PDA

View Full Version : avgas and avtur excise duty

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
9th Jul 2008, 06:10
HM Revenue & Customs (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_ConsultationDocuments&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_028437)

looks like tax changes have been put off until 1st November 2009 now?

unless it is clearly too early in the morning, and I need coffee to think straight.

moggiee
9th Jul 2008, 12:27
Looks that way.

Basically, they are saying that they hadn't thought it through properly and need to go away and do some homework.

Fuji Abound
9th Jul 2008, 12:50
There is a surprise.

Can some one please tell me why this seems to be the case with so many scenarios?

I was one of the ones who wrote. It was immediately apparent to me that the proposals were unworkable. For example, how can you differentiate which part of the fuel in the wing of a DA42 is going to be used for commercial training, business travel with the aircraft on hire, or pleasure? You would have recieved a similiar reaction if you had consulted with almost anyone involved with the business.

In the same way the proposals with regard to the changes in CGT were criticised on technical grounds from the moment they were released - so why release something that is clearly unworkable.

Sould we have a Government, any Government, that appears to be incapable of thinking anything through - I thought that is what we paid them to do?

I could go on with a very long list.

These are not matters of political expedience or policy to suite the politics of the moment, it is far more fundamental, they are schemes that fail because they simply cant work.

Have our civil servants become so useless or so unwilling to consultant?

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
5th May 2009, 11:50
Hello all

Does anyone know what the latest state of play is regarding excise duty on avtur?

Aerials
1st Jan 2010, 09:19
....on road tax!

bookworm
1st Jan 2010, 09:31
I'd like to see AVGAS and AVTUR duty scrapped on the basis the money this government has raised doesn't appear to be re-invested into developing and providing services in aviation infrastructure for the general public - specifically free landing/approach fees, reduced CAA fees, and the presence of a widespread Class-E airspace system to provide separation to light aircraft in IMC.

Sure. Which hospitals should be closed to fund this unnecessary air traffic service and to subsidise your hobby?

IO540
1st Jan 2010, 10:10
I'd like to see AVGAS and AVTUR duty scrapped on the basis the money this government has raised doesn't appear to be re-invested into developing and providing services in aviation infrastructure for the general public - specifically free landing/approach fees, reduced CAA fees, and the presence of a widespread Class-E airspace system to provide separation to light aircraft in IMC.This will never happen in the UK, which is why it is virtually impossible for any GA airfield to make ends meet while doing any reasonable level of maintenance. Hence we get "places" like Elstree.

It will also ensure that GPS approaches will be "for ever" irrelevant in the UK because they need full ATC, and the only way to get around full ATC would be to contract with a nearby radar (or perhaps procedural) unit to provide the approach procedure service (which is how it works in the USA) and that - privatised - unit's billing for that service will always be prohibitive... Biggin Hill probably pays best part of £100k p.a. to Thames Radar but they have enough high-end traffic there.

Quite a problem! And with powerful interests wanting to keep things the way they are. Safety doesn't come into it at all, of course.

IO540
1st Jan 2010, 11:35
The CAA wanting to support the organisations who support it by paying it massive licensing fees.

Privatised ATC having to invoice "somebody" for everything.

Job demarcation within ATC.

Re your Class E comment, airspace sovereignity is the stumbling block to any major European airspace harmonisation. (Yes I know the US system works a lot better).

That's a start, anyway :)

However, one sometimes wonders whether the status quo is actually better, because sometimes changes are done without much thought for GA. Take PRNAV for example - a totally poorly thought through idea which would push the vast majority of GA out of IFR airspace should it be introduced in significant enroute airspace.

WorkingHard
1st Jan 2010, 11:40
Bookworm why do you perpetuate the complete myth tha GA is an unnecessary hobby? Their are huge numbers of pilots, movements and aircraft in the GA category that are involved in anything but a hobby. Do please refrain from such idiotic statements, there's a good fellow.

bookworm
1st Jan 2010, 13:29
Bookworm why do you perpetuate the complete myth tha GA is an unnecessary hobby? Their are huge numbers of pilots, movements and aircraft in the GA category that are involved in anything but a hobby.

I didn't suggest that it was an "unnecessary hobby", merely that it was a hobby for fuzzy6988. If that's not the case, I apologise and rephrase my question as:

"Which hospitals should be closed to fund this unnecessary air traffic service and to subsidise your business? " ;)

flyems
4th Jan 2010, 10:20
I refuse to keep on apologising for my hobby and what it costs me, I dislike the money that flows from my back pocket to benefits, but I am told that it's my punishment for being successful!! I also sign a cheque for HMRC from my company on a monthly basis which irks me considering the inability of the powers that be to spend it responsibly...

My comments in a previous posting remain topical....

It gets me going when some suggest that all I am doing in this country is to pillage and rob the economy and those people that do not partake of one of my passions…

‘Millionaire pilots’ invariably contribute the following items to keep this economy afloat, including but not limited to:

1. PAYE in HUGE chunks, because they are either employed, or employers,
2. Tax on fuel for their vehicle(s),
3. Road tax for their vehicle(s),
4. Create employment in aviation,
5. Council tax in HUGE chunks for their residences, because I cannot imagine many of them, if any, in benefit housing,
6. Huge chunks of VAT for equipment, training, etc, etc,
7. Taxes on aviation fuel.

Taxes should not be punitive, should not be tweaked and adjusted to reflect my income/asset base/activities etc, it should be levied equally to those that partake, or could potentially partake of the benefits provided by those taxes.

Alternately people with other expensive hobbies, i.e. photography, parenthood, car racing, etc etc should be subjected to the same persecution....