PDA

View Full Version : distance learning

attorney82
20th Jul 2008, 08:11
hi every body ,how long does the ATPL approxmatly take ?

attorney82
20th Jul 2008, 08:17
how long does the ATPL distance learning take approxmatly ?

Lurking123
20th Jul 2008, 08:46
For you, twice as long. :ok:

Realistically, ask yourself how many hours per day/week/month you can afford. I would say that if you can hit 25-30hrs a week it will take you 4-6 months.

attorney82
20th Jul 2008, 09:05
are you sure if i study 25 hour peer week i will finish in 4 to 6 month . how you know it wiil take 4 to 6 month did you do it

Brian304
20th Jul 2008, 11:43
Well I rather think it would take more than 6 months for distance learning realisticly, as the full-time students take 6 months and they study more than 25 hours a week (excluding home study). I would say that it depends how much you study every day or week, and also if you are prepared, I though it would be a walk in the park like university at the start, but it certainly wasn't. But after completing them all now I feel free. You also have to put in mind that you have to do the brush up classes everytime you go in for an exam. They only start on certain dates and need to be booked in advance.

Brian304:hmm:

Anonymus6
20th Jul 2008, 12:10
Can I ask why you post this issue twice?

To answer your question, I can say it all depends on you, your motivation, your capability to understand the subject, and discipline.

I have heard about guys finishing in 4-6 months all the subjects, and I have also heard taking more than a year.

You better get ready, becasue it takes time and is very complicated!!!

good luck

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 12:27
The estimates I was quoted were 6 months if you do a residential course, or 18 months distance learning.

I'm now in week 3 of my residential course, and i'm glad i chose this route. There is so much to take on board, its great to have someone there face to face to deal with it.

I've heard it's possible to pass most of them just using the bristol database, but I wouldn't trust that. There's no guarentee that all the questions are in there, and you'll be stuck on things like Gen Nav where calculations are required if you have no idea what you're doing.

If you study hard, distance learning could take less.

Captain_djaffar
20th Jul 2008, 18:29
Brian304 gave the right answer.
Btw thanks brian,i am in a quite same situation as attoney82.;)

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 22:04
Bear in mind that you only have 6 sittings in which to do 14 exams, so it's not like PPL where you can focus on one subject at a time, get it out of the way and move on, you HAVE to study for multiple subjects simultaneously. It makes the workload at any one time a lot harder.

Helififtysix
21st Jul 2008, 11:15
Hi there,

I have just finished or hopefully finished my distance learning course (haven't got the last lot of results yet.) It took me about 8 months to do which I felt was quite fast for it, It was a lot of hard work with having a job, try to fly at the weekends and life going on around it. But if you are choosing to do the distance learning you can gauge how hard you find each set of exams and if you run into difficulty you can take a bit more time before you take the exams. Just remember find a comfortable level to revise at and then you can work out how long it will take you. It’s not a race so take you time and try to enjoy it (even ops and air law)

Well hope this helps and best of luck with it :ok:

Mikehotel152
21st Jul 2008, 15:46
Example 1: No day job. Bright, well-motivated and self-sufficient student. No holidays. 35 hours per week studying. Bristol Ground School's two-module course. Module 1: 6 weeks plus 2 weeks brush up course and 1 week exams. Module 2: 4 weeks plus 2 weeks brush up course and 1 week exams. Total time 16 weeks.

Example 2: No day job. Bright but slightly lazy student. Only 25 hours per week and often checking questions and answers on the ATP online Forum. A two-week holiday. Bristol Ground School's two module course. Module 1: 10-14 weeks plus 2 weeks brush up course and 1 week exams. Module 2: 6-10 weeks plus 2 weeks brush up course and 1 week exams. Total time 22-30 weeks.

If you're trying to earn a living as well as study for the ATPL, possibly double these rough figures, but remember you have to attend 4 weeks of brush up courses and 2 weeks of exams. Does you job give you 6 weeks off per year? :bored:

Advice: Be honest with yourself about which category you fit into. We all think we're highly motivated, but can you sustain hard work for 4 months? Do you have family commitments? Can you get time off work? There are plenty of people who have done the ATPL exams even quicker than 16 weeks, but that is very tough. 8 months while working full-time, as one poster managed, is very good going IMHO! :ok: