PDA

View Full Version : VULCAN today, Fri 25 Jul 08

FJJP
25th Jul 2008, 14:54
Dave, saw you flyby at Wyton for their families day.

Wonderful to see the old lady actually airborne. Well done to you and your crew for giving up so much of your time to make this happen. After taxying the old girl with you, I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time in helping out. Special regards to You and Barry.

JR

Toddington Ted
25th Jul 2008, 15:41
:ok: Vulcan just overflown us here at Cranwell (1635 local) and panicked all the pigeons! Lovely stuff, many thanks guys!

Phoney Tony
25th Jul 2008, 21:46
Vulcan flew over my house today.

Fantastic!!!

Just fantastic!

Well done to all who made it possible.

sittingstress
25th Jul 2008, 22:35
Abysmal behaviour,

It flew within sight of Peterborough and I am certain there was someone inside it wearing a uniform. The local yoof here were outraged at such a blatant public display of militaria :)

AHQHI656SQN
26th Jul 2008, 07:16
I was at the Lowestoft air show yesterday (Friday) and saw the Vulcan flying, she was majestic.:ok: I grew up near Finningley and saw the Vulcans on a regular basis through my yoof.:) One thing I noticed though, she wasn't as noisey as I was expecting, is there a power limit or throttle limit with her flying release?

green granite
26th Jul 2008, 07:34
I too saw it at Wyton a truly wonderful sight. :ok:

Valiantone
26th Jul 2008, 09:58
I saw the dispaly at Waddington afterwards, Brilliant...:ok:

V1

False Capture
26th Jul 2008, 10:41
AHQHI656SQN,

Maybe watching and listening to Vulcans in your yoof has damaged your hearing.

wg13_dummy
26th Jul 2008, 10:43
One thing I noticed though, she wasn't as noisey as I was expecting, is there a power limit or throttle limit with her flying release?

No, you're just deafer these days.

Saw her at Farnborough last Friday and she was just as noisey as she was 20 years ago (used to live in Waddo village).

Certainly the best thing to be flying these days.

Whirlygig
26th Jul 2008, 10:49
AHQHI656SQN, old age, failing memory and deafness was also troubling me yesterday as well at Lowestoft!! Like summers were always sunnier in our youth, Vulcans were always louder!

She did follow the Typhoon in the display (not known for its whisper-like qualities) so that comparison won't have helped but I'm sure this was the first time I saw a Vulcan before I heard it!!

But still a great sight to see and a great noise (!!) - well done to all those who made it possible!

Cheers

Whirls

stokieboy
26th Jul 2008, 11:51
At the Lowestoft Air Festival both days and she was truly magnificent. Typhoon might have had the noise and the moves but the Vulcan just oozed pure class. Only downside was being in the local rag pointing excitedly at what looks like the Reds. Serving on a secret Wiltshire airbase, I'd like to say this wasn't the case and I was infact pointing excitedly at my gf bearing gifts of fish, chips and mushy peas! So there you go Lye Ops!!

DC

FantomZorbin
26th Jul 2008, 12:45
Son reported traffic hold up on the A14 yesterday ... only to find that the traffic was slowing down to watch the Vulcan!:ok:

acmech1954
26th Jul 2008, 12:46
At the Marham families day on Thursday, I had a chat with one of the guys in the Vulcan tent. The first thing I learnt was that she has shed a whole lot of weight in the last few years,many tonnes of it, so she does not need the power that she used to need to push her around.
When I asked how long we could expect to see her flying, the response was that ,at the moment, they are hoping for 10 years, but it is controlled by the engines. Rolls have allowed them 8 engines that are fit to be used for flying, and the use is now recorded by cycles rather than hours as before. So each time she goes to max chat another cycle is used, so as far as I could make out, the display is performed at a fairly constant throttle setting.
I must admit that during the display at Marham I did not hear the howl or the noise of the old displays:{ but it was still great to see her again. It is a shame that could not have done a Victor, but then ,I am biased !

Shack37
26th Jul 2008, 14:35
Just a tinge of envy here, earliest memories of the Vulcan being as a very drippy nosed B/E at St. Athan 60/61 when they took off after major servicing at the MU. The B/E 2 Wing mess was adjacent to the runway end and the vibration set tables and plates vibrating as power was built up for take-off. The cue for everyone to run out and watch.
Could be why I wear hearing aids today, couldn't have been the Griffons.............could it?

s37

NutLoose
26th Jul 2008, 18:06
I here they are getting sort of the old dosh to support her unless sponsorship is forthcoming......... Superb Aircraft :ok:

wg13_dummy
26th Jul 2008, 23:42
Hopefully her doing the circuit this year will secure some dosh for at least the next few years.

A 50 odd ton tin triangle making a ****e load of noise should hopefully sell itself. (Just so long as it doesn't go the way the Vixen did for a couple of seasons and look like a large tin of Red Bull).

It made the B1B at Farnborough look and sound like a Boring 737 from SleazyJet....

Vulcan 903
27th Jul 2008, 09:16
VOC Engineering Update is in and very interesting ALSO Flight Op's page as well....at last. XH558 has been sponsored to attend Dunfold next month.

Template Sample # 1 (http://www.tvoc.co.uk/news/anmviewer.asp?a=328&z=2)