PDA

View Full Version : flying in montreal - november

mech500
11th Jul 2008, 10:08
Thinking of doing some hours building ... can anyone comment on what the weather is like in november?

gfunc
11th Jul 2008, 12:08
I don't live in lovely Montreal, I'm about 3.5 hour south in Albany, NY - but I work in weather. Oct/Nov is a transition seaon from Autumn to Winter and there can be a large number of depressions in the region. Since the temperature is around the freezing mark there can be a whole mix of precip types (freezing rain, snow, sleet or rain), so you have to take notice of what is going on.

That said there are often great weather for flying in Nov with crisp clear conditions. I'm so looking forward to these days since it's currently stinking hot and humid.

Here's the climate normals for nov in Montreal (Trudeau Intl) from environment Canada: Canadian Climate Normals 1971-2000 (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=montreal&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=5415&&autofwd=0&START=11&END=11&VIEWBUTTON=View&b_templatePrint=true)

(if it doesn't work go to: Canadian Climate Normals 1971-2000 (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/index_e.html) and enter Montreal in the search)

Cheers,

Gareth.
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/_templateXML/formats/icons/uparrow.gif (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=montreal&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=5415&&autofwd=0&START=11&END=11&VIEWBUTTON=View&b_templatePrint=true#msccontent)

mech500
11th Jul 2008, 20:00
Thanks for the advise Gareth, i think it would be better postponing the trip to say mid-november to maximise the flight hours?

do flying clubs/schools even operate at say -15C (or colder)? ive never flown over snow before, it this generally considered difficult for a low hours pilot? I just have visions of the control surfaces on my cessna icing up - so just after some reassurance?

gfunc
11th Jul 2008, 23:14
I'm not sure that anyone can guarantee the weather will be any better/worse towards the end of nov as there are storms throughout the winter season. In Albany we tend to get the largest amounts of snow in Jan and Feb in installments of feet at a time. It really is dictated by the upper level jet stream and its location at the time. The pattern tends to be fairly changeable, so you'll be unlucky to be weathered in for days at a time (like the UK).

Clubs around here operate all winter and preheat the engines in the hangar for a few hours before setting out. Even though its a bit colder up there the Candians are a hardy bunch and are used to dealing with it. When I was in Ottawa in Feb two years ago the temperature was about -30C and the windchill was -40 (where Celcius and Fahrenheit meet!) and there were still C172s and DA40 buzzing around.

With regard to icing up, this is only really going to happen if the freezing level is at or above ground level. If it's freezing all the way up it's harder to accumulate ice. If you stay away from visible moisture you shouldn't have any worries. A local instructor can take you through this.

Flying over snow is no problem as long as you bring the sunglasses and remember the lakes on your map maight not be visible. I prefer the winter in upstate NY as you can clearly see the roads and town which can be well hidden by the gazillions of trees around here during summer.

Although Montreal is a fantastic city, I'm told the scenery is a bit dull (flat farmland) if you are only interested in hours have you considered the Northeastern US? It's a bit cheaper and there are some pretty nice things to see and none of that silly language. The disadvantage is deaingl with the 'lovely' US immigration.

Cheers,

Gareth.