 Malaysian
1 Indian
1 Namibian
One American who is still with CHC has left Nigeria.
And of course, there are a similar number of Nigerian pilots in the 139.

Mark Six
10th Nov 2008, 22:54
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

rotorheadcase
11th Nov 2008, 09:04
This thread has certainly attracted polarized view of the recruiting process for this contract. I would be interested to know how many of the statements expressed here both +ve and -ve are from those who attended an interview and not " I have this mate who told me".

As one of the "high end" applicants (9000+ hours and all the ticks in the box) and who has been offered and accepted a position I can again only give my experience during the interview and subsequently.

I was more than happy with the interview and the interviewers were courteous, honest and went so far as to ask me what MY goals and ambitions were with HNZ. Whether or not they respond to those over the coming years remains to be seen but at no time did I feel like a used car salesman was bending me over the table.

I will certainly agree that their communication during the last three months has been sparse and sporadic but whenever I have contacted them with a question I have received a quick response.

I am looking forward to working for them and I hope that my initial impressions are validated.

rotorheadcase

gulliBell
11th Nov 2008, 12:15
tribal, as I said, prior assertions that everyone who was hired had a tick in every box isn't quite the whole truth. Will be interesting to see if that appointment gets past the client's aviation advisors, bearing in mind that offshore experience is stated as requirement (500 hours minimum wasn't it??)

139waka
26th Nov 2008, 05:00
Anyone else seen HNZ's new 139 heading back to Europe???

captpugwash
26th Nov 2008, 06:02
Apparently there was trouble getting clearance in Pakistan/India and it was decided it would be better to ship it to Perth from Belgium.

I did hear today that one candidate for WA has been eliminated due to no offshore experience. Think they would sort that out before the interviews...good luck to HA...

bird-strike
27th Nov 2008, 09:11
With the aircraft now being shipped from Belgium, will the HNZ(A) be in a position to meet the contracted commencement date as I understand there are still an number of pilots yet to be type rated? I assume the cancelled appointment of a pilot will only compound this issue.

Was that cancelled appointment the above named pilot who had no offshore time?

Igor13
2nd Dec 2008, 04:13
It all went quiet just when a juicy rumour started.

Did they lose someone?

Have they replaced the person?

Etc......

Keep it come'n :ok:

David Eyre
14th Jan 2009, 23:01
Two AW139s have arrived at Perth Airport - seen there on 13 January 2009:

VH-NZF (c/n 31156) registered to Helicopters NZ Pty Ltd on 06 Jan 2009. (Less than a week old).

ZK-HUL (c/n 31146) registered to Helicopters NZ Ltd on 06 Nov 2008.

Regards,
David

spinwing
15th Jan 2009, 03:26
Mmmmm ........

ZK-HUL is I think, the machine I saw transiting through Abu Dhabi late November/early December 08 ??

Nice .....

:E

David Eyre
26th Jan 2009, 21:56
Here's some nice photos of these two AW139s at Perth...

VH-NZF:
JetPhotos.Net Photo » VH-NZF (CN: 31154) Helicopters NZ Agusta-Westland AW-139 by KianHong (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6470242)

ZK-HUL (now registered VH-NZE as of 16 Jan 2009):
JetPhotos.Net Photo » ZK-HUL (CN: 31146) Helicopters NZ Agusta-Westland AW-139 by KianHong (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6466345)
JetPhotos.Net Photo » ZK-HUL (CN: 31146) Helicopters NZ Agusta-Westland AW-139 by Brenden (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6464415)
JetPhotos.Net Photo » ZK-HUL (CN: 31146) Helicopters NZ Agusta-Westland AW-139 by Brenden (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6464407)

Regards,
David

bird-strike
3rd Feb 2009, 09:28
I heard HA have emailed all pilots due to start at KTA with a new EB asking them to vote to accept it via a secret ballot.
I heard the only main changes to the EBA is to introduce a 2 yr bond (did they forget this first time round??) and as a deal sweetener added a slight increase to life insurance. Dont think a many will jump at that...
I wonder if the 'secret ballot' will be a ploy to tell all the EB is in no matter what the guys vote. How would they know if the count is correct if it is secret?

rotorheadcase
4th Feb 2009, 01:48
Given that type ratings for new employees without AW139 on their licence have already been completed in Italy and that offers of employment have been made and accepted/rejected, it would appear to be a moot point.

Pilots will have been made aware of any training bond applicable before attending the course.

blade root
4th Feb 2009, 07:50
HNZ, Helicopters (Australia), HNZ (Australia) up to old tricks...

Same dog, different leg action.....

Still trying to give the boys a pineapple, going on past dealings I believe it..

GreenerGrass
4th Feb 2009, 07:59
Blade Root,

I agree.
Why all the secrecy with the terms and conditions with their new gig in Karratha?! The packages for the other offshore operators are there to see.

chopperjake
17th Jan 2010, 01:22
The rumor is that HNZ lost the KTA AW139 work to Bristow??? Anybody know if this is true???? Are they looking for AW139 captains????

dodgy1
17th Jan 2010, 04:27
That wouldnt surprise me if they did...especially if they deal with their contracts as they deal with their pilots and engineers:}

spinwing
17th Jan 2010, 07:21
Mmm ....

Bristows ARE looking for 139 drivers .... BUT .... I understand its ONLY for their contracts in Nigeria ....

From what I understand there are no plans to operate them (139s) in Oz (?) atm this of course is all subject to retrospective amendment IAW normal helicopter company operations.

:}

High Nr
17th Jan 2010, 09:05
Nope, rumour has it that the 139's are headed for the Gorgon Project based out of North Western Australia, maybe Karratha or Exmouth.

Bristow’s have heaps of experience and guys for the Puma’s, just a little light on in the 139 department.

bladebanger
17th Jan 2010, 10:53
I spoke to one of the guys in the West today and he advises that Bristow ordered 5 139's about 6 months ago. So I guess they are going to ramp up. I know they won the tender for Gorgon and what I was told was 2 x 225's and 2 x 139's. I don't think they have any guys rated on the 139 but who knows as they have about 100 pilots floating around.

I guess the HNZ guys will be ****ting themselves.
Does anyone know if Bristow put on any Jayrow guys from Tooradin?

Banger.

Driptray
17th Jan 2010, 11:46
My understanding is that the contract HNZ had is due to expire....nothing sinister about it at all... the Bristow contract is a totally different one, HNZ and CHC were beaten by Bristow in the tendering stage.

Life goes on as normal in the offshore game, contracts come and contracts go....not rocket science!

spinwing
17th Jan 2010, 19:53
Mmmm ...

High Nr ... Very interesting ... you may well be correct about the 'Gorgon' ...

BUT I know I'm correct about Nigeria :eek:

I understand Bristows have approximately 9 139s ordered ... so both those contracts may well account for those numbers nicely!

:}

floatsarmed
17th Jan 2010, 22:44
Word on the vine is that BHA will have a minimum of 2x139s going to be based on Barrow Island along with a brace of 225s for the Gorgon project. As for the other contracts which are still not awarded.....who knows? It's aviation after all, so don't beleive it until you're sitting in the seat hitting the tit! :ok: