PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting question

mierda
11th Jul 2008, 16:57
Hi,

A couple of months ago I started sending my CV to employers and it just seems that it takes forever to get an answer.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me from previous experience, on average how long does it take from sending a CV to getting an Interview?

I have been instructing for over a year, (night, IMC MEP) I have never done a type rating, but I have nearly 1000 hours TT, and over a hundred on twins.

Thanks

spacecadet
11th Jul 2008, 17:27
I am not sure what the correct reply would be for you, a letter back from them saying that they have recieved your cv wouldn't hurt, but some people will say that they recieve so many cv's they can't respond to everyone, but all I can say is just keep trying.

A lot of positions state their minimums & unfortunately a majority require persons already typed with some hours on type. Most positions require a minimum of 1,000 hours so at least you have that.

Once you get a foot in the door, this game becomes a whole lot easier.

Good luck!

SNS3Guppy
11th Jul 2008, 18:04
I can't give you a definitive answer, but I have a ridiculous amount of experience not hearing back from employers, and I've worked a lot of short term, temporary, or seasonal jobs over the years...which means I've applied to a lot of companies over the years.

I've had employers that called me years later, some months later, and in most cases, if I didn't hear within a few days or a couple of weeks, I wasn't going to hear from them at all.

Not long ago I heard from an employer after seven years, and I got hired by one employer after pursuing them for ten years.

I don't consider an employer to be any kind of possibility or option until at least the full application has been filled out. If they've just got my resume, then it's nothing more than a polite tap on the door. Nobody's answered, and I can't expect them to. If an application has been completed, then it's time to pursue the matter. Otherwise, continue to update your resume every few months, but be aware that your resume is probably somewhere in a pile of hundreds, or thousands of others.

I once got a job from an employer that had a big stack of resumes simply by meeting the employer. I had sent resumes with no response. I travelled to the city where the employer was located, and called the Chief Pilot. I asked him if I could meet with him, and he told me he wasn't hiring. I told him I didn't want the job, but that I was in the area and wondered if I might stop by and shake his hand. He said sure, and once there he invited me in for a chat. After a while he asked if I had a resume. I told him I did, down in the car. I retrieved it, and left his office shortly thereafter with a job.

Don't be discouraged. I've sent out a thousand resumes to get a job when times have been tough, and I've not been slow to take a job I didn't love, rather than holdin gout for the dream job. Take what you can find, apply to as many employers as you can, and keep updating your applications. Show them you're persistent and interested. Where you're able, visiting them in person is usually best. Don't marry yourself to one employer; keep your options open, contact as many as you possibly can. Attend a job fair, hand out resumes and make eye contact with recruiters. Anywhere you can fill out the full application, do so.

Good luck.

Mercenary Pilot
11th Jul 2008, 18:11
A couple of months ago I started sending my CV to employers and it just seems that it takes forever to get an answer.Unless they are advertising the position, don't expect an answer. Even if they are, most operators have a stipulation that they will only contact short-listed candidates.

Totally agree with SNS3Guppy. My advice would be to keep sending out the CV's but in the mean time don't sit around waiting for a call. Keep looking to improve on your CV, move up the instructing ladder or start contacting air-taxi firms. With 1000TT and 100 ME you have got enough experience (insurance purposes) for single pilot air-taxi/survey work etc.

MIKECR
11th Jul 2008, 18:36
mierda,

Most wont reply. Many work on the principal that you've sent them unsolicited mail so why should they bother replying. If you dig deep enough however and get a Chief pilots email address or personal contact then occasionaly they may reply to you. If you happen to send an email or hard copy cv and letter to "whom it may concern" etc then you difinately wont hear back. Try and personalise every application to the desired recipient/operator. The likes of ppjn and IPA have very good info for contacts etc. And it'll be the same old story - the ones you want to hear back from, you wont, and the ones you least expect to even remotely entertain you will be the one that replies! I badgered my local operator for over a year using various methods - online application, email, hard copy cv and letter, you name it I tried it! Short of camping outside the Chief Pilots office, I had tried everything. Eventually however, after many attempts low and behold I got an interview. Im now sitting patiently swimming in their hold pool. Time, patience, determination and it will pay off.

TurboJ
12th Jul 2008, 16:42
Target your CV to people you want to work for. By all means the big airlines if thats what you want. If not, look at some of the turboprop operators to get multi engine, multi crew time.

Networking and finding someone who can recommend you, will also get your CV to the top of the pile. Remember, you are one of thousands and you need to find ways of getting noticed. Recommendations from within carry more success than cold calling with your CV.

Its tough, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Good luck

TJ

IrishJetdriver
12th Jul 2008, 22:12
Don't expect replies. The majority won't as they don't need to. If they're interested then you'll hear from them. Depressing and rude ? Sure is.

However I would say that persistence is key. I ended up on 1st name terms with head of personnel at Flybe and phoned him literally every week. I sent copies of all exam passes and CV to every top bod I could find in Flybe and then I went down to Exeter on the off chance to say I was passing and thought I'd say hello. (I lived in Essex so you can imagine it was one hell of a passing by).

However (this was in 2000) I did get an interview eventually and even more eventually got a sim ride and ended up going direct entry on to the 146.

Keep at it and try and think of something to make you stand out. keep your CV down to 1 page only and only the essential stuff as personnel staff don't bother with epic masterpieces. you can always fill them in later on if you get anywhere.

Good luck and don't let the b'''''''s grind you down.

mierda
13th Jul 2008, 20:42
Well, thanks for all your replies!
I guess I will have to be more patient, anyway If I do get that magical email or phone call, I will let you all know.

Thanks again

amerioca
15th Jul 2008, 07:37
1.) Try to find out the name of the chief pilot/flight ops mgr/ops mgr or else. In the worse case call them and ask.

2.) Once you have the name, google it. Find out about the guy whatever you can. Who knows, you may have lived right next to each other, your granies have the same tatoo or whatever makes up for an opening line.

3.) If you do not hear from them after 2 weeks, don't bother, in most cases takes 4 - 6 weeks only to answer if you are shortlisted. If not do not expect any answer.

4.) If you do not hear from them after 8 weeks, follow up every 4 months

5.) Put your resume with as much recruiters as possible (most of them are better off mediating au pairs, but there is quite a few good ones on the market)

6.) Check job sites (aviationjobsearch, flightglobal etc.) every other day.

7.) Just send out your CV to just about any airline you can think of and have jobs for which you are qualified.

Play the mass game, as they do the very same. It always works, just a question of time.

potkettleblack
15th Jul 2008, 07:57
As stated above network network and do more networking. Most jobs go unadvertised and you never hear about them unless you are in the right place at the right time. You need to get yourself into a local club where a chief pilot is likely to do his drinking. Failing that get the jungle drums going around the airfield where you are based. Find a small jet or Kingair operator and offer to fly as safety pilot to get some experience of airways flying. Do the radios for them and see if you can't swing some work at a later date. For these small operators a lot of it is about personality and making sure your going to be a good fit in the company. You have over a 1000 hours total time so would be ideal for single pilot IFR stuff and I would be focussed on that. Flybe would be the other obvious target. I am sure you have already completed their online application. Do a search on pprune for whoever their HR or chief pilot is and follow up the application with an email stating how you are immediately available for work.

pablo2973
15th Jul 2008, 10:23
Hi , first of all , I hate your nick , cause I speak spanish as well , you could have been more original .....
its true ,you have more experience that average but no hours on turboprop ,or type rating in any airplane ....
Look the "game " its not sent CV´s and wait ,wait and wait :ugh:.... eventhough they dont tell you ,they want you to phone them , make sure they received your CV and keep communication afterwards.
If you want to work almost straight away , pack you stuff and with your experience go to AFRICA , by the way how is your english ...? good enough for an interview ......
Good luck