PDA

View Full Version : SkyCops TV Program

Ned-Air2Air
20th Jul 2008, 05:58
Just been sitting down watching SkyCops here in TV in Kiwiland and have a couple of questions.

1. Where is the South Yorkshire Police based (dont shoot, I am a kiwi)

2. In this show the 902 was aog because of a fuel transfer valve that was leaking. I know a lot of the units around the UK have a backup aircraft. Is this not the case with this unit or are they a new operation.

3. Since when did the 902 start sounding like a 205/47 :=:= Why cant the producers at least use a proper soundtrack. :ugh:

Otherwise great show, and really proves the effectiveness of the helicopter when it comes to law enforcement. Congrats to all the crews involved in the program. :ok::ok:

Ned

md 600 driver
20th Jul 2008, 06:34
NED
its in south yorkshire

steve

Ned-Air2Air
20th Jul 2008, 06:39
Steve,

Being a kiwi even I was able to work that one out :ok:

What I was wondering, and should have clarified it, is where in the UK is South Yorkshire. ?

Ned

John Eacott
20th Jul 2008, 07:25
Neville,

Even I can manage Google: Air Support Units (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/airsupportunit.asp), follow the links to the map for South Yorkshire Police Air Support Unit :ok:

Bladecrack
20th Jul 2008, 09:03
Since when did the 902 start sounding like a 205/47 Why cant the producers at least use a proper soundtrack.

Ned,

I totally agree.. Within half an hour it can go from a 47 through to a B205 and B206. Surely the muppets that make it know heli pilots are watching it and will know the difference.

They dont show film of Formula 1 cars on TV with a dubbed soundtrack of a Skoda or a Ford Fiesta now do they, so why make such a hash of heli programs..:{

Paradism
20th Jul 2008, 11:22
The lack of a correct soundtrack is quite possibly because the MD 902 is probably the quietest chopper flying and they (the producers) are trying to enhance the film drama. I live under the approach to Gloucestershire Airport where many 902s go for maintenance and never hear them. I only know if one is passing over if I happen to be outside at the time. Always hear 135s, 105s, 109s and all the other popular makes.

pigeon902
20th Jul 2008, 14:11
902’s quiet! I live near a hospital that is used frequently by the local air amby and even if I have the windows closed I still get woken up by the bl**dy thing going over. Must admit its a lovely sound to wake up to.

MightyGem
20th Jul 2008, 21:40
I know a lot of the units around the UK have a backup aircraft.
There are no backup aircraft these days, since units moved away from the Squirrels to the 902 and EC 135. Who is going to go to the expense of buying and equipping one(or half a dozen in the case of 902s, :} ) of these aircraft to use as a spare? Plus who pays for the maintenace and spares?

Some units used to continue to use a Squirrel as backup, but the availability of an aircraft was decreasing, plus the cost of keeping pilots current on both types was becoming a factor, and I think that we at Merseyside were the last to give it up last year.

Also, the programme's a repeat from 2006.

Whirlygig
20th Jul 2008, 21:43
I think Norfolk still use a spare squirrel from Sterling when the Bolkow's in bits!

Cheers

Whirls

tightrope
20th Jul 2008, 21:46
Think the other problem is, is that spare 902's (role equipped) are a bit thin on the ground..!!

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2008, 13:00
Slow day Sid?

What I found funny (as in peculiar, not ha-ha!) was the guy who was scared of flying! (i) why did he even apply for the role and (ii) how did he manage to get so far! :}

Cheers

Whirls

PANews
4th Sep 2008, 16:03
Well he was a Metropoltan Police officer Whirls so you can make some likely assumptions...:)

The whole effort seemed to be a freeby [as in it was a few paid day trips to Epping Forest on full pay] and that alone injects a bit of variety in a 30 year career .... :bored:

If he thought about his fear of flying at all :rolleyes: he may well have had a greater fear of financing a trial flight of his own... so the trip to Lippitts saved him £30 there for a start....;)

Seems like a good plan overall and he got away with it:ok:.

whoateallthepies
5th Sep 2008, 07:56
Video only available in the UK!! :{
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

PANews
5th Sep 2008, 08:16
Can you not access it on the BBC web site?

Bravo73
5th Sep 2008, 10:08
Not from outside the UK, no. Waatp is currently near a sandpit!

whoateallthepies
5th Sep 2008, 13:51
Nope PA, Bravo is right. The clever sods at the BBC will only let UK addresses see it. Why, I don't know. http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

Bravo73
5th Sep 2008, 15:13
'Tis because of the licence fee and international broadcasting rights etc etc.

PANews
5th Sep 2008, 16:40
So we urgently need an inventor.... tune into the BBC see it again.... spin round the webcam to screen capture .... and call you up on the Skype!

If I had known beforehand I would have recorded it and run it at the Dubai Helishow!

Saved from sinning by a lack of knowledge!

whoateallthepies
6th Sep 2008, 10:13
I appreciate the thought http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg