PDA

View Full Version : Are We Saving Our Instructor History?

smo-kin-hole
17th Jul 2008, 05:41
A few years back I found a crumpled old Cessna 152 panel poster behind a cabinet at a school with all-glass 172s. I cleaned it up and framed it.

Is anyone saving flight school memorobilia? All the beat-up toy planes, the styrofoam cups made into whisky compasses, the drawings of ground reference maneuvers, anything? We are learning it all on CDs now or on a simulator. I think a certain heritage is being lost. I picked a very old E6B out of a trash barrel in the back of a hangar. Next to it was an old IFR hood of a type I haven't seen in decades.

We certainly are not lacking for warbird worshipers. I just think that flight instruction ought to have its own museum hangar somewhere, before the ramps are full of plastic planes and nobody remembers what the "sacred six" meant. I have about 2000 dual-given and my CFI ticket is a cherished possession and life experience. Anyway, fly safe and remember Accelerate north, decelerate south, east is least, west is best, overshoot south, undershoot north, tomato flames, and one hour AFTER sunset!

Milt
17th Jul 2008, 06:52
This very day I posted to RAAF's Central Flying School my memoirs of 1953/4 in preparation for CFS's 95th anniversary in August. Heartell that the RAAF's CFS was the world's first.

Will demand that CFS keep its historicals in good shape.

Most of the Museums down under do well with the old stuff.

lady in red
17th Jul 2008, 08:11
In my office I have some old instruments for demos but I also have an old metal airspeed indicator of the kind that used to be on Tiger Moths. most people these days do not know what it is! As I keep it next to the bent coat hanger used for demos of ADF aerials, they think I made it out of something else! My husbamd collects old Dalton and other types of nav computers and has an archive of old materials.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Jul 2008, 08:20
Well, according to these chaps;
Central Flying School (http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/History/HistoryFrame.htm)

CFS was formed at Upavon in Wiltshire on 12 May 1912. The primary aim was not to produce aviators as such, but professional war pilots.

http://www.rafweb.org/Command_Groups/CFS.jpg