PDA

View Full Version : CHC International Offshore v's Onshore

Curious2
26th Jul 2008, 07:04
I would like to know if CHC international pays different rates to its offshore pilots than it does to its onshore. "Rumour" has it this may happen in SouthEast Asia. Is this a precedent?

Choppers Rule
26th Jul 2008, 12:21
CHC international does not exist anymore. CHC Helicopter Corporation has various sections. CHC Global Operations operates contracts in Asia,Africa and South America. There is a different rate for IFR captains and IFR offshore captains. Once you are an IFR Offshore Captain you will get that pay onshore as well. There is very few onshore contracts at this stage.

inputshaft
27th Jul 2008, 00:01
Curious 2.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Do you mean:
A. Do you get paid more if you're working in the offshore industry as opposed to flying, say, a UN contract? That was what "Choppers Rule" answered above. He was in a peculiar position where he was made Captain during a UN contract and did earn less for a few months before moving to a offshore job. But that would be an oddity, especially as we have few, if any, non O & G contracts left in CHC Global, so it's a bit of an academic question.
or
B. Do you get paid more if you remain offshore at night? Most companies do. Again that's a bit academic as CHC Global operates a medium/heavy fleet and doesn't really get involved in production run type work.

I'd be interested in your SE Asia rumor though, as I work there at present:ok:

SICKorSKI
27th Jul 2008, 01:14
False Rumour!

CHC has no onshore contracts in SE Asia at present.

Variable Load
27th Jul 2008, 15:59
As we're all trying to second guess the real reason behind Curious2's question :ugh:

Perhaps he is referring to TAS? Do the guys that spend the night offshore get an extra allowance?

unstable load
27th Jul 2008, 16:02
TAS no longer has an overnight crew, night standby machine stays in SKL.

Curious2
28th Jul 2008, 04:35
Not SE Asia but specifically Australia
Guys,

Was trying to be a bit subtle, but as usual it is a skill I don't possess.

CHC Asutralia has offshore and onshore (EMS/SAR) contracts.

The RUMOUR is that it wants to split the salaries for these two streams and pay the onshore component substantially less than the offshore. Was trying to see if this has been done before anywhere else in the company. Sounds like Australia has slightly different ops than other parts of the Global business.

Sorry to stir up any other groups.

Swamp76
28th Jul 2008, 13:23
When the various non-European business units of CHC were rolled into CHC Global it is true that CHC Australia became part of Global but because of the pay structure and legacy contracts of Lloyd's (non-O&G) it remains a unique business unit.

My most relevant experience to relate from International (when it existed) and Global has been the hiring of experienced pilots who lacked some qualifications for offshore contracts. They were paid as "IFR captains" and employed offshore as copilots until the requirements were met and an upgrade took place.