PDA

View Full Version : Parking a car?

BOAC
25th Jul 2008, 11:17
This poor fellow overshot his target landing field in Sussex recently. A spokesperson for the BGA, 'Keith Auchterlonie', is quoted in my local paper as saying

"It is no different to parking a car"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boacphotos/Carpark.jpg

Well - he could have put in in one of the marked slots......

astir 8
25th Jul 2008, 12:34
Presumably the police are there to give him a ticket for failing to "pay and display!

There used to be a spoof gliding video which ended up with the glider apparently having been landed on the top deck of a multi story car park.

Maybe this bloke thought that it was an instructional video!

Very glad he was personally undamaged but Hey ho, up go the glider insurance premiums (premia??) again.

effortless
25th Jul 2008, 15:59
Heh, where was this? I don't recognise the carpark.

Pilot DAR
26th Jul 2008, 01:37
I think it's in the UK, judging by the appearance of the Police car and the confined area. The glider pilot would probably do great autorotations too!

In Canada, we have the space for lots of runways, so I doubt it's here!

And yes, I've already been told that the humour is different on this side of the Atlantic!

BOAC
26th Jul 2008, 07:45
Wiston Park, between Steyning and Storrington in Sussex, UK.

Strictly permit only parking. Costs are soaring

BRL
26th Jul 2008, 09:50
Costs are soaring

Intended pun? :D

mixture
26th Jul 2008, 18:10
Heh, where was this? I don't recognise the carpark.

effortless ....

I'm a bit worried that you can recognise aerial shots of car parks ? ! ? :ooh:

Blues&twos
26th Jul 2008, 19:33
Weird, the last time I was at Wiston it wasn't on a 45 degree slope.

effortless
1st Aug 2008, 12:18
I'm a bit worried that you can recognise aerial shots of car parks ?

Awe c'mon, don't tell me that you never try to end up as near to your motor as pos'.:}

Sensible
1st Aug 2008, 15:55
Judging by the volume of GA traffic overflying the gliding site that I use, power pilots apparently do not avoid gliding sites or perhaps don't even understand what the areas marked "G" on their sectional chart means!

The glider pilot in question was extremely lucky in this instance. The accident appears to have been due to a set of unfortunate circumstances - wait for the BGA report in due course!

jxk
1st Aug 2008, 18:03
Never mind mode S will sort all this out?

C-dog
1st Aug 2008, 22:14
Love to! However the gliding site I regularly fly over can have aircraft flying anywhere within a 20-mile radius.

Best to give them a shout on the radio to see what's up and sharpen the lookout accordingly.:ok:

fauteuil volant
2nd Aug 2008, 15:25
I bet that the FCO weren't that impressed if he landed out there on a weekday - and if it was on a weekend, I suspect that the wedding party thought that it was for the bride & Groom to fly out in! But on a more serious note, there are acres of flattish parkland on the north side of the house at Wiston Park so goodness knows why the glider ended up in the car park which, unless it has been relocated since my last visit there, is right by the house itself.

IO540
2nd Aug 2008, 15:44
I've already been told that the humour is different on this side of the Atlantic!

Which side ? ;)

ProfChrisReed
2nd Aug 2008, 16:27
There's no need to avoid overflying glider sites as a matter of course.

If it's marked as a winch site, overflying is dangerous if the site is operational unless you leave a confortable margin above the marked max winch height.

If no winch, treat the site like any other unlicensed airfield, which I guess means not blundering through the circuit.

Otherwise, wave as you pass - if I'm flying I'll wave back.

(BTW, gliders launching from Aboyne (near Aberdeen) have flown over pretty much the whole Scottish mainland and much of England too!)

S-Works
2nd Aug 2008, 16:28
Judging by the volume of GA traffic overflying the gliding site that I use, power pilots apparently do not avoid gliding sites or perhaps don't even understand what the areas marked "G" on their sectional chart means!

It's OK, the glider pilots don't avoid the power sites either so I guess it is quits. Or have I missed a new classification of airspace that is glider only?

Sallyann1234
3rd Aug 2008, 11:26
The accident appears to have been due to a set of unfortunate circumstances

Just like most accidents then :E

tuscan
4th Aug 2008, 09:03
Ive never heard of an accident occuring due to a set of fortunate circumstances:p

" the pilot was fortunate to be flying that day due to good weather, he was also fortunate not to hit the bus passing the carpark . It also became apparant after the incident that he was fortunate to have a spare set of skiddies with him"

flora1234
4th Aug 2008, 15:57
having got my ppl before a driving licence, i'd argue that the practical skills for parking are harder than landing anyway. so can't imagine he'd do a good job with a car!