PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Down, Delph??

Gaseous
21st Jul 2008, 14:25
Just heard a radio report of a helicopter down at Delph near Oldham. 1 injury.
No other details.

paulgerrard2k
21st Jul 2008, 14:28
BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Man injured in helicopter crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7517664.stm)

JimL
21st Jul 2008, 14:36
A HELICOPTER has crashed-landed at Saddleworth.

The aircraft came down at Larkhill Lane, Delph, near Pack Horse Farm, shortly after 2pm today.

The pilot is understood to have been alone in the helicopter at the time of the crash.

Fire service personnel say the man is 'conscious and breathing' and ambulance crews who are tending to his injuries have ordered an air ambulance.

Stunned staff and guests at the nearby Saddleworth Hotel saw the man struggling to land the helicopter, which came to rest on its side.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “Shortly before 1.40pm police were called to an area off Huddersfield Road, Delph, following reports a helicopter had crashed.

“Officers attended and discovered a helicopter had crashed.

“It is believed one person was on board the aircraft and suffered non life threatening injuries.

“Inquiries are continuing.”

Chopper Doc Junior
21st Jul 2008, 15:47
From the latest photographs it appears to be a red and white R44. No Reg as the tail boom appears to have detached from the cab.

Pilot 'conscious' after copter crash - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1059088_pilot_conscious_after_copter_crash?rss=yes)

SEL
21st Jul 2008, 17:55
Love the comment from the witness about the "black box", thats National Geographic for ya!

All the best to the pilot

Gaseous
21st Jul 2008, 17:56
I feared it was David when first reported. He's a PPRuner and an experienced pilot. Get well soon David. Where's yer Enstrom? Two blades is not enough.
Phil

darrenphughes
21st Jul 2008, 19:55
I wonder what it was they thought was the black box? The little tail rotor gearbox, or maybe part of the instrument panel was lying outside perhaps.

cockney steve
21st Jul 2008, 20:50
D.C. (aka "Compo" is also a highly skilled yachtsman. He won his class at Cowes week,one year and is reputed to have flogged the boat in the bar afterwards!
must have flogged the Enstrom, often see him buzzing about.

Also in the area is Chris Ruddy, (jet-ranger)Pennine Helicopters. AFAIK he's only about a mile from Cummaford's.
Knowing David, he'll just go right out and replace the heli!

Gbarral
22nd Jul 2008, 21:49
I am glad the pilot is not seriously hurt. But I'm bit sick that GYIIK has been destroyed - I only sold her a month or so ago and she was a great ship.

rotorboater
24th Jul 2008, 13:41
thanks for best wishes, just added a wheelchair to my licence but limited to 5 weeks hopefully!

helimutt
24th Jul 2008, 13:48
rotorboater, glad to hear you're ok.:ok: But come on, can't you tell us more???
a.You're tail fell off right?
b.Did you run out of fuel.?
c.Narrowly avert disaster by avoiding the nearby school.?;)
d.fly the stricken a/c all the way to 6'agl then let the insurance co. take care of the landing?
e.none of the above

:E
Questions questions!

cockney steve
24th Jul 2008, 20:45
you forgot the "black box" which was spotted by eye witnesses!

Also the "narrowly missed " nearby country hotel which "could have been packed with wedding guests"

Sheesh, tabloid journalism aint what it used to be.

David, glad to hear you're doing OK. Deb. will just have to chauffeur you around,now.

does this mean the boat gets a more favourable Handicap? :D

Dantruck
24th Jul 2008, 22:05
Hey David
Glad to hear the Rotorboater is in one piece.
Come to Spain when you've recuperated and we'll get yer back in the R44 saddle..., but with more sunshine.
All the best
Dan

Jackboot
25th Jul 2008, 09:58
A tongue in cheek request from the curious of course.

So, ask yourself the same question - AAIB want a report from you, insurance claim form sitting on your desk - would you post here?

Nah. Of course you wouldn't.

All our best wishes.

JB

( So, what did happen...?)

Robbo Jock
25th Jul 2008, 12:09
"We saw the helicopter in the distance, it was spinning around like it was coming in to land."

Maybe he crashed because he didn't stop his landing spin in time? Personally, when I'm landing, I start my spinning at around 300 feet and aim to have it stopped by about 25 feet, maybe 50 in gusty conditions. One day I hope to be able to continue the spin into the hover. Maybe even continue it to my parking spot, though that may be too much to hope for.

Bladecrack
25th Jul 2008, 15:40
Maybe he crashed because he didn't stop his landing spin in time? Personally, when I'm landing, I start my spinning at around 300 feet and aim to have it stopped by about 25 feet, maybe 50 in gusty conditions. One day I hope to be able to continue the spin into the hover. Maybe even continue it to my parking spot, though that may be too much to hope for

I like your optimisim and determination Robbo Jock, Keep working on the landing spins and one day it will all rotate into place... :E

Daleaholic
13th Aug 2008, 22:27
Was on my way back from a bit of spotting at MAN when I heard about this on the radio. They were getting tractors and diggers into the field as I got there. Managed to snap a few pics before it was moved...

Reg: G-YIIK

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-YIIK (CN: 0640) South West Air Charter Robinson R44 Astro by Paul Smith-Markl (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6305864&nseq=1)