PDA

View Full Version : AAC Apache/2Para Friendly Fire Incident

Razor61
10th Jul 2008, 18:09
Reports in from BBC News of an Apache involved in a blue on blue.

BBC NEWS | UK | Nine injured in 'friendly fire' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7500705.stm)

AHQHI656SQN
10th Jul 2008, 23:05
On this occasion, I think rumours should be left aside. When the facts are out we can all talk.
I know one thing, the crew will be gutted. They must however continue with the good work. For the 2 Para wounded, I wish them a speedy recovery.

Max Shutterspeed
10th Jul 2008, 23:35
A terrible thing to have to live with. They had a split second to decide what others will take many months to consider.
Good luck to all concerned, both crew and injured.

MS

Airborne Aircrew
11th Jul 2008, 07:00
Without disrespect to the "aggressors" in this incident and knowing full well that blue on blue incidents are never intentional and the people involved are rarely simply sloppy I think you should all be very aware of the vehement slagging many of you have given in other blue on blue incidents where US pilots are involved before you start using statements such as "split second", "crew will be gutted" etc.

Combat sortie for combat sortie you'll probably find that the Brits are now in a statistical dead heat, (no pun intended), with the US in terms of these sad mistakes. But even if I'm wrong - my point remains valid.

Max Shutterspeed
11th Jul 2008, 07:17
Without disrespect to the "aggressors" in this incident and knowing full well that blue on blue incidents are never intentional and the people involved are rarely simply sloppy I think you should all be very aware of the vehement slagging many of you have given in other blue on blue incidents where US pilots are involved before you start using statements such as "split second", "crew will be gutted" etc.

A valid point and if you look at my posting history, it's something I'd never do, regardless of the nationality of the "agressor". As you say, it's never done intenilnally and to have to live with the mistake for the rest of your life must be very tough. As my original post said, they had a split second to decide what others deliberaate over for many months.

MS

Airborne Aircrew
11th Jul 2008, 07:53
Max:

My intent was not to impugn anyone who had already posted but rather to remind those that had been so hard on US crews in the past that they should remember what they had said previously before demonstrating their clear double standards... Unfortunately, with only two posts containing "suitable quotes", I was forced to appear to be critical of yourself and AHQH.

AHQHI656SQN
11th Jul 2008, 17:47
AA, your point is well made. The UK AH64 pilots have worked hard in Helmand to ensure the ground troops get the cover they require. That good work has lead to a very good reputation. I'll now tell a joke.

There was a man stood on a bridge, looking into the river below, he was contemplating jumping in and committing suicide. A good Samaritan walked to the man and asked “what is troubling you my friend?”
“I cannot say” replied the near suicidal man. “My name is Leonardo, and I have built a thousand houses, do they call me Leonardo the house builder? No!” I have designed and built a hundred bridges, including this one, do they call me Leonardo the bridge builder? No!”
“I sh@g one sheep.”

I hope that this incident doesn't have the same impact on the reputaion of the UK AH64 pilots.

Airborne Aircrew
12th Jul 2008, 06:26
I hope that this incident doesn't have the same impact on the reputaion of the UK AH64 pilots.

I couldn't agree more...

Mister-T
12th Jul 2008, 06:41
Nicely put Tom.

Best wishes to all involved.

Faithless
12th Jul 2008, 06:41
:D:D:D:D

I applaude you all guys....Lets wait until the official report is out before we don our Barrack room Lawyer outfits.

As previously said these guys have been faultless so far. Put yourself in their shoes, not the best way to be feeling right now

God speed to those injured.

MaroonMan4
12th Jul 2008, 07:08
As someone that has been 'fired into' a pick up by UK AH drivers with their 30mm extremely close, but also extremely effective at protecting my butt, I would without a shadow of a doubt allow them to provide such a 'safe' corridor again.

I trust them as individuals and a capability (and it is very rarely that you will hear me say the word 'capability' and teeney weenies in the same sentence!).

However, to the 2 Para lads - get well soon and best wishes.

minigundiplomat
12th Jul 2008, 09:25
Bst of luck to all involved in the incident.

Al R
12th Jul 2008, 10:14
In the 4 weeks following D Day, the Allies lost 10,000 men due to BoB. Working in such confusing terrain out there as they are, and in such close proximity to the enemy (as an aggressive 2 Para will be), lets just be thankful and amazed that these days, incidents like this are so rare. If lessons are to be had, good - but lets put this in perspective for the moment.

All the best to those who got clobbered, and to the AAC guys doing such a great job too.