PDA

View Full Version : Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2008

muffin
22nd Jul 2008, 20:17
Anyone else planning to go?

Pageant of Power - 9th & 10th August 2008 (http://www.pageantofpower.com)

kneedwondean
22nd Jul 2008, 21:38
Yes, we are taking a few helicopters up. Getting the students to fly so I can have a free day out! So far we have an R22, R44 and Jet Ranger planned. I've drawn the short straw though and am having to take a student in the 22 one way, and 44 on the way back.

Gaseous
23rd Jul 2008, 00:22
Might well do. What day are you going Muff?

JTobias
23rd Jul 2008, 04:57
i'm going on the 9th.

joel

206 jock
23rd Jul 2008, 06:15
There both days...camping overnight, there's a scary thought.

muffin
23rd Jul 2008, 07:09
Probably on the Sunday although I may switch it if the weather dictates a change. My other half has actually agreed to go with me for once.

Clitheroe Kid
23rd Jul 2008, 12:14
I'll be flying down from Barton. I believe about 50 heli's are booked in already.

Pandalet
23rd Jul 2008, 16:18
Is there info for pilots buried somewhere on that website, or does one need to phone them for info?

206 jock
23rd Jul 2008, 16:42
I beleive they are waiting for a frequency from the CAA before sending pilot info out. If you haven't booked in, you need to beforehand.

Sounds like it could be a good helo event. Maybe the 'new helidays', which is of course still worth going to (apparently).

kneedwondean
24th Jul 2008, 16:51
The organisers are still waiting for frequencies and pilot briefs, should be sent out in the next week or so. I heard it was very nearly fully booked last week

206 jock
3rd Aug 2008, 19:44
Some info sent out today, confirming around 50 machines booked in. If anybody wahts to say hello (or should that be helo?), I'll be in a white JetRanger N8040T.

EESDL
4th Aug 2008, 10:15
50 helis already booked in...........now there's a good reason to stay away!!
Hope all goes well John....shame we can't bring Chopper over (LNT away) and show off it's resplendant copter cover

Draco
4th Aug 2008, 21:26
I'll be there, but no helicopter. :{

I'm taking our 1946 mahogany Chriscraft, Michigan Minx, and camping onsite with the family next to the lake.

Be great to see 50 helicopters there. Looks fun.

Overdrive
9th Aug 2008, 16:43
How has this gone so far, anyone?

I may mince down for an hour or two tomorrow, if time and weather are favourable.

muffin
9th Aug 2008, 19:35
I would imagine that today has been a washout, but I am intending to go tomorrow if the wx looks better. I had a receiver running at home on their frequency most of the day and never heard anybody although I am only about 30 miles away.

kneedwondean
9th Aug 2008, 21:31
We cancelled our trip, 3 helicopters from our school planned on going but weather was rubbush. Great British summer strikes again....

Clitheroe Kid
10th Aug 2008, 10:45
A group of us flew down from Barton yesterday in an Enstrom 480 and a B206. Low cloud and showers on the way down, which cleared for the return trip. Only five heli's there including ours.

muffin
10th Aug 2008, 18:00
East Mids was giving 22 kts gusting 32 when I was about to leave so I decided it was too much for an R22 with my wife as passenger. The last thing I wanted was to put her off future trips after persuading her to go on this one.

Hope it was a good do though.

206 jock
10th Aug 2008, 21:19
I made it up from Hertfordshire yesterday (Sat) and was the only helo there overnight. About 6 helos made it: it was 'testing' but flyable, certainly early on before the weather closed in. Met a few of the Northern contingent.

Today was better: there was probably 25 helos there at one point. The pleasure flight looked to be making some good cash today!

All in all, a first class event. A good contrast to something like Goodwood, where you get treated like a cash cow just because you own a helicopter: free landing, 'entrant' badge, food all weekend. It gets my support:ok:

A few pics

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/flyingsniffer/huey.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/flyingsniffer/turbines.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/flyingsniffer/pistons.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/flyingsniffer/metal.jpg

Dr Mark Cowley
11th Aug 2008, 13:05
Made the trip yesterday (Sunday), an excellent day out for petrol heads and heli enthusiasts. The hospitality was spot on and many thanks to those who organised it. The odd detour required for heavy rain storms on the way back, noteable lack of R22s, perhaps a sign of the times not just the weather. I am looking forward to next year

H1HU
12th Aug 2008, 21:23
As you might have gathered we were there for the two days with 509. Flew the displays both days with the tennis ball drops good fun. Great flight out Sunday morning to refuel and to get some aerial footage for the Motors TV lot.

Weather was disppointing on the Saturday but Sunday made up for it. All in all we enjoyed ourselves and hopefully back next year. From what I gather from the organisers they are in it for at least three years. If it doesn't make money on the third attempt they pull the plug. If it does they have an option for a further seven so who knows how it might grow.

H1HU

blue monday
13th Aug 2008, 09:13
It should grow, a northwest goodwood hoipefully. I never managed to get there in the end, but some mates from a car entusiast club went and spoke very highly of if, lots too see, too much to see in just one day they said.

Overdrive
13th Aug 2008, 18:34
It should grow, a northwest goodwood hoipefully.

That would be nice for us North-Westers and the top end, Wales, Scotland etc. I've been to Goodwood three times, but it's getting a little rammed lately. Does it have the potential; size available, facilities and so on? I know the place, and roads approach and access would buckle under the strain quite easily I think. How is the track?