PDA

View Full Version : Bond Air Services interest in Bell 429, potential to diversify fleet

chopper2004
23rd Jul 2008, 07:43
Sorry if I am repeating myself but when I was at Farnborough last friday admiring the Bell 429 EMS, and chatting to the Bell reps and casually mentioned my previous life. When said, they casually mentioned that Peter Bond would be visiting their chalet and had taken a slight interest in the 429 with regard to EMS.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/DSC04082.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/DSC04095.jpg
The Bell reps also claimed that in terms of performance at adverse conditions and alittude the 429 would easily beat the EC-135.

Laying that aside, does anyone have any thoughts that BAS could diversify from Eurocopter fleet to potentially buy the 429 in a few years for the UK EMS market.

I know in the past pre 99, with the sell off to CHC, that they had operated Bell 206 Jetranger so it could be possible that BAS may return to a slightly diversified fleet apart from the current EC-135/BO-105 and AS0332L2.

Rotorchic
23rd Jul 2008, 07:58
I thought BAS had been successful in obtaining an MRO license for the EC135 a little while back.

Would seem unusual for them to go for the 429, when they have a large order board with Eurocopter for EC175 and a 135 MRO license.

Bomber ARIS
23rd Jul 2008, 11:03
The Bell reps also claimed that in terms of performance at adverse conditions and alittude the 429 would easily beat the EC-135.

With regard to performance, Bond HEMS machines are fortunate to operate in a very much "not HOT and not HIGH" environment.

The quoted statement above possibly suggests that, in the typically ISA world of Bonds area of operation, there may be no great performance differential.

Personally, I'm not sure why one of Eurocopter's most loyal customers would look to Bell, unless it was on offer they could not refuse as a large and highly visible UK launch customer...

ScotiaQ
23rd Jul 2008, 13:47
I think you'll find that their interest in the 429 is as a result of support from Turbomeca, rather than EC.

PANews
23rd Jul 2008, 15:27
I think you will also find that the airframe on display at Farnborough is painted red for a pretty damning reason.

Peter Bond visited that same red airframe in Prague during the AirMed show in May. Lots of zipped lips by Bell employees - and I doubt that has changed much.

The owner of a fleet with a mainly red corporate scheme was complete with twinkle in eye!

I guess the scenario is that he will take the 10 [or is it 20 as also rumoured?] if the certification to EASA happens to schedule and to spec.

chopper2004
23rd Jul 2008, 15:42
PANews

I thought as much regarding the color scheme after the Bell reps mentioned my old company's previous owner.

Speaking of Prague, Alfa Helicopters are pretty much one the first customers for the 429 EMS and first for Europe sales of the 429.

206 jock
23rd Jul 2008, 16:53
You may find that the interest may be generated from Air Ambulance operations that are seeking alternatives to the EC135, which is an OK all rounder, but not the perfect AA platform. Certainly the MD902 (with better support from the manufacturer) is giving it a run for its money, albeit still not the perfect machine.

So if any of their customers are renewing their contracts in - say - 2010, they might be asking for alternative platforms capable of - say - night operations, for which the 429 may be more suited than the EC135. Maybe.

Bond's customers may be charities, but they ain't run by idiots. They are generally run by people who know what they want. And Bond are being reactive to the market demands.

winchman
23rd Jul 2008, 19:26
So whys it so good? Is a machine with an unguarded tail rotor best suited for air ambulance work???? Looks like a flash jet ranger to me...

BigMike
24th Jul 2008, 02:25
winchman, I think you will find it's a little bit better than a "flash jetranger"

Have a read of the specs. I predict it will have very strong sales in the EMS market.
The only issue I can see is forward vis because of the large panel.
The tail-rotor shouldn't be an problem if hot loading via the side door with the turn table.

Bertie Thruster
24th Jul 2008, 08:08
The tail-rotor shouldn't be an problem if hot loading via the side door with the turn table.

..but a Notar does give an extra degree of EMS flexibility !.............

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/nmhsu/000_0069_0001.jpg

PANews
24th Jul 2008, 11:04
Another vote for Notar.

The man with the cheque book and the considerable commercial risk, who works right next door to the centre of Notar excellence in the UK and who has a large fleet of EC135s just appears to have placed a substantial vote for the Bell 429.

May be a message [or perhaps two] there.

RVDT
24th Jul 2008, 17:54
Why not just replace the TM's with PW's?

Its been done before. SB EC135-71-022.