PDA

View Full Version : Charters in Africa

Alexander87
18th Jul 2008, 17:39
Hi guys!
I just finished to get all the licences and I'm looking for any kind of small charter companies in the whole Africa to improve my experience and get much more flight hours!
With small charter companies I mean flying something like single engine or light twins!
Does anyone know if somewhere in Africa is hiring cadet pilots?
I heard that in Maun,Botswana and in Nigeria maybe is possible to find what I'm looking for.
Could anyone please suggest me any related links or something?
Thank you very much!

Alexander

cavortingcheetah
18th Jul 2008, 18:03
:hmm:

Alexander,

Avanti a lui tremava tutta Roma!

Well not quite Alexander nor Hannibal neither, although I am sure that he came close to rumpling the Romans. No, Scarpia it was but then you're probably too young to remember Maria Callas asTosca.
Look, I am not a moderator so I apologise if I tread on toes here and I stand by to be expunged. But without wishing to enter into endless repetition I would like to say the following as it is probably more polite to post this than it is to ignore your request.
There are such a lot of new pilots coming onto the Africa Forum these days asking just such questions as you have. There is masses of Pprune information available if you search and very carefully go through all the past posts. Little Rodrigo, related to Caesare, has had more than his fair share of contributions to the waffle. Might I suggest that you do a little more homework and then, when you have some rather more specific questions, I know that there are some very decent and knowledgable people floating in the ether who will try to answer them for you.
The first port of call for you though, after you have done the research on aviation, would be to find out about work permits. You will find they are hard to acquire. Although I suppose you might get one in Abyssinia if your name were Baratieri and would accept a basing at Adowa.:ooh:
Wishing you the best of luck. cc

Alexander87
19th Jul 2008, 12:04
I'm wondering why you decided to reply me if you cannot directly help me..
Thank you for you advises...but I really don't know what could have been much polite,if answering or not.Because I cannot understand your sense of humor,you know...starting your post with an historical lesson about Tosca..looks strange..
But if you're spanish maybe I can understand..

Anyway..I haven't got any specific question about african companies at the moment.
That's why I made a general question to everybody,hoping to be replyed by someone who could direct me in something more specific.

But it's ok,no problem.By the time something will come up!

Just to reply to your Roman historic lessons....never forget ROMA CAPUT MUNDI!!!!

Ciao,

Alexander

cavortingcheetah
19th Jul 2008, 13:46

The Spanish are a noble race of people, given to enjoying life and laughter. Unhappily I was not born of that ilk in this life but looking forward to a return to the Goyaesque days in the next. The Armada came much closer to defeating the English than the sceptered isle would care to admit. The weather played a large part in the affair. When does it not in Britain? England did not really become Britain you see until after Elizabeth had died and James VI of Scotland became James I of England. The Great part of great britain, is a figment of the imagination, good for a fleeting second of history.
Indeed, Roma caput mundi and much of that which moulded England came form Rome. After all, you chaps were over there for nearly five hundred years. There must be a lot of English/Italianos which no doubt explains why the British build such dreadful cars while the Enzo's legacy lives on in that sublime machine, the 599. But that is all a digression. Neither Spanish nor English I.
Away with the history as you so rightly say. The Moderators, who some might compare with Lictors will probably be removing this post shortly. Lictors, as you need no telling, carried rods to beat the public and axes to decapitate them. (There's a Latin word for you!) Your English is excellent, I salute you for it!
Anyway, you are probably right and I should not have answered your post.
Here are the results of ten minutes Googling. Perhaps there may be a helpful clue in there somewhere.

Flight companies - Botswana Travel Guide (http://www.botswana-travel-guide.com/bradt_guide.asp?bradt=933)

Planning a Trip - New York Times (http://travel.nytimes.com/frommers/travel/guides/africa/botswana/frm_botswana_2491010002.html)

Charter flights at CharterHub.com: Air charter service, private jet charter, corporate travel, aircraft charter. (http://www.charterhub.com/)

Nigeria Charter Operators (http://www.aircharterguide.com/Operators/Nigeria/NG)

Welcome To Overland Airways........Flying For You. (http://www.overland.aero/)

I think you will find a few companies listed within these pages.
Some of them, in which you might be interested, will no doubt be known to those who frequent these pages.

Toodle Pip.....Res ipsa loquitur.....cc:)

Alexander87
21st Jul 2008, 12:36

You are lucky..the Moderators didn't cancel your post!
However may I suggest you an historical teachers forum?
I'm always wondering if you're a pilot or an history teacher!You're lecture is brilliant!
Do you like the Ferrari?

However...finally...I have to thank you for your suggested websites!
Thank you also for your salute to my written english,but I don't know if you're telling the truth about that!

Ciao!!!

Alexander

cavortingcheetah
21st Jul 2008, 14:59

Reminds me of Sir Charles Napier in 1842 after he had captured the Muslim province of Sindh, in what today is Pakistan. Wanting to keep the communcatory fact secret from prying eyes, the Russians in particular, he sent a telegram to England with one word written it it. 'Peccavi'. You will understand the pun? He had been expressly forbidden from taking Sindh so he was both subterfugeous and correct.
No lies about your excellent English. They were a lot better educated in Napier's day though!
Good luck with your hunt. Be glad to try and help with any questions. Will put pilot hat back on.
Totsiens.
cc :)

Alexander87
23rd Jul 2008, 19:04

Do you know why the moderators don't cancel your posts?
Cause your historical sentences are charming and deserve respect!...I'm not kidding!

No more doubts about your job but..I cannot understand where do you come from!
Lots of news about African websites,lots of information known.....maybe you belong to this huge continent.

Anyway..thank you for your help!

Regards,

Alexander

cavortingcheetah
23rd Jul 2008, 19:44

It is most kind of you to say so, thank you.
With the pilot hat firmly on, here's a website that one and all might find useful.

ParsPilot.com - Welcome to the Persian/Iranian Pilot Network (http://www.parspilot.com/)

Quite apart from finding someone to employ you in Africa, your problem really will be one of work permits. Most people who find work flying in Maun in Botswana, usually just seem to turn up there at the beginning of the season, and take their opportunities from there. Quite a lot has been posted on this forum on Maun. You would probably just need to scroll back though reams of pages looking for likely enquiries about charter flying or even instruction. Don't think there's much that ever comes up about Nigeria. It's not a place that most seem to want to live. I went for an interview once for a job there with a Dornier 328 operator. It was very disquieting to be told that one should not sleep with the local women or contract malaria and that if one were to find oneself a little crazy, the company would help one import a piano, as they had done for another one of their Captains. Perhaps best to avoid altogether, just look at the history of the place!
I wish you the best of luck.
Flew for a little while for Gandalf in Bergamo, a really lovely city and a very nice company. The Chief Pilot was a fine chap.:D