PDA

View Full Version : Prime Ministerial and VIP traffic

luoto
20th Jul 2008, 15:50
I see that Prime Minister Brown made a "sudden" visit to the British Military overseas in recent days.

Now, without breaching any operational security or making political capital, I am just interested in whether such trips are arranged exclusively for the VIP in question or does the VIP "piggy back" onto an existing transport?

If the former, does the cost come from the military budget or does the sponsoring government department pick up the bill? How much might such a flight cost? No, I am not a journalist either, just an intrigued person on the sidelines as it seems a little wrong when defence budgets are very tight and from what one reads elsewhere that air transport resources are stretched, that dedicated resources are tied up. I also read that mostly the average troop on the ground is not so impressed by the VIP visits /(unless Royalty) and would perhaps have preferred extra supplies, etc.

Anyone in a position to fill in some blanks ?

Pontius Navigator
20th Jul 2008, 16:59
luoto, if you frame your question, with your postal address, and file the question at MOD, Whitehall, London, I am sure they will give you all the information you want within 20 working days.

You might also like to ask what inflight food was served and whether he had sherbet or something stronger for lunch.

luoto
20th Jul 2008, 17:34
I suspect the MoD will only prevaricate or claim the information is not recorded/security sensitive or claim my location puts me outwith of the FoI scheme anyway.

But I would rather that a big transport aircraft would carry important supplies (or if the cupboard is bare, as reports often indicate they are, then they can carry extra comfort supplies and mails for the troops in theatre) rather than a politician who is looking for good PR. Wouldn't you?

What is so wrong with the question. I have not asked for security information but it does not break security to say he and his 20 plus advisers flew IN PLACE of a regular trooping flight/ on a dedicated flight that would cost typically #10,000 / flight hour (x hours total block time) normally paid for out of the No. 10 budget rather than (made up figure) 1,000,000 pnds coming from the defence budget for a photo op when 1,000,000 pnds might provide a bit more body armour, an extra armoured level of supply of a vehicle or similar.

minigundiplomat
20th Jul 2008, 17:45
luoto-

God knows. I just wish the flight had been configured for air despatch.

'Gordo, you have been evicted. Please leave the C17!'

nigegilb
20th Jul 2008, 18:01
I read today that Zanu Bob took a painful blow to the head as he exited the aircraft. Anyone confirm if his head hit the doorway or was it the GE's doing?

Either way, good drills.

"Unfortunately, the Prime Minister’s attempt to boost his image by posing as an action man with the troops didn’t quite go to plan.

It went wrong shortly after he arrived at Baghdad Airport, when he banged his head painfully as he left the RAF Hercules transport plane which had flown him in.

Then it got even worse when he switched to an RAF Puma helicopter to take him into the ‘Green Zone’ in the city centre.

After strapping himself in and donning an uncomfortable-looking flak jacket – something image obsessed Tony Blair always avoided on such trips – Mr Brown decided to have a chat with the airman in charge of the machine gun poking out of the side of the helicopter in case of attack.

As they chatted, the airman let go of the gun, which swung round and came to rest directly in front of Mr Brown, making it appear as though he were the gunner.

A Press photographer travelling with Mr Brown seized the moment and started taking pictures of the smiling Premier."

JTIDS
20th Jul 2008, 18:46
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44846000/jpg/_44846381_-2.jpg

hmmm.....

On_The_Top_Bunk
20th Jul 2008, 18:54
I read today that Zanu Bob took a painful blow to the head as he exited the aircraft. Anyone confirm if his head hit the doorway or was it the GE's doing?

Nige this is almost a guaranteed event. It is normally the cause for a bet at Evens odds as everyone watches as he gets on.

Much chuckling ensues.

Grabbers
20th Jul 2008, 19:12
He's holding it the wrong way round!

NutLoose
20th Jul 2008, 21:16
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44846000/jpg/_44846381_-2.jpg

"Rubbish!! I told you we could remove the doors and funnel the money saved into our parliamentary MP's allowances, and this just proves the point !"

MOd tests new flak jackets for the nether regions.... Gordon Brown was caught yesterday testing the new flak Jacket specifically designed to protect ars****s..

ShyTorque
20th Jul 2008, 21:59
GB: "Tony, you left me a present called Iraq. Here's yours!!" :E

Rakshasa
21st Jul 2008, 00:36
And of course, this sudden trip and the Armed Forces welfare package just announced has nothing to do with the bad flak he's been getting from the Broken Covenent campaign.... or am I just cynical?

Hubstrasse
21st Jul 2008, 06:02
Must have brought some pressies with him. The Mail (that high-quality bastion of accurate pro-military journalism) said t'was a Super Puma - We wish.

He could have raised loads for Service Charities and improved morale in hours by auctioning his seat home - I'm sure the winning bidder would have left him his maggot and cot. But no... signed it over - cos it accountable!

Pontius Navigator
21st Jul 2008, 16:34
luoto,

One of the unforeseen consequences of FOI is that anyone can get the information provided they comply with the rules. You must state your name and your address. You should also say in what form you want the answer - paper, DVD, email or whatever.

Even the Kremlin has the right to information.

Lurking123
21st Jul 2008, 16:59
It must of been a Super Puma to lift that lardie ars........

Sorry, must go, black omega at the gate.

barnstormer1968
21st Jul 2008, 18:14
After watching a clip of the PM's visit on the TV news, I too have a question (It wont be after any secrets...I get all my new top secrets from the many MOD lap tops left on public transport:E)

When I saw the PM in a top of the range Puma, I could not help but notice that the chase helicopter wasn't also a Puma, and looked distinctly Black hawkish. How can this be, as our dear beloved PM said he had provided our troops with ALL THE KIT they need. Was the Blackhawk there purely by chance, or has the PM perhaps not delivered on his promise. Hmmm:}