PDA

View Full Version : Where can I fly once completing PPL(H)?

pplh
10th Jul 2008, 22:03
Hi there,

Been a member here for a while just so I can read around and you guys have been a real help in getting me started on my training in a R22 here in the UK.
This has probably been answered somewhere but I've been scanning the web for a bit and can't really find a clear answer.

Once I've completed my flight training (which is with a CAA approved school, if that helps...) where in the world would I be able to fly? I'm aware of all these different organizations such as the CAA, JAA, FAA but aren't really sure of their meanings etc...

Thanks in advance

pplh

BHenderson
11th Jul 2008, 06:07
The UK is a full member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Others countries (known as states) who are also signed up to ICAO will recognize your licence. This includes all the countries you'd ever want to visit. Put simply, you can fly a British aircraft in those countries. If you wish to fly a local aircraft you need to see the local CAA for the requirements which normally include a paperwork exercise and a quick flight.

Pandalet
11th Jul 2008, 08:07
Continuing from what BHenderson said, my experience of flying over foreign shores on a (UK) PPL has been you need to do an air law exam and pass a flight test, plus the usual filling in of forms and paying some money.

Be warned that before our beloved campaign against aviation will confirm to anyone else that you actually have a license (which is usually a necessary part of getting the validation), you need to grease their palm with silver (around £40 at last time I did it), and I suggest you do this at least a month before you're likely to need them to respond to faxes.

Some countries have more complicated hoops to jump through, but most are air law + flight test. If you're planning to fly overseas, I'd suggest firstly talking to someone who has flown where you want to fly, then making sure you start the process well in advance; it's not difficult, but it can take some time.

pplh
11th Jul 2008, 08:19
OK thanks BHenderson and Pandalet, thats made things clearer!