PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus and Phone "Flight Mode"

Noxegon
20th Jul 2008, 22:34
I've noticed over the last few flights that Aer Lingus is now stating that mobile phones must be turned off regardless of mode. I asked a cabin crew member this evening, and she confirmed that company policy is to disallow the use of any transmitting devices. Flight mode apparently is insufficient for Aer Lingus.

As someone who has disposed of my iPod in favour of an iPhone I'm not terribly happy about this one... thank god for other airlines.

Silver Tongued Cavalier
21st Jul 2008, 12:58
Maybe too many problems with "crack"berrys etc.

People tapping away texting/emailing on various silented 3G devices is a big distraction to safety demos etc. All at phases of flight when the pax should be alert and aware.

EI are now down to minimum crew on all the flight, 4 cabin crew for 174 pax on a A320, so I guess they are too busy to be policing peoples flight modes!!

Just a spotter
21st Jul 2008, 14:53
Aer Lingus has always been one of the most conservative/err on the side of caution/strict airlines when it comes to electronic devices on board.

The position has historically been, if there is any chance/suspicion that a device might interfere with flight deck systems or "we haven't a clue what this item might do", then it's not allowed.

Strikes me as a perfectly reasonable position to take if you're going to be strapped into a metal sausage, six miles up moving at in excess of three quarters the speed of sound. Why risk it?

JAS

aviatordom
21st Jul 2008, 16:57
I'm pretty sure that EZY have the same policy, but i'm not certain.....

You can't really tell though if a pax has flight mode enabled or not!

marlowe
21st Jul 2008, 20:20
i always laugh inwardly as i watch the crackberry controlled pax loading themselves!!!! Do companies that employ these people have a department that sends out instructions all day? "your in seat 12 B keep going your there!!!!!!" I sometimes wonder if i gave them the choice of either turning off the crackberry or holding their breath for the duration of the flight they would seriously consider the latter !!!

west lakes
21st Jul 2008, 20:56
By purchasing the ticket you agreed to the conditions of carriage & in effect entered a contract.
You expect the airline to uphold their side of it - so why try and get out of upholding your side of it?

From Aer Lingus Website - Conditions of Carriage

11.3 ELECTRONIC DEVICES

For safety reasons, we may forbid or limit operation aboard the aircraft of electronic equipment, including, but not limited to:

cellular telephones;
laptop computers;
portable recorders;
portable radios;
CD players;
electronic games or transmitting devices, including radio controlled toys and walkie-talkies. Operation of hearing aids and heart pacemakers is permitted.

Weather they do affect safety has often been discussed - but until it is proven safe the above applies