PDA

View Full Version : Justin Mentis Rip My Friend

SIDESTICKDRIVER
23rd Jul 2008, 13:28
Justin Mentis , well known in aviation circles, passed away yesterday at Linksfield Clinic in Johannesburg following a motorbike accident. Your friendship, your character and your humour will be sorely missed. Fly free my friend, till we meet again. Justins funeral will take place at 14H00 on Monday 28 July 2008 at St Margaret's Church, Bedfordview( off Van Buren Road, next to Virgin Active Gym.

Alternate Law
23rd Jul 2008, 14:26
Did a lot of his basic flight training many years ago. Sad to hear - RIP and condolences to all.

Zaherk
23rd Jul 2008, 14:53
Sad news indeed, rest in peace friend, make a few angels hysterical with your humour.

chileno 777
23rd Jul 2008, 15:29
Always is sad to hear when a human being has passed away (specially in a tragic accident) :sad: But what is the point of this thread?
If you are really sorry about the decease, why don’t you send the condolence directly to the family/wife/parents instead of using this aviation forum?

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Jul 2008, 15:54
Because some of us who flew with Justin are not in a position to get this information from normal sources, working as expats in foreign lands, as did Justin.

RIP, boet. Keep them rolling in the aisles.

CJ750
23rd Jul 2008, 17:22
chileno what a :mad: reply:yuk:

Condolensces to all who knew him and his family

Gyro Nut
23rd Jul 2008, 17:45
Chileno, I disagree with you as well.

I happened to know Justin from school days at St. John's College, and would only have got to hear the terrible news at our annual old boys day, where those that have departed this life, have their names read out.

Sincerest condolences. May he rest in peace with our saviour.

kuito16
23rd Jul 2008, 18:05
Had the pleasure of working with Justin a few years back.....
He will be missed...

Chileno....get a grip....

Springbok614
23rd Jul 2008, 18:20
condolences to his friends and family! where did he fly?

Toppled AH
23rd Jul 2008, 20:51
They say aviation is the smallest community filled with the most amount of idiots as everyone tries to out do the next....CHIENO777 can I say that you come in 1st place hands down.....don't be such a pr ick......

I had the chance of spending time with him in Afghanistan and other places, may I say never a dull moment, Justin we will all miss you....

You might not be flying with us down here but your career has just started flying with the angels....RIP bud

Flightsimman
24th Jul 2008, 00:58
Grow up "Chileno"

WTF are you talking about??

This forum is called "African Aviation" reporting events in this region!

Not everyone who reads this forum works in Africa as their jobs may take them to other parts of the world. They may not find out about the tragic death of an old friend if it wasn't for the sharing of this information on this forum.

Why don't you jump back into your 777 and head to Santiago amigo ?

:ugh:

howard meredith
24th Jul 2008, 06:31
Very sad news, Rip Justin.

Cue Ball
24th Jul 2008, 07:38
So sorry to hear of the passing of a fellow aviator and Old Johannian. Last saw him a few years ago in Entebbe flying for the U.N, had us in stiches the whole night. R I P my friend.

Golf_Seirra
24th Jul 2008, 12:35
THE BEER DRINKERS PRAYER

OUR LAGER
WHICH ART IN BARRELS
HALLOWED BE THY DRINK

THY WILL BE DRUNK
I WILL BE DRUNK
AT HOME AS IN THE TAVERN

GIVE US THIS DAY OUR FOAMY HEAD
AND FORGIVE US OUR SPILLAGES
AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO SPILL AGAINST US

AND LEAD US NOT INTO INCAPACITATION
BUT DELIVER US FROM HANGOVERS

FOR THINE IS THE BEER
THE BITTER AND THE LAGER
FOR EVER AND EVER

BARMEN

Cheers Justin, pleasure to have met you and have found someone in avaition who can truely be themselves...

solomonsface
24th Jul 2008, 13:09
A great guy, a true character, and he was never afraid to be himself. Justin you will be very sorely missed.

ALPHA FLOOR
24th Jul 2008, 14:50
Hey Justin,

Cheers Dude. First met you selling chairs for CAOS trying to get your flying financed. What a guy!

Hope you will be at peace.

Respectfully,
Alpha Floor.

verreaux eagle
24th Jul 2008, 15:19
Everyone that knew JUSTIN would agree! He was one of a kind! R.I.P my friend! The world and all of us, will miss you in more than one way! Condolecenses to Family and Friends!:{

tedstriker
24th Jul 2008, 16:06
Justin was the best!! He could make me laugh like no one else! What an excellent guy.

I sat reading messages from him today, and even though the circumstances are so very sad, he still makes me smile.

My sincerest condolences to his family and all his mates.

chileno 777
24th Jul 2008, 16:26
I am not saying that I am not sorry for the decease of the fellow pilot. Just said that do not understand this kind of threads.
Kuito, Toppled, FlightSimman there is no need to insults…Your attacking posts clearly indicates that you are not used to discuss points of view and do not respect others opinions.
SolidRustTwotter and Gyro Nut, thank you for the perfect and reasonable (and polite) explanation. I clearly noticed that you are a gentleman.

By the way flightsimman totally agree with you this Forum is to report aviation events...but I did not know that it was an obituary as well.

DC3Mishkey
24th Jul 2008, 18:05
consider that these postings are a sign of respect. I did not know justin, our paths only crossed a few times and its always sad to hear of the passing of a decent guy. I have lost a friend and mentor to aviation a few years ago and a thread was posted in this very forum as a show of respect that that person deserved. Many people pass in aviation with little or no response here, justin obviously gained the respect of those that knew him. You have had your say, dont defend yourself further here. Be at peace justin you fly with angels now, as you once did with the person i referred to. May you two angels fly again and have fun and behave. Condolences to justins family

Toppled AH
24th Jul 2008, 18:22
Hey Chileno.......you probably been in Luanda to long mate.....get a life.....

DC3Mishkey.....good on you...nice one...

BRosev
25th Jul 2008, 14:03
Great guy to fly with.... Always a good laugh. RIP mate.

sslut
25th Jul 2008, 15:25
Godspeed my friend - you will be remembered!! Those days in Kabul are still in my memory when you made us laugh so much I wet myself.
Will be there in mind at the funeral.

chileno 777
25th Jul 2008, 23:27
You have had your say, dont defend yourself further here

Why do you prohibit somebody to express himself...as far I am concerned everybody has the right to state their opinions? Glad that you are not the moderator of this forum!

ARENDIII
26th Jul 2008, 00:54
Chileno 777-Take a hike and I mean that in the best possible way.
Stop making an a*s*hole of your self.
Justin was one of the finest pilots I have ever known-all those ILS's down to minimums in the UK and Ireland winters were well known and you were the man - a sincere loss to Safair even though they gave you a hard time,:ouch: who could surely do with your services round about now. To all your loved ones-remember the good times-I know I had an unfair share of them. Have a good well earned rest my good friend.
ArendIII.

fourgolds
26th Jul 2008, 02:12
4HP , good moderating,
I feel a thread like this is a wonderfull opportunity for the family to see just how liked an individual was and how his peers regarded him.
This remains a wonderfull media.

To the family my condolences.

rags
26th Jul 2008, 09:48
Condalences to the family

Only knew him a short time. Will remamber it.

NOTOT
26th Jul 2008, 10:41
Cheers my Cuzzin, U are truely flying now, pity it had to happen like this though, you will be missed, condolences to ALL.

rudder hard over
26th Jul 2008, 14:50
Many great times were had in Kabul with Justin and his DC9 crew who were a great bunch of guys and gals. He will be missed by all who knew him. Condolences to his friends and family. Thanks for all the great memories bud.

Beechdrivr
27th Jul 2008, 07:10
My cuzz!!!

It's with great shock and sadness that i read this... still can't believe it! Sadly, those beers we talked about having will have to be put on hold my china. Gonna miss your infectious laugh and that great sense of humour you always had... those were some great times in Kabul!!!

May you rest in peace buddy and may i take this opportunity to pass on my deepest condolences to the Mentis family.:sad::{

Muntu
27th Jul 2008, 10:53
Just cannot believe this tragic news. Justin, you are one in a million and we will all miss that lekker laugh along with a great sense of humour. Will raise a glass for you tommorow.
Sincere condolences to the Mentis family and friends.

cforty7
27th Jul 2008, 13:34
What a loss!!

Thanks for the great laughs and fun in the sky.

You'll be greatly missed.

DC Diesel
27th Jul 2008, 20:21
Justin 'Mental' Mentis, cant believe you clocked out so soon. You were supposed to become a dirty old bugger, wearing neon tights and crashing your teenage Grandkids rave parties..... Thanks buddy for sharing some of your exceptionally funny, sometimes downright screwy views on life and the people in it. When copious amounts of vodka were added to the mix the end result was always a topic of conversation the next day at the Kabul breakfast table. To this day I still use expressions I picked up from you 16 years ago, not quite the kinda things that would be repeatable on this forum, but you know what I mean. Farewell my china, new adventures await you........and stop pulling the piss out of that dude standing by the big gate...

My most sincere condolences to the extended Mentis family

Slave to Love
28th Jul 2008, 12:08
Justin,

May your heart rest in peace my friend. We never did see much of each other the last few years but thanks for helping me out with my 1st job 8 years ago.

You did wonders to my mothers attitude to life at the time. with your crude and funny humour. Dont change for nobody.

RIP :ok:

gerrie123
29th Jul 2008, 15:26
RIP Justin

Flew in the back alot in the DC-9 days in Kabul.

Cheers mate

maxrated
29th Jul 2008, 17:14
Hey Justin, will miss you and your infectious enthusiasm for life, thanx for all the many laughs and good times.

Fly high and Fast !

Max.

dbc.ooper
30th Jul 2008, 18:56
Once met, never forgotten
Parties, conversation and flying will be all be the duller for your passing
Your infectious laugh and wicked humour will never be forgotten my friend
The surly bonds of this earth have truly been broken
Fly high cuz
Condolescences to family and friends

B190
30th Jul 2008, 21:22
Met Justin in Kabul what a hoot
Rest in Peace
Condolences to Family

NISHTA
31st Jul 2008, 10:49
I am happy to have met and worked with you my friend...

In every friend we lose, we lose a part of ourselves, and often, the best part.

'Clear for take off' my dear friend.....

Kiltie
25th Feb 2009, 14:24
I am a distant cousin of Justin's and have only just learned of his passing. I have a thread running in Where Are They Now asking for more info on Justin's life and career path since 1996 when I last saw him. Any PMs would be very welcome.

Thanks

308GT4
25th Feb 2009, 18:14
:p Justin, you will hardly remember me, just a few days contact, but you stood by me in my darkest hour of this beautiful occupation. Because of YOU, I did not stop flying immediately as I started with my first job as a pilot. I ran into the Devil himself: The very person who you hope is to help you and introduce you to aviation- he got to me in remarkably short time. But, you were there! You assured me that 'this thing' is not what aviation is about!
I will ALWAYS remember you so fondly.
Fly now with the free spirits, friend.

HiFli
1st Mar 2009, 17:07
Chileno, PPrune is a professional pilots' news forum. If you took the time to read all the forums on PPrune, you will find RIP messages for aviators who have been called to the big crewroom in the sky. The loss of a fellow aviator is always sad for the fraternity and this forum provides the opportunity to allow the deceased aviator's friends to hear about the sad event. Just look at the tributes on this forum. Don't stir up a hornets nest with your insensitive comments.

Hey bud - that windup was in July last year - take a leaf & stay away from the hornet's nest. And let Justin rest in peace and in his loved one's memories.

chileno 777
4th Mar 2009, 18:15
Chileno, PPRuNe is a professional pilots' news forum. If you took the time to read all the forums on PPRuNe, you will find RIP messages for aviators who have been called to the big crewroom in the sky. The loss of a fellow aviator is always sad for the fraternity and this forum provides the opportunity to allow the deceased aviator's friends to hear about the sad event. Just look at the tributes on this forum. Don't stir up a hornets nest with your insensitive comments.

I totally forgot about this thread.
Have been reading it all over again and HiFli you are totally right.
Never wanted to be insensitive at all. My deeply apologies to the family of the fellow aviator and his friends.

RIP. Justin