PDA

View Full Version : PPL Instructors are back!!

bluenose81huskys
20th Jul 2008, 11:41
Flight Training News: learn to fly, flying schools, PPL, CPL, ATPL ...

The news comes at a time when the UK is experiencing an unprecedented shortage of flight instructors, through a combination of ‘poaching’ of instructors by airlines desperate for pilots and through the high cost involved of becoming instructor rated due to the CPL requirement, which has resulted in fewer pilots training to become career instructors since the requirement was instigated in the late 1980s.

FTN has spoken with Peter Moxham, senior member of the British Business & General Aviation Association, who sits on many of EASA committees and working groups. Peter was able to confirm that EASA have agreed to the removal of the CPL requirement for all PPL instructors, paid or otherwise. EASA has been able to achieve this by filing a ‘differences’ claim with EU Parliament. As the CPL requirement is an ICAO regulation, not an EASA one, this was the only route open to Europe to achieve the removal of the CPL requirement. It should be noted however, that the removal of professional licence requirement for instructors only applies to those individuals who wish to teach private pilots. Instructors teaching students for professional licences will still be required to hold at least a CPL themselves. The general rule – which is in fact an EU Parliament regulation – is that in order to teach a licence you must be a holder of that licence yourself.

The NPA is due to be published over the next couple of months and will be available to view on EASA’s website Comments on the proposed changes are sought from affected parties and can be made via EASA’s online Comments Response Tool, or via European GA representative bodies such as European Air Sports.

rhythm08
20th Jul 2008, 12:12
This brilliant news!!!!!!

So what license would it be to teach PPL and get paid? Would there be any hour requirements to get the FI rating?

Lastly, where can you search fro flight instructor jobs?

Cheers

Jay

RMarvin86
20th Jul 2008, 12:30
Is it true that with EASA to get PAYED as a flight instructor it's enough to hold a PPL, FI , and a second class medical certificate? Or a first class will be necessary? And when can we expect to have the EASA regulation active? thx.

Captain_djaffar
20th Jul 2008, 14:07
that's extremely good news!!!!!!!!!!
Hope they figure everything out the soonest and assign the pertaining rules quickly!!!

nich-av
20th Jul 2008, 14:37
I have faith in the EASA.

We may see them establish rules made to serve a purpose and initiatives that go beyond what we have seen over the past decade with the JAA.

A common European license that does not require going to the CAA of each country each time is also in the making, together with the common sky that will enable optimal ATFM (air traffic flow management).

More than anything, I pray for common regulations throughout all EASA member countries, instead of JAR's "minimum requirements". Even more so as authorities run by Grandpa's like the French DGAC and the Italian CAA tend to be overly protectionist while being highly inefficient.

Capt Loop
20th Jul 2008, 18:11
Certainly the feeling from my flying club where I instruct and from other clubs in the South of England is that their ISNT a shortage of instructors and having a CPL would be preffered over a PPL in terms of knowledge and experience.

preduk
20th Jul 2008, 18:43
Well in my area of the world I know of several flying clubs who are struggling to retain instructors, mainly because they are being taken by the airlines.

I think it's a good idea if you want to increase the number of instructors, however I am curious if the same quality of teaching will be delivered to future student pilots.

MIKECR
20th Jul 2008, 20:12
These are only proposals, there's nothing cast in stone yet. Its probably at least a couple of years away, if it happens at all. You will also find that you will need at least 200 or 300 hours before you can do the FI rating on a PPL. Its not aimed at someone who's just finished a PPL, its aimed at 'experienced' private flyer's, most of whom will have far more flying knowledge than the average frozen ATPL student.

bluenose81huskys
20th Jul 2008, 20:26
Individuals wishing to become PPL instructors will now only be required to hold a PPL, 200 hours of flying time and to have successfully completed an Instructor Course.

AS MIKECR says, Nothing has been cast in stone yet!!

EASA have agreed to the removal of the CPL requirement for all PPL instructors, paid or otherwise. EASA has been able to achieve this by filing a ‘differences’ claim with EU Parliament.

So in other words it has been agreed in principal but people will have to wait for the finalisation.

bluenose81huskys
20th Jul 2008, 20:32
CAPT LOOP - Certainly the feeling from my flying club where I instruct and from other clubs in the South of England is that their ISNT a shortage of instructors and having a CPL would be preffered over a PPL in terms of knowledge and experience.

Thing is there are more PPL's out there that have a damn more lot experience than many many CPL's or ATPL's. Having a CPL does not mean that a CPL would be prefered over a PPL at all.

IF you have the knowledge and plenty flying experience then GO for it, I say:ok:!!!

MIKECR
20th Jul 2008, 20:34
and there is also the question of whether the UK(apologies to the rest of the EU) CAA will in fact adopt the EASA proposals.

bluenose81huskys
20th Jul 2008, 20:51
Well I am certainly going to do my CPL & IR theory still at least to give more chance of upgrading myself once I eventually begin a career instructors job, I have a long way to go yet though!! Money Money Money! But I think it will be worth it in the end since It was a dream when I was a kid and still is to this very day. I'm sticking to my job offshore just now for a 3 or so more years until at least £20,000 is saved up.

drivez
20th Jul 2008, 21:07
THinking about getting my PPL then doing instructor rating whilst doing ATPL training so as to earn some money after school. Is this a good idea or a no no.

MIKECR
20th Jul 2008, 21:10
The great PPL Instructor debate was done to the death recently in the private flying and instructor forums. There was the obvious argument about whether someone with ATPL knowledge was better placed to teach PPL's than an 'experienced' PPL holder. The most important and essential issue that came from the argument was that the Instructor(irrespective of level of theoretical knowledge) needed to have the ability to teach! You could be the greatest 'boffin' in the world but you might not be able to impart that knowledge worth a damn.

Okavango
21st Jul 2008, 08:58
I don't see that this will spectacularly change the situation? My understanding is that at present, to be paid an instructor needs:

PPL + ~100hrs + ATPL's (CPL Groundstudy) + CPL + FI

Now he/she will need:

PPL + 200hrs + FI

Are we not just arguing the difference in cost between an extra 100hrs (ideally not burnt through a Florida sky) compared against CPL/ATPL Groundstudy + CPL rating? I don't see much difference?

If there are many experienced PPL holders out there who wish to teach, they could do it now, only unpaid (the salary isn't that attractive and if there is a massive influx of labour then it's not exactly going to get any better so I can't see that attracting many). Beyond the main issue that pay is low, an instructor also needs to be available from any other commitment - so how many experienced PPL holders will actually go for it?

MIKECR
21st Jul 2008, 09:09
A lot of experienced ppl's are put off by the time and financial commitment required to attain a CPL or even CPL/ATPL exams. Many are also limited by medical requirements. I believe however that the EASA proposals will relax the class 1 medical aspect. To what extent though I dont know. I also think that the type of ppl who will be inclined to do the rating, will be the one who does it for the love of flying and wants to put something back into viation. I dont think the pay will be a huge issue for them. The cpl 'hour builders' so to speak will also still exist. They will teach on their cpl's, and disappear off when the first airline job comes up. same old same old...!

BEagle
21st Jul 2008, 09:41
The EASA Part FCL proposal is that, to instruct at PPL(A) level, the applicant will need either to hold a CPL(A) or to have 200 hours of flight time, including at least 150 hours as PIC.

Plus of course, the pre-entry requirements, FI course and Skill Test - none of these standards are going to be lowered.

FCL.205.A outlines PPL(A) privileges - and para (b) states that 'the holder of a PPL(A) may receive remuneration for the provision of flight instruction for the LPL(A) or the PPL(A).

RVR800
21st Jul 2008, 11:19
Its ironic that this comes will come into effect just as the UK enters a period
where there is likely to be a surplus of instructors due the flagging economy (a period likely to include declining spend and job losses) - :sad: