PDA

View Full Version : Headsetting

bezovski
17th Jul 2008, 18:29
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I work for swissport, at MAN, as a ramp agent. I will soon be starting my training for headsetting. I would like to know the steps in the procedure, as much or little detail as you like. I would especially like to know the exchange between pilot and ground crew. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.:ok:

cjhants
17th Jul 2008, 18:49
its about 20 years since i did the headset job, but they were some of the happiest days of my career.
there is too much to tell you to give you all the information here, and your company will have its own laid down procedures. but always check you have the steering bypass pin in place before you connect the towbar. always make sure the flight deck has taken the brakes off before you push, if in doubt, double check.

although you may have been given clearance to push, keep a good lookout behind you, the crew can see very little going backwards, and they will be busy starting at least one of the engines. they are relying on you to make sure the push is safe. i wont go into all the instructions passed between you and the flight deck, but as always, keep it standard. and i always adressed the captain/FO as Sir!

just to give you an idea of the type of exchanges (this is from long ago!) and may not be your company standard. also i may have forgotten something!

FD- brakes off, clear to push, nose east (or whatever)
you - repeat that and signal to tug driver.
FD - starting one (or two etc) they may ask, they may tell you.
when push is complete
you: push complete, set brakes.
FD - brakes set.
you - disconnecting towbar, will signal you when clear, have a good flight sir.

disconnect your headset, close the panel, when the bar is disconnected, take out the bypass pin. WALK to the edge of the taxiway, and wave the pin, ensuring you and the tug/bar are well out of the way.

have fun

groundhogbhx
17th Jul 2008, 21:32
Basically what he said, some companies have there own checks before push (all doors and hatches secure, beacons on/rotating all clear and ready for push etc...), but that would all be in the training. You will always start by listening in on others before they let you have a go just to get the feel for what happens and when. After a couple of weeks you will be wondering what all the fuss is about.:ok:

groundhand
18th Jul 2008, 14:17
bevoski,

I've got some Training and Procedure stuff from a few years back.
PM me if you want a copy.

Also if you can have a look at an IATA AHM (Aircraft handling manual) Chapter 6 - AHM 631 you will find a lot of useful information there.

If you are going to use a headset you must also be proficient in all the hand signals in case of equipment failure.

GH

spannersatcx
18th Jul 2008, 17:24
Most airlines have set procedures and are found in their repective procedures manuals, suggest you go and ask for them from them.

Some airlines insist on an engineer being on the headset for obvious reasons.

Some examples of exchanges -
FD - No1 engine won't start
FD - I have an EICAS Advisory/status .......
FD - No N1 indication
FD - I have RF on no4 hydraulics
FD - I've lost VHF L & C

You must know the basic handsignals which can be found in various manuals.

legalize
18th Jul 2008, 18:24
Just ask for a transfer to swissport bhx or aviance. They will pass you out regardless of whether you have been trained or not..:=:=

cjhants
19th Jul 2008, 08:23
spanners - it was mandatory for us to have either the headset man or the tug driver to be a licensed engineer. but i think things have changed in recent years.