PDA

View Full Version : Best books, Jeppesen or Oxford

NineInchSnail
22nd Jul 2008, 02:15
Hi Folks,

I'm ready to self study for the ATPL exams (I don't need to go through an approved FTO). I need an advice on what books should I go with: Jeppesen or Oxford.

Thanks

Ayla
22nd Jul 2008, 02:37
I have worked with both, actually think Bristol are the best i've seen in terms of illustrations and concise content, P.S I don't work for Bristol!

bad_attitude
22nd Jul 2008, 04:16
i would go for jeppesen any day. helped me a lot with my Commercial/Multi stuff.

Airline Pirate
22nd Jul 2008, 04:50
I have Oxford and my brother has Bristol...

really a toss up.

Oxford has great colour illustrations, Bristol comes up with some great rules of thumb and lays things out in a simple easy to understand fashion before building up to more complex relationships [eg electricity flow and rectifiers.]

Both are excellent sets.

lilpilot
22nd Jul 2008, 06:58
Oxford books are 1 m high from the ground stacked up. You need a crane to move them around. :rolleyes: Unless you get it used half price, don't bother.

Jeppesen or Nordian or Bristol are better suited for self study.

You'll need the Jeppesen Supplement with the charts too, that's included if you opt for the jepp package.

Also www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs) online question bank is must either way.

billa
22nd Jul 2008, 13:12
Always Bristol...:ok:

They tell you only what you need to know to get thru exams...because once you are studying 14 subjects....you dont want to know or waste your time/energy with extra bits....and whatever you read, you are going to forget it anyway in the end after the exams....:D

Another TD
22nd Jul 2008, 20:42
Having studied with both Oxford (JAA ATPL) and previously BGS (BCPL) I would go for BGS if you want quick and easy or go for Oxford if you want comprehensive and indepth books that look impressive on the shelf. Either way you must use the BGS online question bank.... everybody does including integrated students.

Captain_djaffar
23rd Jul 2008, 15:56
oxford is ok for me.
i like the way it gets in depth with the subjects...koz i got full time for my atpl :p:p:p

very illustrative,concise, but sometimes a bit grammatically shakespeared.

anyway...it is going well for me.

redout
23rd Jul 2008, 17:56
If you are doing distance learning then take the Bristol notes. If you take the Oxford ones then you are not going to know what parts are irrelevant as regards the exams and are just giving yourself more work to do. I have used both and remember the Oxford instructors constantly telling us that this and that are irrelevant. Bristol are spot on, clear and concise.