PDA

View Full Version : JAA - FAA conversion

andi1234
20th Jul 2008, 12:32
Hi everyone,

I have a JAA CPL and am looking to convert to and FAA CPL. Does anyone know the process? Can this be done in the UK? Whether a flight test is envolved?

Any help greatly appreciated,

thanks

andy

OneIn60rule
20th Jul 2008, 12:46
You'd have to do a skill TEST and by way the FAA CPL focuses on other things that you may have not seen before. Chandelles, lazy eights etc.

You would definately need some pre training before taking an FAA CPL.

As for the other question. Not sure, would believe there are a few FAA chaps able to do an FAA CPL (In the UK) but not betting on it.

1/60

Chewie von Nubbins
20th Jul 2008, 15:35
I believe you would come out cheaper by taking a holiday to the US and doing it that way. If you meet the requirements prescribed in FAR 61 for a CPL with flight hours, then it should be fairly easy. For the average student that has never performed the single-engine CPL (CSEL) maneuvers, we usually tell them to prepare for 15 hours in a 172RG or PA-28. For the multi commercial, you can do that as an add-on with around 5-10 hours..

A 172RG or PA-28 will rent for around $175 per hour (wet) with an instructor. A PA-44 (Seminole) will go for around $240 per hour (wet) with an instructor. If you meet the requirements in part 61 with night flight, x/c flights, etc. you could knock the conversion out simply in 2 weeks time.

malc4d
20th Jul 2008, 15:48
Cant be done in the States as a ' holiday'
If you do it in the EU or the States you will need TSA clearance. If done in the EU you wont need a visa.................

Chewie von Nubbins
20th Jul 2008, 15:58
Grrrr...the small details. Sorry, didn't even think about that.

mcgoo
20th Jul 2008, 16:09
You don't need TSA for CPL, only initial PPL, ME, IR and TR

IRISHinUS
20th Jul 2008, 16:44
I wouldn't be too sure. You don't need a TSA approval to get a CPL if you ALREADY HAVE an FAA license. However this would count as an initial issuance hence he does need a TSA clearance.

You will need a Category 3 clearance. Very easy to get (if you're not on a watchlist or anything) look at: https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/afspindex.py?acct_type=c&section=FQ#C2

But you'll need to have the name of the Flight school where you want to go.

mcgoo
20th Jul 2008, 17:38
Irish, if you look at the clarification PDF file within your link, here:

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/TSA-2004-19147-0337.pdf

At the top of page two, it gives the interpretations for Foreign Alien flight students and states that the TSA only require clearance from them for the initial training (private, sport, recreational), the Instrument and multi ratings and also for type ratings on aircraft over 12,500.

andi1234
20th Jul 2008, 21:54
Cheers guys!

Thanks everyone, I'll have a ponder, looks like i'm in for a trip to the us...

andy