PDA

View Full Version : flight planning LIDO vs Jeppesen vs EAG

crjlover
15th Jul 2008, 13:34
Hi all,
after a long time in about 7 mounths we should change our flight planning system. The 3 the system that we are looking at are: LIDO, Jeppesen, EAG.
I would like to know what your experiance with these systems.
We operate a mixed fleet of 25 aircraft on medium to short route in europe.

che439
4th Aug 2008, 11:16
Hi,
forget about jeppesen Jet planner. have you heard about FWZ, you can compare it with Lido. they are both fantastic filght planning system.
good luck:D

Lauderdale
4th Aug 2008, 11:21
Hi,
forget about jeppesen Jet planner.

Really che439 - would you like to enlighten us all with your experience and wisdom when it comes to using Jetplanner or any flight planning system for that matter.

Would appreciate a constructive analysis why in your view Jetplanner should be 'forgotten' about!

:confused:

Penguin124
4th Aug 2008, 11:35
Ive used a few in my time, Air Data, Rodos, Jet Planner, SITA and now LIDO.

Although each have their "quirks", LIDO is a good system, database can be a bit tricky to manage sometimes and some of the set up procedures for writing rules could be better, but on the whole, I would say the best of the bunch and generated routes are probably 90-95% RAD compliant routes.

If you want some more info, you can PM me, been using LIDO for a number of years now.

Penguin 124

Lauderdale
4th Aug 2008, 12:54
Valid and good points Penguin - some issues with LIDO might be price/deployment and data base management.

Thats not knocking the system - as it is a good system, just providing a balanced view.

JRC
11th Aug 2008, 22:41
first of all it depends on the size of your airline.
secondly the costs involved
thirdly the staffing.

Lido is a highly automated system which is worth if you have a fleet of 25 or more aircraft, and not much staff required.

Jeppesen is also useful for a midsize type airline, less costly then Lido, fully internet based and gives more flexibility to dispatchers in making own adjustments.

jackdaniels
25th Aug 2008, 22:43
I'm recently using Lido for LR flights, and this is the first fully automated software I've ever seen!!! I was using Sabre and jepp but nothing comparable with Lido. my company has around60 acfts and thanks to lido we can handle the whole fleet in 3 dispatchers.... The cost obviously is always proportional to the quality of the product... if you want to cut on the price then you cut also on the quality! your choice:ok:

ferratini
26th Aug 2008, 12:08
Does anybody knows where I can find LIDO's user manual in electronic format?

Thanks.

lido_master
27th Aug 2008, 19:53
Hi,

I'm afraid that nowhere in the internet.
Mail me on PM and write which version are you interested in
and which part of Lido.
I cannot promise anything, but I'll try.

rgds
Dino

airfixer
1st Sep 2008, 13:16
As is so often the case with these threads, the concept of ‘horses for courses’ appears to be lost. Whilst it is true that LIDO has a couple of useful features, it certainly comes with a hefty price tag and a non-trivial support overhead. Conversely, the Jeppesen Jetplanner option has a lot of good features and a considerably nicer user interface (as opposed to LIDO which is a human factors nightmare), and for a lot less cost.
As for f:wz, I would highly recommend a chat with Gulf Air (amongst others) since I doubt very much that they would be singing the virtues of this system . . .
“Che439”, you seem to have gone a bit quiet. Care to enlighten us all on the basis of your wisdom or are you happy to join the list of ‘contributors’ to on-line forums who make wild statements with no attempt to justify them ?

mutt
1st Sep 2008, 15:14
As for f:wz, I would highly recommend a chat with Gulf Air (amongst others) since I doubt very much that they would be singing the virtues of this system . . .

Some of our people looked at F:wz but we walked away before comprehensive testing was done. Can you expand on the problems that GF are encountering?

What have people got to say about Sabre flight planning?

Mutt

airfixer
2nd Sep 2008, 09:25
"Mutt", I'm not a GF employee so won't go into specifics hence the suggestion
that they be contacted. Its my understanding however that they're throwing it out and rumour is they're not the only airline to be unhappy with it. Hardly a surprise when sales people grand statements about cost savings that bear little resemblance to reality . . .
As for Sabre, no real experience with that although its interesting that
Cargolux still make use of Jeppesen on a periodic basis which has one suspecting that Sabre struggles in one or two areas.
The moral of the story is that there's no such thing as a perfect tool and
all require a degree of manipulation to 'make things happen'. The difference
is whether its done in the backend by a nav/perf manager or whether its by a
dispatcher. My preference is to database as much as possible in advance so as to enable the maximum amount of automation on the day with no loss of accuracy. Add in additional features such as calculation of overflight costs or variable cost index and you should have a useful tool which would provide cost optimisation.
Its ultimately the cost of ownership versus the ROI the tool provides that
should form the basis of a buying decision but what I do know is that if it
seems to good to be true, it usually is!

merlinxx
2nd Sep 2008, 19:10
I'm not employed by any of the CFP suppliers, though I know most. Can we just have a honest unbiased (no supplier input SVP) opinions, good, bad or otherwise.

Please base these on the following example of operator size:

PVT/Corporate 01 to 05 acft

Charter (not air carrier) 01 to -----

Frax such as NJ (US/Euro)

Charter air carrier

Flag air carrier

Military/Head of State

That's just an example list, so come on you lot, a free unbiased flow of user info is good for us all.

Thks 'Arthur's little helper':E