PDA

View Full Version : Younger generations?

17thhour
13th Jul 2008, 02:50
Hi,

Just started this thread to ask what you FI's and examiners etc see in the trend of age groups going for the PPL?

At my club (which also does training) i've recently noticed quite a rise in the amount of young people going for it: i.e 15,16,17 year olds and was just wondering what the trend was like elsewhere?

I got my PPL when I was 17 aswell and did the whole solo when 16 thing, but was in a definite minority! It honestly looks like the norm' here now with nobody batting an eyelid at a 16 year old solo.

Whats the trend like elsewhere? Im in Scotland, is everywhere else the same or is it just I notice it more because we have fewer training organisations?

:ok:

BristolScout
16th Jul 2008, 10:24
In my experience it tends to be the late teens, aiming for a career in aviation and then a big gap to the middle-aged who have the disposable income to afford the expense. There are, of course, exceptions and there's an encouraging trend for younger students in the more affordable microlight world.

AJ1990
16th Jul 2008, 20:56
Well I'm 17 and have just begun my PPL at Stapleford. From what I've seen I'm possibly the youngest there, the vast majority of other students I've seen have been much older than myself.