PDA

View Full Version : Lancashire Police ASU Warton

VfrpilotPB/2
16th Jul 2008, 09:52
The local ASU have just flown over my house in a Twin Squirrel, can only say,..... is your other motor away for a service, what a difference the noise level was, twice possible more than the shiney new Copter. mind you the wind was bearing on your port side and that possibly gave me a better range of noise,....... but all the same it was on full volume!:ooh:

Peter R-B

on21
16th Jul 2008, 10:09
At least they've got one to go up. We've two and they've both been tech for a while.

What does an ASU do when their toy is broken?

FloaterNorthWest
16th Jul 2008, 12:01
I doubt it was the ASU flying it as they don't hire in relief aircraft or keep the crew current on a second type.

It was probably one of the mainly ex-Police machines that are out there and still in the hi-vis paint scheme and still have the camera turret fitted.

Vfr, if you let me know were in Lancs you are I will bring you a really noisy helicopter to compare. In fact I should offer the service to units and go and fly over complainants to educate them that the Police machine they are complaining about is one of the quietest on the market.

FNW

MightyGem
16th Jul 2008, 12:05
Well if anyone should know, on21 should. How many aircraft do you have??

on21
16th Jul 2008, 14:58
Technically we've got 3, that's 1 old one, 1 new and one, and a fixed wing aircraft that only god himself knows what it's tasking are!

I hear the fixed wing more often when it's doing practice instrument approaches at Blackpool than I do when I'm at work.

Why would I need to know, I'm a mushroom.:}

Droopy
16th Jul 2008, 15:04
ON21....err, are you in Lancashire or GMP? Lancs has one EC135.

Peter R-B, there has been a conspicuity patterned twin squirrel on commercial work out of EGNH for a few days now, that's probably it.

on21
16th Jul 2008, 15:34
For my sins, GMP!

VfrpilotPB/2
16th Jul 2008, 15:46
Droopy,

Well it was painted as the Bear in the Air colour scheme, it was tracking the Blackburn to Clitheroe railway line and did have a chin mounted Camera housing on, and it was and did sound like a bag of spanners being shaken as it passed more or less overhead.

Floater,

350yards slightly North East from the Bulls head on the tree line,on the very boundary of the Ribble valley and Brownhill. Ill get a GPS fix and send it, let e know when your goin past and Ill get a photo of you!

Vfr:ok:

VeeAny
16th Jul 2008, 15:54
Peter

Might it have been something like http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/6/8/3/20950_1174309386_tb.jpg

Network rail have two I think (not sure if they own them) operated by PDG ISTR.

Gary

Thud_and_Blunder
16th Jul 2008, 16:40
Network Rail? Shome mishtake shurely - I thought they were on contract to BTP.

What does an ASU do when their toy is broken?
...I can think of 2 which get the contractor to bring in the spare, with strict time limits on how long they go-without before stringent penalties are incurred. Make that 3, if Wilts still have their excellent PFI contract going.

MightyGem
16th Jul 2008, 18:08
For my sins, GMP!

Ah, it was the username that fooled us.

on21
16th Jul 2008, 18:26
I know, a bit of a cabbage on the quiet. Saying that it's not been used for a good while.

av8or999
16th Jul 2008, 18:32
ON21, where are you based, Barton? And would you be rotary pilot? :ok:

VfrpilotPB/2
16th Jul 2008, 19:20
Gary,

That just could be the bag of spanners, its more or less identical. ...So I guess I could have misled you good people and cast a shadow onto the Lancs Warton ASU's good reputation,. and their shiney newish EC "Whisper Quiet" machine.... Sorry Droops and gang:ouch:

Peter R-B:O

on21
16th Jul 2008, 21:23
Titerope, apparently the new 902 is here, and there in the process of swapping some of the kit over I belive.

Letsby Avenue
16th Jul 2008, 21:49
Don't worry Peter, I saw it too and wondered what Lancs were up to...:ok:

tightrope
16th Jul 2008, 22:07
BTP been using G-SYPA for a while over the last 2 years or so...

it was with veritair but not sure who has it now... and it still got police fit, and colours..

Have GMP taken delivery of their new 902 now then..??

misterbonkers
16th Jul 2008, 22:08
GNTWK is network rail chopper. GNETR is the backup but often goes out on powerline patrols with a gimbal on the front.

I believe the CAA exemption is down to 200ft over built up areas.

Mr. Rotorvator
21st Feb 2009, 14:22
Does any one out there know which company supplies the pilots for Lancashire ASU?

rotors59
21st Feb 2009, 14:50
Yes!..........................direct employment with Lancashire Constabulary. I didn't know there were any vacancies!

Marco
21st Feb 2009, 14:52
They're all directly employed by that constabulary.

Mr. Rotorvator
21st Feb 2009, 16:30
Thanks.

I don't know if there are any vancancies either, but I won't know unless I ask!