PDA

View Full Version : Era Helicopters

carsickpuppy
26th Jul 2008, 10:03
What can anyone tell me about Era?

Training, overtime, contracts, equipment, maintenance of equipment, etc.

Did a search with no results, so maybe no news is good news.

diginagain
26th Jul 2008, 10:35
Any help? (http://www.erahelicopters.com/):ok:

carsickpuppy
26th Jul 2008, 11:29
Thanks dig, I've looked through their website, but I was hoping for some opinions from current or former pilots who flew for them.

Loose_Cyclic
26th Jul 2008, 19:32
"What can anyone tell me about Era?
Training, overtime, contracts, equipment, maintenance of equipment, etc."

Just recently finished working for Era Helicopters.

1. Training.... Not too bad, give good training but could be improved in some areas, they have just opened a new training center in Lake Charles and are working to improve training standards.

2. Overtime.... Depends on the aircraft you fly, the need for workover changes all the time depending on which pilots their short of, right now there's a lot of workover for AW139 captains.

3. Contracts.... Varies from production jobs in an A-Star, Pipeline patrol in EC135s to Drilling rigs in AW139s. Good opportunity to upgrade to different airframes and move to different contracts.

4. Equipments.... Nice airframes, lots of new aircraft, lots of variety, probably the best fleet in the GoM.

5. Maintenance.... Generally quite good but depends on the base... Always do a good preflight!!!

tottigol
27th Jul 2008, 00:01
Best of luck in your future endeavours, I know you'll do great wherever you go.
Pete and I say Ciao.:ok:

alouette3
27th Jul 2008, 02:08
Loose Cyclic:

Not stirring up faecal matter here. Genuinely interested in ERA as a prospective employer. But, yours is the first positive post I have read about ERA. On the "other" forum, ERA comes in for a lot of bashing for management, maintenance ,training etc. While I know perceptions and individual experiences can be widely different,is there in truth to the stuff on the "other" forum?
Alt3

jab
27th Jul 2008, 02:31
Draadkar

You can disregard most of what you hear on the dark side, too many idiots with an axe to grind. If you do get good information, someone will heap dirt on top of it until you are not sure which version is the truth. I take what I read there with a big pinch of salt.

I also worked for Era but only about 5 months and I left because of my home situation, not due to the company. I must admit, offshore in the GOM is not my favourite, especially in the big ships with legs of 90 to 115 miles over water, very boring but some guys will like that. Weather was good during my time so nothing exciting happened.

I found the training to be very good, minor hiccups here and there in scheduling who goes where but it is a big company with a lot happening, I accepted that so it did not bug me.

I never did workover because I was living on a different continent, too complicated to get into but it was my reason for leaving. Workover was available and paid well, some 61 captains were making about $110 000 a year with a few workovers, not bad.

I was not on one dedicated contract but some ships were and it could go either way, lots of flying some days and very little on others. I averaged 50 hours every two weeks.

I was impressed with the aircraft being flown, mine was ancient but in excellent condition for an old bus. Lots of new stuff either already there or soon will be. If you work hard and keep your nose clean promotion will come quickly.

Maintenance on my type was very good. Being an older type there were many small snags but sorted out quickly. I heard a lot of the maintenance guys have left so I don't know what its like now, I left 2 years ago.

I enjoyed working there.

Loose_Cyclic
27th Jul 2008, 10:09
Yes there is always "some" truth in what you hear on rumour networks and forums, but also the people who are upset about something tend to be the most vocal. I know lots of other people that are happy at Era. There are some genuine concerns and problems but what company is perfect?, if you find one let me know. I didn't leave because I was unhappy, far from it, I just had a much better offer working in the Middle East which I see as a good long term opportunity. If you work hard at Era upgrades come quickly, but remember, many of the problems working in the GoM are the same problems at PHI or Airlog. Hope this helps and good luck :ok:

Loose_Cyclic
27th Jul 2008, 10:22
Thanks tottigol :ok: Say hi to Peter for me

alouette3
27th Jul 2008, 12:40
Thank you all for the sensible and balanced responses. Sure is a refreshing change!!
Fly safe.
Alt3.

TunaSandwich
27th Jul 2008, 16:19
Any truth that ERA are looking to get a foothold in Central America?

rotorboy
27th Jul 2008, 18:47
I didnt know there are oil platforms in ohio, Kansas, Illinois and Missouri

tottigol
27th Jul 2008, 20:03
ERA Helicopters is growing and some of the contracts involve flying for customers outside the USA and the Gulf of Mexico.
We just completed a contract is Suriname and have several other good prospective contracts in other countries those include Australia, China, a large South American Country and a Mediterranean one.

Most of the libel written on the dark site is just that, largely directed to someone in particular and mostly coming from one or two individuals with an axe to grind, whether they are right or wrong.

seang
28th Jul 2008, 00:16
Sorry to sound totally naive, but what is the "other" forum - the "dark side" one? I only ask as I feel I might be missing out on something.
Cheers
Sean

jab
28th Jul 2008, 01:06
Just Helicopters :yuk:

Beware the dark side young Skywalker!

seang
28th Jul 2008, 10:53
thank you JAB, I'm going in, just out of curiosity. Wish me luck

Land of LA
4th Aug 2008, 18:04
What specific questions do you have? I have worked for Era for about 2 years. Started in a A119 with no offshore experience and a currently flying a EC135 on the Shell pipeline contract.

FH1100 Pilot
4th Aug 2008, 19:36
Well, if anything on the "dark side" forum can be believed, Era has begun or will shortly begin paying for commuting! (Or some portion of it.) This is an extradordinary step.

Era may be the first GOM operator to see the light and accept the fact that: a) not everyone wants to live on the U.S. gulf coast (or actually in Louisiana for that matter) and that b) commuting from far-away places gets old after a while, especially when you realize how much money you're spending just getting to and from work.

Expect the other GOM operators to follow suit shortly.

MrEdd
5th Aug 2008, 01:56
Have a friend working for ERA and can confirm that itīs true.
The amount you will recive depends on how far you live from the base.
But if im not wrong so is it up to 500$ per month.:ok:
Very generous of ERA i think. But thatīs just my 5cent.

SASless
5th Aug 2008, 04:03
How does one come to be an "axe grinder"?

Is axe grinding legitimate?

If legitimate....what causes axe grinding?

Are these real axes....or merely imaginary axes?

If real...would not there be some concern byr prospective employees upon hearing the grinding noises or even by the employer?

212man
5th Aug 2008, 04:58
How does one come to be an "axe grinder"?

You have to first serve an apprenticeship as an organ grinder's monkey, then progress to organ grinder, and then - with appropriate lucky breaks and opportunities - you may become an axe grinder. Not all succeed.......:E

carsickpuppy
5th Aug 2008, 08:28
Land of LA

One specific question would be how much overtime is available, but I'm guessing that would depend on the contract, in fact some of the other answers to my questions would probably depend on the contract (like overnights on rigs). Would I even be on a contract starting out? Or a pilot pool? I have no experience in the GOM and this will be my first foray over that way. Company compensation for commuting sounds real good, also their international contracts would be appealing to me..Thanks for the replies

tottigol
5th Aug 2008, 11:09
Puppy, it would depend on the contract and the customer requirements with regards to pilot experience.
Generally speaking the Company assigns a particular aircraft depending on your previous experience and interview results; you may find yourself starting up as a SIC in either the '76 or the '139 if you have low enough experience and then advance to the single engine light/single pilot turbine crowd (AS-350 and A-119), or may find yourself assigned to the 350 and 119 directly and then move up to the 109 and the 135.

I can confirm that ERA has begun a travel allowance program in which depending on where you live, you may elect to either receive a 200$ monthly bonus (taxable) or have your airline ticket reimbursed (up to 500$).
However, if you electo to fly down to the Gulf area, you shall still need some kind of personal transportation there.

FH1100 Pilot
5th Aug 2008, 12:42
"One specific question would be how much overtime is available..."

Is available?? Why on God's green earth would anyone want to work overtime?

The companies will tell you that because of your 7&7 or 14&14 schedule, you are only working "half" the year...the implication being that you only work "half as much" as someone with a "normal" job. You might tend to agree with this if you don't look at it too closely.

As a GOM pilot you will be away from home for more than half your life while working, in real duty hours, just as much (if not more) as someone who works a regular and comparable* 9-to-5 job (i.e. not a grocery bagger or garbageman). You will work about 183 days while the "9-to-5" guy works...no, not 365 days but 245 days. Do the math.

You're working "half" of what?

And people want to work more? Astounding.

How much of a slave do you want to be?

*We're assuming here an employee (salaried or hourly) with training, licensing and experience (if not risk) comparable to us, who's in a "decent" job with two weeks of vacation and 7 or 8 holidays off per year. I know plenty of people like this. On the surface they say they envy the 7&7 schedule, but then they themselves almost never put in a 5-day/40-hour week. They often get three-day weekends, *and* they get to sleep in their own bed every night.

photex
5th Aug 2008, 12:53
A quick question for those in the know here, as I didn't want to start a new topic just for the sake of it.

- Where are the GOM operators actually based?
- Is it in the US or Mexico?

I'm asking because of visa issues with me being a Brit and all.

Gomer Pylot
5th Aug 2008, 15:45
FH1100, the answer to your question is the same as the answer to most other questions - money. Some people need money more than they need free time. Not all of us, but a fair percentage. With the way inflation is skyrocketing, that percentage will increase at a pretty fast clip. Your wants and needs are not the wants and needs of everyone. Nor are mine.

SASless
5th Aug 2008, 16:19
The old 7/7 roster purely sucked.....at least on a 14/14 roster you can have a fair bit of time off at home. Those who live a full days drive away from the job really do more like a 9/5 if you count commuting time. Granted 14 days straight in a four or five man trailer sharing showers and kitchen space gets old quick too. Except for Cook Inlet near Kenai, Alaska....The Almighty surely used his sense of humour when he stuck oil where he did.

Nigeria...Saudi....the North Slope....Louisana.....Norwich....the Shetlands!

ScubaPilot77
7th Sep 2008, 14:22
I am considering applying to ERA to fly in the GoM and looking for some information to help with decision making. Could someone knowledgeable of ERA GoM ops offer insights?

-- Is it possible to negotiate the type of aircraft to which one will be assigned? For example, I would like to fly the Augusta 109. Any way to make sure that is the aircraft I'll get?

-- Starting pay and workover rate for an ATP with more 3000+ hours? (I have seen the JH salary website but I'm not sure how current or accurate the information is.)

-- I would like to fly a lot of hours a month. Is it possible to ensure getting put on a (I think this is the correct term) "production contract" or whatever it is called to ensure max flight time per month?

-- Generally speaking, how long is one a "pool" or reserve pilot before getting assigned to a permanent slot where you are flying every day?

-- Is it possible to negotiate NOT being in the pool, i.e., going directly to a high-flight hour contract? Not the intent to jump over anyone, but if ERA needs guys who like to, and are willing to, fly a lot will they put you to work right away or is the process entirely seniority-based?

tottigol
7th Sep 2008, 15:46
-- Is it possible to negotiate the type of aircraft to which one will be assigned? For example, I would like to fly the Augusta 109. Any way to make sure that is the aircraft I'll get?

We have 5 109s in the fleet, two or three of those fly on a MMS (Government) contract, one out of New Orleans (5&2) and one is I believe in Mobile, one out of Fourchon and one out of Houma (all GoM garden spots). I think we are only looking for someone willing to move to New Orleans for that 5&2 job. As a note, a 5&2 contract brings in a 35% extra bonus, although you HAVE to move there.

-- Starting pay and workover rate for an ATP with more 3000+ hours? (I have seen the JH salary website but I'm not sure how current or accurate the information is).
The numbers on JH are accurate and current. The company can offer you a higher starting salary though, mainly depending on you GoM experience.

-- I would like to fly a lot of hours a month. Is it possible to ensure getting put on a (I think this is the correct term) "production contract" or whatever it is called to ensure max flight time per month?
No 109 flies strictly production, those contracts are mostly covered by singles. The only contract CURRENTLY flying a decent amount of hours is Anadarko out of Fourchon (about 50 to 60 hours on a good month).

-- Generally speaking, how long is one a "pool" or reserve pilot before getting assigned to a permanent slot where you are flying every day?
You'll be on a job just about right away if you have the minimum customer requirements, those are mainly Time in Type, Time in Gulf, Gulf Winters and Total PIC Time.

-- Is it possible to negotiate NOT being in the pool, i.e., going directly to a high-flight hour contract? Not the intent to jump over anyone, but if ERA needs guys who like to, and are willing to, fly a lot will they put you to work right away or is the process entirely seniority-based?
No one gets bumped from an existing contract when assigned to it, unless they move up the line, for the rest see my answer above

ERA is always looking for qualified pilots and you may even be slotted to a 139 or 76 position right away, PM me and I can give you more info.

parcasna
23rd Jan 2010, 02:15
I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM BUT, I HAVEN'T RECEIVED A RESPONSE FROM THE ERA TRAINING TEAM. I WILL APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.
THANK YOU.

parcasna.:)

You Call That Final
23rd Jan 2010, 10:47
They probably canīt hear you Parcasna. Shout at them.

iow CAPS off please :)

parcasna
23rd Jan 2010, 13:13
I tried to contact them but, I haven't received a response from the ERA Training Team. I will appreciate your comments, thank you.

Peter PanPan
21st May 2011, 09:55
Anyone knows the figures for SIC salaries with ERA, for both their EMS Ops (Cleveland, Miami...) and Offshore flying 76? Thanks:ok:

S92 driver
21st May 2011, 11:53
I found this on the internet but nothing about SIC.

Helicopter Pilot Salaries, Helicopter Pilot Pay,Pilot Pay (http://www.thehelicoptersource.com/id111.html)

S92 driver
21st May 2011, 11:55
I found this on the internet but didn't find anything about pay for SIC.

Helicopter Pilot Salaries, Helicopter Pilot Pay,Pilot Pay (http://www.thehelicoptersource.com/id111.html)

SASless
21st May 2011, 12:22
Have you tried calling them and simply asking?

I am sure their recruiter will be more than happy to share that information with you......unless they have finally gotten a conscience and just cannot bring themselves to do so.

Peter PanPan
21st May 2011, 21:27
@S92: Thanks for the link. Will look into it.

@SASless: Thank you for your suggestion, I have not tried to call them, got in touch with them about the Lake Charles training facility and some of the Initial/Recurrent Pilot trainings they conduct but haven't thought about calling them about this. Are the salaries that low? :oh:

voando
2nd Aug 2011, 00:15
Heard ERA are paying captains almost US$ 200K for flying 61īs in Brazil - long lining? Rumour is Sky Crane will soon join the fleet as well - with equally huge uplifting salaries, no doubt! Market expanding rapidly though not enough national pilots to meet the demand. How do I get a licence there!!? :ok:

voando
2nd Aug 2011, 23:53
Someone pmīd to correct me - it is the Brazilian company Aeroleo supplying pilots for HRT. :rolleyes:

RtrHead
2nd Sep 2011, 02:55
I saw the job posting for A109 instructor at Era. I enjoy instructing, and thought it sounded interesting. Does anyone have any information on (hopefully) instructing at Era or (at least) working for Era nowadays?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

RtrHead
13th Sep 2011, 01:50
I have an interview with Era, and would appreciate any insight that will help me be better prepared.

1.) Written test: Pretty straight forward, not concerned.
2.) Sim: Any idea what aircraft? What GPS? What procedures?
3.) Interview: Tech questions? HR questions?

Any help is appreciated.

Aerobot
29th Oct 2011, 20:59
If so, I'm hoping you'll answer some questions. I'm thinking about Era's international operations. If you'll take a minute:

How do the hitches work in those countries? Do they do a six-weeks-on/six-weeks-off rotation like some of the Persian Gulf operators do? Or do they just require that you move to whatever country for the duration of the assignment?
Are they primarily SPIFR on those assignments, or do they vary between dual-pilot or SPVFR?
Is the overseas work O&G support, or if not: what else do they do?
Is the pay for the overseas work the same as on that pay schedule they publish? That table seems to be for the GOM guys - or is it everyone?
And finally, how is Era to work for, generally?
Thanks! :ok:

gulliBell
1st Nov 2011, 05:13
I called their HQ in Lake Charles and got put to voice mail. They never called me back, I guess that means all S76 touring positions must be filled.