PDA

View Full Version : Best way to revise for JAA-PPL

CaptainTC
8th Jul 2008, 22:08
Hi, can anyone recommend the best software or books that i can use to revise for the JAA-PPL tests? I have the 7 Trevor Thomm books. I have seen the Dauntless software but dont know if it is worth speding money on. Dauntless Aviation (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/)

Nashers
8th Jul 2008, 22:23
dont waste money on software.

best way to revise for the ppl ground exams is read the books and then do questions from the ppl confuser.

there is alot of info on here already about this so i suggest you do a search on pprune.

CaptainTC
8th Jul 2008, 22:33
OK thanks for the info

luke10689
10th Jul 2008, 03:19
id definately agree with the above! Understand the content in the books and use the Confuser! Thats all i used for PPL and it got me through no problems

Willows
10th Jul 2008, 17:06
I've tried the OAT software and to be honest, I think you're better sticking to the Trevor Thom books and confuser, as already mentioned.

They are so well written, clear, concise and have a lot of info.

mech500
12th Jul 2008, 13:40
to be honest i didnt even read the text books - i learnt the subjects from the confuser alone!!

im not telling you to do the same but i found that the explainations in the back of the confuser to be very helpful. I did all the subjects in about 2-3 weeks.

Whirlygig
12th Jul 2008, 13:56
Oh dear - I hope you're not proud of that 'cos I'm worried I might be sharing airspace with someone who just learned answers to questions.

I hope your flying instructor teaches you an awful lot then.

If anyone doing a PPL thinks that the PPL Confuser is sufficient then a) you will seriously struggle with ATPL and b) what about that vital piece of information that didn't come up in the exam.

Cheers

Whirls

mech500
13th Jul 2008, 08:38
i didnt say i just ''learnt answers to the questions''!! That would be dangerous and plain stupid.

Infact I used the explainations in the back of the confuser to make sure i fully understood the concepts being examined. I then refered to the text book and my instructor as required for additional reference - in this way i was able to understand all i needed to be safe. This learning continued after i had passed all the exams. I also made sure i undetstood the workings of all the instuments etc - its easier to do this by asking questions then by reading text books.

I bet i retained more of the infomation then students who spent ages reading thro' masses of texts on the particulars of the chicago conventon (lol!). I mean who cares what say Annex 18 is all about and what the spacing between runway lights on a CAT1 is - i'll have to bear that in mind next time im designing an airfield. Oh and i must remember the required number of fire extinguishers on a plane with 201 seats.

I've currently done 7 of the ATPL modules (distance learning) - and im finding them a peice of cake to be honest compared to a degree in aerospace engineering - they're only set at GCSE level!!

I know students who spend ages studying and 2 months after the exam they wont be able to answer a single question on say radio nav! hpw safe are these guys in the sky then?

Whirlygig
13th Jul 2008, 09:53
Well, that's excellent!! :ok: So, you spotted the half dozen or so errors in The Confuser then? :}

Cheers

Whirls

sicky
18th Jul 2008, 16:37
How long does it usually take people ot study for the PPl theory (along side a job)?