PDA

View Full Version : Sending out my CVs - when do I start?

INNflight
28th Jul 2008, 21:59
Hi chaps and chapettes!

I know this sub-section is mainly for people in training or yet trying to get sufficient hrs on their CVs, but I still figured it's the right forum so here we go... :ok:

One question that keeps crossing my mind over and over again lately... what time is the right time to start sending out my CVs to employers???

After being done with my CPL IFR, not yet started the ATPL part?
During ATPL groundschool?
Is it after I'm all done? After completing my ATPL exams?

---
Hope it's not as obvious to you all, because it somehow isn't to me. A mate now flying bizjets had his interview during ATPL groundschool, that's why I ask.
---

Obviously one wouldn't want to waste any time fishing for a job, considering that keeping ratings valid costs money (we all don't have enough of anyway :8 )

---
thx!
INNflt

lc_aerobatics
29th Jul 2008, 09:27
I know of two airlines that accept CV's within 4 weeks from estimated issue date for your fATPL

MIKECR
29th Jul 2008, 10:05
I dont see the point sending out anything until you have the necessary qualifications or at the very least are awaiting licence issue from the CAA. Airlines and Operators are swamped on a daily basis from alreadyqualified pilots.

Halfwayback
29th Jul 2008, 11:23
INNflight

MIKE CR makesa good point. The airlines receive hundreds of CVs weekly and the days of holding a file on a person (to be updated as they make their way up the qualification ladder) are now over. Most airlines only keep records of those in their respective pools.

Consequently, if I were you, I would get the qualifications under your belt and then send you CV out. That way you will save the expense of posting and the anguish of waiting for a reply that will be unlikely to be sent.

HWB

smith
29th Jul 2008, 12:06
Sending out my CVs - when do I start?

Round about 2012 I'd say or maybe slightly before then:ok:

Callsign Kilo
29th Jul 2008, 15:03
I sent a few CVs with a cover letters via email to a certain airline's Fleet Manager before I had completed my IR. I got an interview and was placed in a hold pool as a result. Didn't get the job in the end though as said Fleet Manager moved on. However it shows what can happen if you find the right people and push the correct buttons.

boogie-nicey
29th Jul 2008, 15:32
Callsign_kilo sorry to hear that. You did the hard part and then due to circumstances had the rug pulled from underneath you. Nevertheless it clearly demonstrates the 'how to make it happen' approach and the benefits it can have.

INNflight
29th Jul 2008, 17:50
for your replies.

I figured it would be after I'm all done, just was a tad unsure because of certain examples who did differently.

coodem
29th Jul 2008, 20:13
You cant start your ME-IR or CPL until you have done the ATPL exams

INNflight
30th Jul 2008, 08:58
You cant start your ME-IR or CPL until you have done the ATPL exams

Sorry if I'm being confused, but why wouldn't I be able to start my CPL without the ATPL exams?

In the LASORS guide it says to do the ATPL theory classes I should (can) be a holder of a CPL?!? :ooh:

Mikehotel152
30th Jul 2008, 10:08
Hi INNflight,

Check Lasors again. You don't need a CPL to start the ATPL theory classes. In fact, very few people these days will have taken that route. Most people short-cut the system by doing the ATPL theory instead of the CPL theory because most people eventually want to get a command and I don't think you can get a multi-crew command on a CPL. So, if you just do the CPL theory exams you will need to do the balance of the 14 ATPL exams if you want an ATPL in the future.

But the key point is that you have to do either the CPL or ATPL theory exams before you can start the CPL.

Hope that gives you some flavour of what Coodem was talking about. Incidentally, you can have a Multi-engine and/or Instrument Rating without having a CPL or ATPL. I'm not sure what Coodem meant by that part of his comment.

MH152

coodem
30th Jul 2008, 19:30
To do a CPL you need either ATPL written exams done or the CPL exams done, If you want an IR, the you need either IR exams or the ATPL exams done.

If you do a CPL/IR doing only the CPL/IR exams, you would have to do the ATPL exams again if you wished to go further, so see no reason to do them if you plan going further, There is not a lot extra to learn, so makes more sense to do ATPL exams from the start

INNflight
2nd Aug 2008, 19:47
Thanks very much indeed gents for clarifying!

I absolutely am aware I'll have to do my ATPLs, has always been planned, but in my plans I'd do CPL IFR and then the ATPL... I guess I should rethink that then...?!

irishone
2nd Aug 2008, 21:35
I think you can start your cpl with 12 atpl's passed. Im not 100% on that though. I finished all the ATPL's first its just a weight off your shoulders so you might as well get it out of the way without worrying about your cpl as well.
Im 3 weeks-ish off finishing my IR havent the CV out yet either, but my opinion on the sending them out early is its not going to cost you much to do it so why not.