PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Weights

bsal
13th Jul 2008, 23:35
Just wondering what are the standard passenger weights for male and female now?

john_tullamarine
13th Jul 2008, 23:58
The ought not to be a "definitive" answer as the answer is linked to the population for which the "standard weight" is intended to apply. So one would expect to see a range of standard weights according to circumstance.

OverRun
14th Jul 2008, 03:06
This was discussed a bit in an earlier PPRUNE post (http://www.pprune.org/forums/questions/161056-avg-pax-weights.html)

Pugilistic Animus
14th Jul 2008, 14:38
In the USA--- I think it's about 150 {Kg} for females and 300 {Kg} for males:}

seriously--you air carrier regs should state standard weight assumed for male and female pax and crew members--I'm just too lazy to look it up:ouch:

sammy oid
14th Jul 2008, 15:16
Standard passenger weights should be in the region of

male/88kgs
female/70kgs
child/40kgs
infant/0kgs

slip and turn
14th Jul 2008, 15:31
It's not a problem to provide you with the standard aviation answer - "it's not a problem" -which we all know is the standard answer to a whole host of sundry questions until the opposite view pervades through some thought-provoking incident or three.

Until then, and judging from the usual multitude of answers, views and combinations possible on this one, with various seasons, trends, sensitivities and destinations impinging on the same airline specific standard in many cases, one might be forgiven for reverting full circle to a more pertinent question like "What do the standard weights need to be today on this flight?". I am told that the answer is usually most accurately obtained once you have successfully launched your 70 tonne or whatever weighing machine and balanced it nicely whilst pointing it most assuredly at the ceiling for a bit.

After obtaining your number you can then start asking more pertinent questions like "Well we didn't run out of runway but do we still have enough fuel for/are we overweight for what we are planning to do next?"

:}

ft
15th Jul 2008, 05:05
JAR OPS 1 (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/jar-ops-1.pdf)

AC 120-27E (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/84087a61b8fb9582862570220064e03c/$FILE/AC120-27E.pdf)

FlightDirector7
17th Jul 2008, 10:37
Hi bsal,

As per the civil aviation requirements here in India, standard passenger weights are as follows :

1. 85 kgs for crew (75+10)
2. 75 kgs for both adult male and female.
3. 35 kgs for children between the age of 2-12 yrs.
4. 10 kgs for children below 2 yrs of age.

This ofcourse may be different in Ireland.

But i hope this gives you an idea. Cheers

Opssys
18th Jul 2008, 17:33
Flight Directors Post intrigued me as when I reading this thread I began searching my memory for the Weights I was using 30 Plus Years ago:
Males: 75kgs or 78kgs including H/Baggage
Females 65kgs or 68kgs including H/Baggage
Children: 40kgs or 43kgs including H/Baggage
Infants always 10kgs.

Baggage weights were always passed as actuals regardless of type of Service. However the Load Planners did for their purposes produce average weight per passenger and baggage for all long haul routes, the only one that stuck in my mind was LGW-LOS 95kgs - If that seems unreal, then if you Dispatched those services in that era you would be tempted to think that figure was far too low.

Crew Weights as for Passengers - Crew Baggage allowance did vary by long and short haul and for a very small number of 'difficult routes' included essential supplies.

Admiral346
19th Jul 2008, 22:18
ft - can you be a bit more specific?

I could just write "the law", and be about as good as you...

nic

ft
22nd Jul 2008, 07:58
I thought it was easy to find once you had the documents on screen. My apologies. I've probably spent too much time reading JAR/CAA/FAA Volapük, I'm not even registering the incomprehensibility and difficulty of navigating it anymore...

Here are the exact references:

JAR-OPS 1.620

AC 120-27E §201-205

If you want to understand standard weights, a more thorough read is recommended. AC 120-27E is actually a rather good bundle of Volapük! If you want a challenge, get hold of one of the earlier editions. The FAA did a good job updating it.