PDA

View Full Version : Sub Part Q Ftl

Banzai Eagle
14th Jul 2008, 17:45
Supposedly starts 16th July

UK - keeping CAP371 as it's more restrictive in 99.9% of cases, and "safer".

Heard the Scandic Countries may have moved from points to Sub Part Q but nothing heard from the rest of Europe

So after 20 years of waiting, more meetings in BRU than i can recollect, recollecting various German Airlines saying sub part Q would send them to the wall - has it all been a waste of time :ugh:

Any offers?

acmi48
15th Jul 2008, 04:41
original jar ops subpart q was adopted by icelandic caa and the luxembourg government- and in the case of lux govt as LAW!!..

Big Tudor
15th Jul 2008, 08:20
has it all been a waste of time
Nope, we helped to keep profits up at the Stella Artois brewery! ;)

All in all, it was never going to acheive what it set out to. Everyone who understood what was reality said that the FTL schemes across Europe were too diverse to harmonise. They were right. The actual Sub Part Q that is coming out is a seriously watered down version of what was proposed. National (and company) FTL schemes have developed over years of operating in specific environments. The Scandihooligans developed the points system because of their own unique location, but would it work in the UK? Probably not. We have different limits based on the type of flying that is done from these fair shores, but we also have different rest and time off requirements that encompass the type of flying but also the cultural 'norms' in this country.

IMHO the whole JAR FTL proposal had little to do with harmonising duty times throughout the EU and more to do with increasing the profile of a little known EU politician. It's interesting that the implementation of Sub Part Q doesn't appear in the 'acheivements' section of the MEP's website! :hmm:

So back to the question. Waste of time? Well yes and no. No because all those BRU trips were worthwhile in getting some of the more contentious issues removed or amended. Yes because it wasn't what was needed in the first place. I can't seem to remember the last time an aircraft "fell out of the sky" because the pilots were asleep.

Epsilon minus
15th Jul 2008, 12:17
Firstly the implementation of EU-OPS has been postpned from the 16th to the 29th July as it still awaits ratification from the EU Parliament.

Sub Part Q dips its toes in pan European regulation but I believe there will be no aleviation from CAP371 for the time being.
EASA are working on pan European regulation akin to FAR and this is called (at the momement) IR-OPS (IR = Implementation Rules). When this comes into effect then CAP 393 will be removed from the statute book and no longer becomes law. All good stuff!
I am wondering if IR-OPS will make provision for the licencing of OPS Officer/Flight Dispatchers? This is the law in some EU countries and I cant see them revoking this just to please the CAA.