PDA

View Full Version : Seabourne Airlines

beachbumflyer
25th Jul 2008, 22:10
Does anybody know something about working conditions for pilots at Seabourne and about living in St. Croix?
Thanks.

alibabaskid
4th Aug 2008, 20:08
my bro works for seaborne, made capt in 6 months. st. croix is expensive unless you compare it to L.A. $1000 / mo for a crappy apt. the natives are idiots, unmotivated, theiving. All in all, hes happy

beachbumflyer
10th Aug 2008, 10:49
Thanks, Alibaba
How's the pay?

SherpaDriver
11th Aug 2008, 16:44
my bro works for seaborne, made capt in 6 months. st. croix is expensive unless you compare it to L.A. $1000 / mo for a crappy apt. the natives are idiots, unmotivated, theiving. All in all, hes happy

Wow..it's good to know that one doesn't have to look too far to get "objective" commentary about aviation in St. Croix. Your racist commentary really shines through in your post.:eek: I don't know if the views you've expressed are those of your brother or you but it never ceases to amaze me how individuals who have so much contempt for their living conditions and surroundings do nothing to change their situation but criticize at any opportunity.

Your generalizations do nothing more than flaunt your ignorance. I fly in that region regularly and with the exception of the high cost of living there, nothing else you've said even remotely rings true. St. Croix, St. Thomas and St. John are part of the U.S. Virgin Islands and hundreds of thousands of tourists flock there from all over the world every year. It is an American territory with a very diverse and multi-cultural population. If you have so much contempt for the local population (not "natives"):= and aviation in that region then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! St. Croix, like everywhere else in the world, has its positives and negatives but to paint the entire island with one broad brush...you come across as a bigot and a racist. :mad:

Seaborne is a well-established airline in the region and is the lifeline for connecting the three islands with their ability to takeoff and land in the ocean. There is a flight school near Lakeland, Florida where you can get a Single/Multiengine Seaplane endorsement on your license real fast. If you've got a beef with St. Croix, I'm sure you can bring your point across intelligently without flaunting your ingorant commentary for the rest of the world to read!:D

Pilot135pd
23rd Aug 2008, 23:56
I was just about to put him in place but you did it a nicer way than I was going to. Very true reply, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are mentioned in the way he did by people who've never been there or get info from newbie pilots that are starting at the bottom of the barrel and are just scraping by.

HSInop
8th Sep 2008, 11:24
NIce tounge lashing. it twas a nice one:ok:. Is there anyone out there have a good idea as to what the pilots make as FOs and Captains? Been trying to find out and no one seems to know that answer. Would like to know per month and year before packing the wife and kids. :}

clknodl
20th Oct 2008, 23:18
In 2003 the pay was for a FO 26k, co captain 44k, and first year captain 52k second year captain 60k. I think they don't pay the co captain that much anymore but I also heard that they actually got an increase in pay.

Living is expensive, crime is high, and on St. Croix there are hardly any tourists. They are all in St thomas or St john.

It is a great job to get your feet wet. Seaborne is a good local comapany with its normal ups and downs.

I did it for amost 3 years and had a great time.

Good luck

beachbumflyer
22nd Oct 2008, 21:40
Thanks, clknodl

contrabando
26th Oct 2008, 15:57
This is to the sanctimonious island idiot know-it-all who says he "flies there regularly" to St. Croix & St. Thomas. Well, I LIVED THERE (both islands) for 3 years in the early 80s & the place was an overcrowded, polluted, over-run by tourists, bastion of local punks & Rastas looking to give whitey a hard time.

I had to rescue a pilot friend of mine from being beaten by two local punks one night at 2am. When they saw the fight was going to be even they ran their coward punk asses off.

Another local loud mouth at an airport bar was running his mouth off one night about how "the white people needed to get off HIS island." He never shut up & I had just put in a 14 hour day for Virgin Air. I stepped right in his FACE & told him to shut the hell up & didn't want to hear anymore of his CRAP. Again, with no crowd backing him up he slowly walked on down the beach. Yes, your local PALS are very brave until they find a WHITE GUY with no intention of putting up with your island pal's crap.

AND AM I A RACIST? I'm currently flying for the UN WORLD FOOD PROGRAM IN DARFUR, AFRICA providing FOOD to the world's most miserably starving people.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE SPEWING OUT YOUR CAKE HOLES. Just because people state what they REALLY MEAN & REALLY EXPERIENCED is no reason to say they are arrogant or racist or bigots.

You need to GROW UP & realize the world is no Cheery place anymore. That blacks are just as racist as whites. That there are RATHOLES WHERE RATS LIVE AND TWO OF THOSE PLACES ARE ST. THOMAS AND ST. CROIX!

My real name is Bill Catalina & my real address is [email protected]. Write me & I'll give you more than you can chew on with your sanctimonious attitude. I'm sick of you people, blacks & the white ass kissers who agree with you on everything because they don't have the balls to stand up or think for themselves. You want to DO SOMETHING for your people besides run that mouth of yours>....COME TO DARFUR WISE ASS. You can work in this 120+ degree heat, fly Twin Otters, smell the smells, watch the suffering, the bleeding, the starving, feel the abject misery at the hands of your fellow blacks killing & maiming other blacks. I'm waiting...You people make me sick, especially the whites who put up with this know-it-all.

Check 6
26th Oct 2008, 19:38
I lived on St. Thomas in the 90s for about 1.2 years. There was crime there (like everywhere else in the world) but if you avoided the "projects" there were no problems. My wife drove around by herself without any problems.

dannyjet
28th Oct 2008, 05:36
I don't know if the views you've expressed are those of your brother or youWell now we have the views from both brothers, there you go.

VictoryAviation
31st Oct 2008, 19:53
He who calls one a racist usually is the racist.

SherpaDriver
5th Nov 2008, 09:10
This is to the sanctimonious island idiot know-it-all who says he "flies there regularly" to St. Croix & St. Thomas. Well, I LIVED THERE (both islands) for 3 years in the early 80s & the place was an overcrowded, polluted, over-run by tourists, bastion of local punks & Rastas looking to give whitey a hard time.

First of all Bill, as tempting as it might be to stoop to your level with the insults I will resist that urge because you aren't worth the effort. I guess you figured why come up with a coherent argument when an insult will work just as well. You say you lived on both islands 20+ years ago yet you consider yourself a current authority on life in the Virgin Islands. The world has changed quite a bit since you were there but I suspect with all your pent-up rage you wouldn't notice that. :ugh:I guess you're feeling pretty brave to give the forum your real name and email address...well good for you. I hope you don't mind but I will pass on your invitation to write you personally...maybe others on the forum may want to hear what you have to say.

I have served in the Armed Forces for over two decades and currently serve in the National Guard where my pilot duties have me flying military aircraft in and around the U.S. Virgin Islands EVERY MONTH so my observations about the people and life over there are fairly current and, I believe, accurate. Over the years I have served in combat and several major military operations around the world and would hold my resume up against yours any day of the week. I take nothing away from what you are doing in Africa...those type of flying services are needed over there and I commend anyone who does work in that part of the world. However, you don't have a monopoly on flying experience into Africa..as a member of the U.S. armed forces I have flown humanitarian missions over there as well as five of the seven continents in the world so get off your high horse because you are preaching to the choir.:=

If there was anything about my previous post that got you so angry then why don't you address that and stop your childish tirade. I took someone to task for making derogatory comments and broad generalizations about the people who live in the USVI and provided a little insight about the islands and their place in the world. I never claimed to be a "know-it-all" and was strictly expressing my opinion..which others on the forum obviously agreed with. So if that makes me "sanctimonious" then I am guilty as charged!

I had to rescue a pilot friend of mine from being beaten by two local punks one night at 2am. When they saw the fight was going to be even they ran their coward punk asses off.

If you had a bad experience over there does that now mean every Virgin Islander is bad? Do you mean that for the 3 years you lived there no single person made a positive impression on you? You had no friends who were Virgin Islanders and were you completely miserable for the entire time there because everyone around you didn't conform to how you wanted them to exist. If you answered "yes" to any of those questions then you might want to hold a mirror up to your face and take a good look at yourself. You might actually be the problem..because if the USVI is as bad as you claim it is then tourism would have died on that island a long time ago. But with the number of cruise ships docking there daily, and flights from the U.S. and other countries packed with tourists, someone (besides you) obviously thinks making a trip to USVI equals having a nice vacation and a good time. If life was so bad for you then you should have pulled chocks and moved after the first few months living there...we all make choices in life so you obviously made the decision to stay.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE SPEWING OUT YOUR CAKE HOLES. Just because people state what they REALLY MEAN & REALLY EXPERIENCED is no reason to say they are arrogant or racist or bigots.

You need to GROW UP & realize the world is no Cheery place anymore. That blacks are just as racist as whites. That there are RATHOLES WHERE RATS LIVE AND TWO OF THOSE PLACES ARE ST. THOMAS AND ST. CROIX!

Go back and read your words again and see how ridiculous you sound. The USVI population are now reduced to rats and people are supposed to take your post seriously. I don't know you but you seem really judgemental and quite full of yourself. I don't know if you are looking for some kind of medal or award because you fly airplanes in a developing country. But I sense a lot of contempt in your words for people of color and anyone reading your post, Black or White, might have a suspicion or draw the conclusion that you do what you do in that region of the world because you have to, and not because you want to. Whether you realize it or not, there is a lot of contempt in your words when talking about Black people so I question your desire to be in that part of the world because you are trying to make a difference for someone less fortunate than yourself. This forum started as a fact-finding mission about Seabourne Airlines and I still stand by my claim that its a good company to work for and flying in and around the USVI and Caribbean can be a career or a fun and exciting stepping-stone to move on to other flying jobs in the future.

Anyway my man, fly safe and keep doing what you are doing...:D

perceval
5th Nov 2008, 13:55
he still doesn't know how much he'll be making . Sounds like a fun job . Nothing wrong with those places and I think the 'packed' wife and kids shouldn't mind life in the caribbeans too much .
Have fun

Goffel
7th Nov 2008, 14:18
Vok Broer.

U yanks certainly know how to chirp each other....and there we thought us okes from Africa were the only ones being called racists.

Since I am not interested in your fight, my question is...what aircraft do they fly on the islands, and are there jobs available for 5000 hr multi engine turbine pilots.

Mr Bill....are you flying for ET in Sudan...if so...who has bought the twotters as ET are not renewing the twotter contract next year?.

Goffel..:oh:

chongololo
3rd Dec 2008, 18:10
Lyk 'it Goffel.

They fly twin otters on floats at Seaborne.
Not sure about hiring but remember it is the USVI and green card will be required for employment.
Good luck.

B Sousa
15th Dec 2008, 05:19
Your racist commentary really shines through in your post.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif I don't know if the views you've expressed are those of your brother or you but it never ceases to amaze me how individuals who have so much contempt for their living conditions and surroundings do nothing to change their situation but criticize at any opportunity.

I will take a piece of that pie. Lived and worked there for a few years.
The Virgin islanders and the majority of those who think that is their roots are probably some of the most corrupt people for which the U.S. taxpayer gets hosed. Police are useless and usually involved in most of the activity. Anything to do with getting government workers to function is a total loss. Major cases handled by the local FBI Office: Political Corruption.
As to "do nothing with changing their situations" you must be asleep in that Sherpa. The Government pours tons of money into those islands all they get is useless government agencies that piss money away and nothing gets done. Shall we talk about the "Bridge to Nowhere" on the east side of St Thomas. One that was paid for by the taxpayers when one of the local crooked senators got funding. The dam bridge sits there for what twenty years with no road on either end. Just one of many from those dope smoking idiots. Maybe empty out all the Turnbull bank accounts and then cap him on the beach like they do in liberia...

So easy for some shmoe to label people racists when the root of the problem is one race. Go vote for a democrat. The majority who live in the projects are a bunch of ungrateful losers. So much so they have to build new projects as these folks destroyed the first one on St thomas.
Sherpadriver is getting a bit touchy sitting over there in St Croix drawing all the big bucks, probably does not have to deal with everyday life at least on St Thomas.
Of the three islands the only livable one is St John. Prices keep out most of the trash. St Croix is a little rural and as long as you dont wander out at night in the cities or try walking around, your odds are better. Do that at night near Smith bay and if you only get robbed your lucky.
St Croix as I remember got so bad the cruise ships refused to dock for a while.
As for a lot of the white trash that hit that place, most are seeking the good life after wasting most of theirs in other places. Dead end jobs for dead heads.
Lots of tourisim there, most are disappointed if they venture off the ships as to rip off prices, urine soaked beaches and trash all over the place. Most tourist who stay on the islands stay in "compounds" or areas that are off limits to any other than guests. Wonder why that is......

As to Seaborne who are no longer doing tours, all I have known who work for them are satisfied. Its a place to get twin turbine MES time and they seem to be happy with the latest pay. I think the routes would bore me to tears, but thats just me.

So now I can sit back and let Sherpa driver tell me why I want to live in french town. Check 6 and I both had the same backrounds in other lives, so dont call us racist, call us realists. The difference between a racist and a tourist on St Thomas is usually about an hour.
Celebrities?? Yep have a few down that way. In fact Kelsey Grammer was born there. Lovely place, his father was murdered there. Tim Duncan, big basketball star, St Croix. The Government actually had to cut a deal with him so he would call that place home..... (Its called tax incentives) Most all of the other celebs live in the BVI, probably safer.
Hows my bud in the Panther Navajo, he retire yet??

Hows this one....Yes there are many GOOD Honest Virgin islanders......

Goffel, come visit the islands, you would even become Gatvol in no time.

SherpaDriver
17th Dec 2008, 05:30
You are entitled to your opinion about life in the Virgin Islands as do I so don't hold your breath if you're waiting for me to counter everything you've just written. If you weren't such an intellectual lightweight you would see that I have never tried to paint a picture of utopia or paradise in the USVI; I just have a problem with folks who like to generalize about people or places when the realities on the ground don't reflect the truth. If you think the USVI has a monopoly on corruption or funds mismanagement then you are sadly mistaken (Russia, Ukraine, and Venezuela, are countries that come to mind).

At the end of the day, anyone choosing to work for Seabourne (that's what this original post was about in the first place) will make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions about life in the Virgin Islands when they come down to work and fly for the company. I wish them "good luck"...:ok:

NZ X man
17th Dec 2008, 18:51
WHEW!! Glad that is over with, wonder if it is going to rain today?:}

B Sousa
18th Dec 2008, 18:54
If its in the VI it will rain today.........

If you think the USVI has a monopoly on corruption

Stick to the VI, as its in the U.S., nobody cares about Russia or other places those are a given.
Just want those who want to work for Seaborne what they may be in for in that "Tourist Attraction" of the Carribean.

I just have a problem with folks who like to generalize about people or places when the realities on the ground don't reflect the truth
Au Contrare, from the intellectual lightweight, it is the truth. I dont expect you to counter anything, just want those who may be heading that way to get a heads up as life will be different. Sort of like living in Washington D.C. but with better weather.

Carrier
19th Dec 2008, 03:44
Quote: “.....anyone choosing to work for Seabourne (that's what this original post was about in the first place) will make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions about life in the Virgin Islands.....”

Yes they will! But those who are smart will try to find out some facts from others on which to make their decisions. They try to learn from other people’s experiences and avoid making the same mistakes that others have made in the past. That's why they ask for advice and other members's experiences on forums such as PPRuNe. It’s great that there are posters like B. Sousa who are firstly prepared to share their experiences and advice and help others and secondly in these politically correct times are prepared to call a spade a spade and give a true picture of what is there.

Alfredo tp
7th Jan 2009, 11:52
Hi Bill,

are you still flying for the UN? I am interested in such jobs, more than airliners. And it's not about doing hours, etc. for me, so...

Any info on application contact, or similar would be great. Where are you right now?

Must be a nice job. Can you tell me more, please!

Thanks and happy new year!

Alfredo

ManagedNav
6th Feb 2009, 03:09
Well, that was interesting....

I was born and raised in STT and still have family there. I flew for Sunair Express for a short while; based in STX.

As most would expect, I developed a level of local street smarts, a constant awareness, that kept me out of trouble most of the time. That natural instinct was no match for St. Croix.

The reality of the matter is that St. Croix, since Hurricane Hugo, has slid into the abyss of anarchy. The police are totally ineffective and crime, usually violent crime, is rampant. Almost all violent crimes are directed against tourists or white locals. Every major airline used to have direct flights to STX from the states...no longer.

For those that are considering moving there, only consider doing so if you are single or if married, no children. If you go out in public, at least once a day you will be reminded of the local's disdain for white people.

If you like adventure and good flying, go for it. Just don't arrive totally naive to your new surroundings.

P.S. Anybody got any photos of Sunair's Twotter's? I can't find even one on the internet!

B Sousa
6th Feb 2009, 13:09
Managed Nav... Born in St Thomas, just like Kelsey Grammer. His memory was that his father was murdered there. Fine place. if your passing through...............in the daytime. I have less problems in Africa.

More than likely Sherpa Driver was picked for the National Guard job for some reason other than his flying ability.

SherpaDriver
12th Feb 2009, 09:45
To B. Sousa;

More than likely Sherpa Driver was picked for the National Guard job for some reason other than his flying ability.

And what reason would that be if you don't mind me asking? But I suppose you're probably right...it must be for some other reason. It could not possibly be because I'm a decorated combat veteran with thousands of flight hours who served with distinction in the U.S. military for 20+ years. I'm sorry, I didn't get the memo, but who the hell are you again?

You seem bent on proving to the the world that the Virgin Islands is the most undesirable place on the planet to live and work. For the record, I am not from St. Croix and not from the US Virgin Islands and don't work for the USVI Tourism Board. I am only an airline pilot and an individual who has travelled the world and is open-minded and objective enough to not condemn an entire island territory or country over the actions of some of its citizens. I will say again...are there undesirable and criminal-minded members of the population there...of course. But I have also met some pretty awesome people there who have shown me kindness, respect and hospitality so I am hard-pressed to condemn the entire region when I know there are good and decent people who live and work there. And that was the only point I was trying to convey since this post first started.

I know it must have really killed you to admit in your previous post that there are "Good honest Virgin Islanders who live there." I guess you must be the embodiment of virtue and morality to make such a claim. Well you should also feel pretty good knowing that because of the incoherent rantings of people like you on this thread, I'm sure no one will want to fly for Seaborne Airlines or visit any of the US Virgin Islands.

You could not match wits with me even if you tried so keep your superiority complex and holier-than-thou attitude in check.:ugh:You've got an opinion...good...so do I!

B Sousa
12th Feb 2009, 13:04
Wondered how long it would take for you to fluff your feathers.

National Guard job In the Islands?? It is not the Qualifications that will get you there, its a matter of the Good Old Boy Syndrome.. I am sure your a competent Pilot.

You've got an opinion...good...so do I!

The message got through after all............
Anyway, Im not anonymous, so we will probably meet sometime on the ramp.........
Have some suggestions for your night life in the islands, but I dont think you wil go there, its a survival issue....

incoherent rantings Spoken like a true Democrat.....

You could not match wits with me even if you tried
Well I can only assume your not with the Mensa Society..... You must calm yourself a bit, Its a discussion forum. Point out my mistakes and I will counter.........Other than that it begins to sound like a rooster in the yard making dust..........

A little Cruzan and Coke and all will be well....

Anyway I dont think Seaborne was disrepected in any form and it meets the needs of Twin Turbine Drivers on floats, so dont jump on my stuff for that one.. Im just voicing my opinion for those who dare bring a family to that place.

If you have so much contempt for the local population (not "natives")

Your right, not natives, but tell them that. "Our Islands, Our Home" give me a break. What an bunch of Attitudes.........

TowerDog
12th Feb 2009, 19:41
Well, well hello there...

Since we are posting resumes, here is mine: Worked in St. Thomas and St. Croix back in the 80s for Sea-Jet, Virgin Air, Aero Virgin Island, Eastern Metro and a few others. Also been back there as a tourist and on airline lay-overs many times, including 2 days ago.

Having seen my share of crime, lazy losers, idiots and all of the above descriptions of life, people and natives in the US Virgin Islands, I agree with those who think the place is seriously fukked up.
That being said, the weather is top notch, so is sailing, diving and the local rum.

Flying is good as far as building twin/turbo time, but the islands are fairly expensive and the wages low so it is a break-even situation.

All of that being said, I am thinking about buying a condo in STX for renting out and for my retirement.
I am also painfully aware of not bringing anything of value to the islands as the natives very much would like to steal it, and the only way to keep stuff is to bolt it down.
Any other attitude is wreckless and will cost you.

Save the racist comment, I have flown relief supplies into Africa many times and have spent 30+ years traveling the world seeing realities, as well as results of incompetence and idiocy, the Virgin Islands blends right in with any other place that has a black majority and lousy leadership..Just the way it is, and if it is up to the locals, nothing will change.:sad:

As for Seabourne: Seems like a nice, clean place to work.
That kind of flying is not boring as somebody suggested: I enjoyed doing the same for Sea-jet back in -84: Twin Otter on floats, St. Croix to St. Thomas 8 times per day, 16 legs. 2 days on, 2 days off..96 hours per month. Back then it was fun going to work: All VFR/day..No jet-lag, no sweat...Would like to be young again and having just moved from Alaska one could appreciate the weather..:ok:

The honeymoon was soon over when when we got robbed once. Then a year later the boat we lived on was broken into. Then a friend's wife was raped. A few months later a friend and neigbor was killed while walking the dog on the beach: Some rasta chopped her up with a machete.

Could tell stories all day about violent crime on the islands and it is not the tourist doing the crime...:=

The good news is that they have built more jails on the islands and have started putting people away. Hopefully that will make a dent.:sad:

B Sousa
12th Feb 2009, 21:22
TowerDog
You were'nt living up in Shibui were you?? But again, on a boat maybe Red Hook.

See you worked for Virgin Air...Paul finally had enough with the FAA or vice versa and pulled the pin a couples years ago. He is set anyway.

Everything else is right on the money.........Over to the Beachcomber after shift for a G/T or twelve while the sun sets....then on to Tickles.
There are many good times for sure, but one must always look over your shoulder and carry a big stick.

The good news is that they have built more jails on the islands and have started putting people away

I think you will find thats still the fox guarding the henhouse. FBI on the island? you bet. What are they doing most of the time? Governmental Corruption at every level. ( bridge to nowhere?? remember that, still there and no road) The difference between the islands and D.C. a few thousand miles.

Beautiful beaches , Smith Bay? , Coki Point? Sand stinks of urine from the ....... wait thats racist, dont go there.

Whole point is that one can have good times here, but be prepared for some serious bad times. Even the Health care is why they have the motto. "When in Pain, get a Plane" and get to the mainland.

Best of the three is St John, only because most everyone in the world cannot afford it..

If your thinking of a condo there, make sure you go down again soon. Some serious good deals, just watch out for the HOA's or Associations, some are terribly in debt. I would have bought in Mahogany Run, but deep financial problems there. If it has to be St Croix, look at Carambola.

TowerDog
13th Feb 2009, 00:10
TowerDog
You were'nt living up in Shibui were you?? But again, on a boat maybe Red Hook.

Aye, lived on the boat from the beginning: On the hook in French Town, Lindbergh Bay and at the dock in the Lagoon for 6 months.

Also on the boat in St. Croix in various free lagoons, including Gallows Bay, but the Eastern Metro Express days with a steady pay check, at a dock in Salt River.

Enjoyed the islands and the lifestyle for sure. If a company went south, we'd just pull the anchor and sail to the next island and take a new job.
Wife was also a pilot from Alaska.

Yes, worked for Paul and Margareth @ Virgin Air..
Got the job real easy as he had 5 airplanes: Aztec, Apache, C-402, B-18 and DC-3..I had time on all 5 planes so he hired me on the spot.:cool:

Over to the Beachcomber after shift for a G/T or twelve while the sun sets....then on to Tickles.
There are many good times for sure, but one must always look over your shoulder and carry a big stick.

Yeah ,that pretty much sums it up..Good times, but get ready to defend yerself, some of the natives are restless..

Beautiful beaches , Smith Bay? , Coki Point? Sand stinks of urine from the

Yeah perhaps but I am looking at STX right now: Choiy Beach, Chenai, etc., still good, no urine or dog-sh!t.
STT was always a tourist machine with too many people and too much "action", althought I enjoyed my time there flying for Paul and Cleo Hodge and Joe Cranston/Jim Masters and them guys.

If your thinking of a condo there, make sure you go down again soon.

Was in STT last week and just returned from STX this week. Kind of fact finding mission..Nature and weather was as always beatiful..Slow times in STX, but they are still asking high prices...Based on what I saw, prices should come down soon..:ugh:

SherpaDriver
13th Feb 2009, 06:06
To Towerdog;
Yeah ,that pretty much sums it up..Good times, but get ready to defend yerself, some of the natives are restless..

If I were a betting man, I'd venture to say you haven't called one of the residents of the USVI a "native" to their face in a while (if ever). Be careful, your white sheets might start showing! But I guess that's the beauty of anonymous postings...its easy to antagonize when you know there are no repercussions...

To B. Sousa;
Anyway, Im not anonymous, so we will probably meet sometime on the ramp.........
Have some suggestions for your night life in the islands, but I dont think you wil go there, its a survival issue....

Can't be any worse than downtown Baghdad near the Green Zone...been there, done that. Needless to say there aren't too many places I'd be scared to visit in either STX or STT. But tell you what, if our paths cross on the ramp the first round will be on me. I'll pick up a bottle from the rum distillary off Queen Mary Highway near Fredericksted...

I just got word of a Colgan Air Q400 that just crashed in my native New York about 3 hours ago...no survivors. It sort of puts our aviation pursuits, careers (and disagreements) in perspective. Anyway, may their souls rest in peace...

TowerDog
13th Feb 2009, 12:00
If I were a betting man, I'd venture to say you haven't called one of the residents of the USVI a "native" to their face in a while (if ever). Be careful, your white sheets might start showing! But I guess that's the beauty of anonymous postings...its easy to antagonize when you know there are no repercussions...

Huh....?

Anything wrong with being a native of STT, or anywhere.? :confused:

White sheets showing?

If ya are trying to say something, then speak up load and clear.

If I was a betting man, I'd say you are full of crap.

beachbumflyer
13th Feb 2009, 17:24
Sherpa, what's wrong with calling one native? English is not my mother
tonge, so I don't know. Besides, you say your native New York.

B Sousa
13th Feb 2009, 18:38
Could be the ones being described as Natives are in fact not "natives" as are about 99.9% of those on the islands.... The attitude seems to show that they think they are natives.

I'd venture to say you haven't called one of the residents of the USVI a "native" to their face in a while (if ever). Be careful, your white sheets might start showing

Now thats a shot across the Bow. Not necessary as we know the inference of the white sheets. I would never have done that not out of fear, but I just dont get down in da gutta like "dem folks do". Thats why bein the honky, white Mutha:mad:, etc. never bothered me. Besides I was usually in the company of the cough drop guys. Mr Smith and Wesson. They could always sort out problems.

So lets get this back on track. Seaborne is a good company, its not for me if I were a fixed winger, just too boring. Those I know were getting good pay so for someone wanting Twotter time on Floats , go for it. You should by now know what your getting into when off duty.......

flyrScott
14th Feb 2009, 06:29
Just let your Cruzan brothers take you to church on saturday night!

And the best quote yet from a Cruzan to me: "if you gonna live here, you gotta leaarn to speak bad spanish and bad english"

All in all, the crime was kinda bad, but there were alot of nice locals too.

SherpaDriver
14th Feb 2009, 09:08
To Beachbumflyer
Sherpa, what's wrong with calling one native?
This is not a stab at trying to make this a "politically correct" forum, but there was a time when the term "native" had a less than flattering connotation. Kind of like using the word "savage" or even the "N-word" when describing people of African or Carib descent. When you say "I'm a native of Ft. Lauderdale" or "I'm a native New Yorker" it takes on entirely different meaning than when you say "Look at those natives in South Africa running up to the airplane" or "I just can't communicate with these natives in St. Croix." Words are powerful and language usage can convey messages which can be interpreted (or mis-interpreted) in the wrong way.

I guess you never thought your original post would have stirred up so much spirited debate...;)

To TowerDog
Anything wrong with being a native of STT, or anywhere? If I was a betting man, I'd say you are full of crap.
I know you probably think you're pretty clever with your play on words but we both know that I never said there was anything wrong being a native of STT. However, that was not the context you used the word "native." But let me guess, when you're visiting in Salt Lake City or Idaho you probably say "The natives here seem to be really friendly" or "these natives are always stealing the wheels off my car." Your feeble attempt to be derogatory and cast the populace of STX and STT in a negative context by calling them natives, while trying to appear objective, shows your true colors. I've met your type before and your defensiveness must mean I've hit a nerve...well I'm calling you out so you can read whatever you want to read in my words. But we were talking about working for Seabourne Airlines...

TowerDog
14th Feb 2009, 11:22
I've met your type before and your defensiveness must mean I've hit a nerve...well I'm calling you out so you can read whatever you want to read in my words.

Huh....?

Defensiveness? Hit a nerve?

I was right, you are full of crap..:sad:

Not sure what planet you are from but it looks like you have your own brand of reality and you seem to have a problem drawing conclusions.

I will pass on the "white sheet" hint, smells too much of KKK.

As for "native" having a negative meaning in your head: Seems like a personal problem and I would seek counseling if I was you.

Good luck and try not to move your lips reading this. :sad:

B Sousa
14th Feb 2009, 16:41
Kind of like using the word "savage" or even the "N-word" when describing people of African or Carib descent.

Now its gotten so touchy one does not even use the "N-Word". Thing is a "N-word's" are not Carib. Few of the authentic ones left. They ARE indeed native to the area and thus Natives.
Your comments only confirm that when words are used to describe folks only Blacks are offended, the rest of us either laugh it off or consider the source.

Fortunately I dont have to go into a litany of descriptive adjectives to describe that I am American. What funny is so many NEED to say they are African first, American second. When its usually pretty obvious......

Wish I had my Multi Engine Sea, now maybe I would try out a season there, hauling all the natives and wannabes.....

beachbumflyer
15th Feb 2009, 02:24
Sherpa:
You're right, I never thought this thread would be that controversial.
But now I know, after reading some comments here, that I would not
go to live in STX nor in STT. I guess some other people would think
the same, sorry.

SherpaDriver
16th Feb 2009, 05:45
As for "native" having a negative meaning in your head: Seems like a personal problem and I would seek counseling if I was you.

To Towerdog
I'll let you have the last word since you don't seem particularly bright and insults seem to be the only way to get your message across. What I've said is not a view shared by me alone so excuse me if I decline your suggestion at this time to seek couseling. It's obvious the point I made about using the word "native" went completely over your head and your natural inclination is to attack me as a person rather than the facts. Ok, you win...feel better?:D

To B. Sousa
The "N-word" I was referring to was not the word "native." It's not a word I use in my vocabulary and it's not one that belongs on a forum but I suspect you know what word I'm alluding to. It will take time for race relations to heal years after years of marginalization, distrust and bitter feelings from both sides. I'm not really sure why I'm defending the USVI so passionately since I don't even live there...but readers of this forum and this thread will come to their own conclusions in the end. I'm no bleeding heart liberal but someone who studies people and has come to learn over the years about cultural sensitivities (even when they don't jive with my own).

You probably figured out I am an American just like you but I don't think I ever identified what my race was..but then why would that even matter? The reason why any of us are on this forum is a common passion for aviation and anything related to aviation matters. I've got little tolerance for ignorance so I do voice my opinion on occassion. But STT and STX still has boatloads and planeloads of people going there on vacation every year and will still thrive in spite of its problems so in the end it doesn't really matter what you, me or anyone else on this forum thinks. Hopefully Seabourne will be around in the years to come...they are a much-needed transportation lifeline in that community and I've shared many a drink with their pilots while playing the tables at Divi Carina.:cool:

TowerDog
16th Feb 2009, 21:43
It's obvious the point I made about using the word "native" went completely over your head and your natural inclination is to attack me as a person rather than the facts. Ok, you win...feel better?

Hmm, I think you are the one who started the personal attacks.:rolleyes:

I'll let you have the last word since you don't seem particularly bright and insults seem to be the only way to get your message across.

Looks like you are the one dishing out the insults as well. :sad:

Check 6
17th Feb 2009, 03:00
Tower Dog, as my very old friend B Sousa knows, I flew out of STT from 1993-1994 and we lived at Mahogany Run. Good memories of Tickles and The Mill and French Town. I knew Paul and Cleo. IIRC, Paul's DC-3 was destroyed by Hugo?

I don't recall the term "native" being derogatory.

TowerDog
17th Feb 2009, 03:33
I don't recall the term "native" being derogatory.

Yeah Mr. Check 6, it never was except in somebody's head:

I am a native of Norway, born and raised there and not ashamed of being a native.

In the US of A I am not a "Native", but rather a very small minority: "Norwegian-American", but not looking for hand-outs or benefits.:sad:

In the USVI, the natives, or locals or whatever the PC term is, are a majority and as such they should take care of us poor hapless minorities that have not figured out how to feed ourselfs or how to use a condom.:sad:

Keep sending the check, PM me for the address.:cool:

Check 6
17th Feb 2009, 12:50
Tower Dog, I have flown around Norway a few times - to Stavanger mostly, but also Oslo and Andoya Island. :ok:

TowerDog
18th Feb 2009, 03:31
Tower Dog, I have flown around Norway a few times - to Stavanger mostly, but also Oslo and Andoya Island

Brr..Hopefully ya did not fly there in the winter? :sad:

In my youth I flew skydivers in C-206s in Norway..In the winter, without a door..Temps on the ground -20 C, at 10,000 feet a lot colder and blowing gale-force winds in the cabin as the double door was removed...Windchill factors was minus a million but being in the business of building flight time I did all that and more..:ugh:

Then I screwed up and emigrated to Alaska..More cold and more icy flying.

No wonder I want to buy a condo in the US Virgin Islands. Balmy weather, beatiful diving and world class sailing.

Just have to put up with some of the natives, a few of them would like to rob and kill you.
Being big and ugly and somewhat street-smart I will probably survive, but the pudgy pale tourist with his Rolex and his gold chains better not be wandering too far of the beaten path in the dark.
Or his ass be grass.:sad:

(Not saying this lightly guys, I have seen friends and neighbors robbed, raped and killed in the islands: It is not Disney-Land regardless what SD says:=)

B Sousa
20th Feb 2009, 00:25
my very old friend

Thanks a lot Stu........Your not that far behind.

I am a native of Norway

Ha, now thats why Tower Dog and I agree. Grandpa from Trondheim and Grandma from Tonsberg..... "Hering Chokers"

Check 6
20th Feb 2009, 00:44
"Old friend" means a friend of many years, not a friend with many years. :E

TowerDog
20th Feb 2009, 09:09
Grandpa from Trondheim

Aye Trondheim, my hometown.
Nice there in the summer, and a good place to be a teenager: Girls, motorcycles and beer..How do I get all that back? :sad:

malc4d
20th Nov 2009, 15:16
Deleted other thread.

O.M.G. reading between the usual PPRUNE in-fights......:ugh:
Anyone living, working down there now ?

D25guy
22nd Nov 2009, 03:25
Sherpadriver: I cannot stand people like you. Having spent time with the "natives" of St. Croix myself, I know the place is a crime ridden hole. I do not go to KKK conventions and I do not let my "white" sheets shine through or whatever the hell you said. It is the truth. St. Croix blows! All of your military service is great. I have a lot of respect for folks in the military. But, for a guy that has views like yourself, I wonder how much good you are really doing for our country. It seems like the only "racial" comments have been written in your posts. Everybody else was trying to be civil and talk about an aviation company not a race issue. People cannot even say what they want to say nowadays without getting jumped on.

Anyways, trying to get back on subject, St. Thomas and St. John in my opinion are much better islands. St. Thomas has its share of crime as well. As someone else said, St. John is too high priced for nonsense. Flew on Seaborne a few times. Cool operation. Flew with a guy for a very short period of time that had worked for them. Long hours and bad pay. This was three years ago. Things could have very well changed by now. By the way SD, the Shorts is a baaadd airplane. Lots of fun.

malc4d
28th Nov 2009, 19:08
Anyone working for Seaborne at all ????

crew101
17th Dec 2009, 20:24
P.C Political Correctness is the enemy here,If you do not face it than you can not move on!As a american of african roots I can tell you first hand.Face it and than you can fix it.If you keep talking around the issue in this case the crime ect,ect...it will not get fixed,:ugh:over and over...

malc4d
31st Dec 2009, 20:17
come on guys...anyone flying in the Virgin islands...........

malc4d
16th Feb 2010, 02:16
Do they still fly the Twotter on floats or are they all on wheels now ?

oyibo900
19th Feb 2010, 22:24
this thread is way off track guys... if there is anybody out there currently flying for Seaborne can you please post? all the normal stuff (pay, QOL, sked, rent prices) would be great.

shittykitty
23rd Feb 2010, 23:34
i got buddies flying ther i flew ther 12 years ago and was around them in 05. guess all the pilots are diving or tanning or drinkin at the domino club and sunset grill to check in on this forum.

B Sousa
24th Feb 2010, 15:33
Get on FACEBOOK, search for Seaborne, a couple guys who fly there will pop up. Not going to mention names here, but they can answer any of your questions.

multycpl
25th Apr 2015, 10:16
Anything new to add ??