PDA

View Full Version : FIC Exam Tips

geordiejet
15th Jul 2008, 07:23
Hi - I'm hoping to resit my FIC pretty soon, and I must say, I've never been so nervous about a test in my life!

Last time my examiner was notoriously strict, so I'm hoping my next examiner will not have such a tough ass reputation.

Any tips on getting through? What examiners like, what they don't like? Etc etc.

Duchess_Driver
15th Jul 2008, 09:47
.....chocolate hob-nobs.

Seriously, my examiner was fair, mainly because I think I was honest. Understand your limitations, and understand that even with a restricted FI rating, you're not done learning.

Answer the question that is being asked, not the question you want to answer. I knew that I didn't know all of the answers - but knew where I could reference them if I needed to. Don't waffle.

Above all - prepare yourself to the best of your ability. If you make the effort it will be noted by the examiner. Relax. Most examiners are human (one or two I've met that stretch that definition) and most know that you'll be nervous and some allowance for that will usually be factored into their analysis of you're performance.

Enjoy the experience - and enjoy instructing afterwards.

scherzo
15th Jul 2008, 11:47
Hi Geordiejet,

you didn't say what the problem was with your first attempt, but remember the FIE is there to assess your teaching skills. Obviously this presumes a degree of knowledge. Think about how you put things across to a student pilot. You may end up explaining a general principle of something and then referring to book for detail and/or diagrams. Start from the general picture, then work down to detail but keep it simple.

Beyond that, the examiner might then ask supplementary questions to test your depth of knowledge, expecially if anything was unclear or incorrect in your first answer to "bloggs".

Good luck!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
19th Jul 2008, 10:47
Seems like you have had bad luck.

Even though I was nervous about my FI test, I found it to be one of the most relaxed flight/ground tests I have ever done, once you are into the swing of it, it turns out to be enjoyable.

You must remember you are not expected to know everything, however, you must know where to find the information should you not know the answer to a question.

On the flying side, take your time and make sure you know the correct patter, and that you are proficient with the mandatory items such as the spin demo and PFL.

Good luck with it. Once you start working it really is a great job.

All the best.

Whopity
22nd Jul 2008, 14:16
The examiner is looking for some evidence that you can teach. That means dissecting an exercise into small pieces, demonstrating to the student (FIE), then teach by allowing the student (FIE) to follow through and finally, you let him have a go and keep quiet whist he practices. The examiner will invariably make a few mistakes so that you can identify the error, re-teach as appropriate and debrief him afterwards.