PDA

View Full Version : That old FAA to JAA question again..

generalspecific
25th Jul 2008, 17:27
.. don't flame me.. I have done the search of posts and am still coming up confused..

In a nutshell.. I have an FAA CPL (H) and a Canadian PPL (A).

I have started flying for fun in the UK more often and want to convert my licences so I can self fly hire in the UK and travel to Europe.

I am getting may mixed messages about what I need to do. I have well north of 100 hours on both fixed and twirly wing and been told "just a skills test and UK medical" by the local flying school. Yet other forums I have searched on PPrune suggest the requirement to take some of the writtens.

I appreciate that a CPL conversion of the FAA licence would require some writtens but as I don't intend to fly for hire or reward in the UK, a JAA PPL for both heli and fixed wing would be fine..

Final question is that if I want to fly at night can I just add a night rating (suitably earned in the UK) to my newly minted JAA PPL (the US one comes budled and I dont hold a Canadian one).

Help please from the many who must have gone before me...

BHenderson
26th Jul 2008, 09:47
You don't need to convert in order to self fly hire in the UK. (This doesn't apply if you then go abroad.) In fact it would be more of a pain to convert. The licence is automatically valid - no paperwork. Make sure you have your radio licences for your FAA/TC licences though.

(4) For the purposes of this Part of this Order:
(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), a licence granted either under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a JAA licence or a licence granted under the law of a relevant overseas territory, purporting in either case to authorise the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft, not being a licence purporting to authorise him to act as a student pilot only, shall, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, be deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order but does not entitle the holder:
(i) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or
(ii) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in
controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the
Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying;

Ref: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF (Page 53)
Bobby

Duchess_Driver
26th Jul 2008, 13:31
...to answer the original question.....

If you do want to convert, wtih north of 100 hours you'd need a skills test, UK Medical and I believe UK Air Law and UK RT exams. Just tried licence application without the RT for a PPL and although the licence has been issued, there was a nice little (pre-printed) card in it saying you have to do the RT exams for the issue of an RT licence.

LASORS Section C for PPL conversion facts and figures.

generalspecific
28th Jul 2008, 18:04
been away flying so late response.. thanks all pprune has the answers again!