PDA

View Full Version : Pilots with a famaly!!!

kurt0375
11th Jul 2008, 09:43
How easy is it for a pilot to have a family? are you away from home for long pariods of time? or does it depend what routs you fly?

cirruscrystal
11th Jul 2008, 10:54
Pilots and families - I would consider first of all the financial carnage that can be caused with flight training, as this can put the most pressure on families rather than the possible inconvienience of being away from home?

kurt0375
11th Jul 2008, 15:13
Would only consider starting a family after i have completed my ATPL.

G-STAW
11th Jul 2008, 17:08
i agree with the above post,not so long ago being an airline pilot had the highest divorce rate amongst professionals......

speaks for itself really.....

G-STAW

Kempus
11th Jul 2008, 21:05
No probs at all! I either get to wake up and spend some time with my daughter then go to work or go well before she's up then see her when I get home in the afternoon!

If you can maintian a good balance between flying and family it works out great! It does depend on who you work for tho and you've gotta decide if its be away, constantly tired get divorced 3 times longhaul job or shorthaul have a family job!

Just remeber the glamour is long gone!

Good luck!

cirruscrystal
11th Jul 2008, 21:34
Only flying work i have done is shorthaul local charter based stuff which is not alot different to a normal day job.

I am still dealing with financial legacy of training expenses and it is very testing on the marriage at times, quite often brought up in financial based tiffs.

I think the thing to bare in mind now and foreseeable future is going through all of the training and then finding you have no job at the end of it. This is what you must realise is the scenario, if you are very lucky you might get something but as posted previously, 6500 applicants for every pilot job in UK - thats the ugly truth of it!

Vone Rotate
11th Jul 2008, 22:04
6500 applying for every single piloting job hey......You learn something new every day!!

no sponsor
11th Jul 2008, 22:37
I have a young family, and I commute to work, being away for anything up to 7 days at a time (my base is a long way from home), with 2-3 days off at most in between. It is not a life I would recommend. Airlines with unstable rosters, and non-existent rostering guidelines (i.e. mine) can make it very difficult to plan ahead. Added to the expense of commuting (petrol and accommodation) can make things difficult on a f/o salary.