PDA

View Full Version : MCC course in England

BoeingOnFinal
8th Jul 2008, 12:32
Hello,

I am soon to finish my CPL/IR/ME training, and need a MCC course to be started in 3-4 weeks. My current recommendations given by people around me tells me to skip the MCC course in Norway, as the only one provided costs £4750 without accomodation and is done in a B200 sim. I too am thinking there are better options, like England.

I've been looking at schools like Oxford Aviation and European, and a big selling point is that they are close to a Ryanair destination (Stansted), from which the departure is taking place at Torp.

But can anyone recommend any other schools which might be even closer to Stansted, or even Birmingham?

They both use a jet simulator as part of the course training, and if this is relevant experience is discussed widely. Are these hours "loggable" as synthetic training, and can be put on a resumè as valid multi-engine jet experience?

Are there any considerations to be made taking such a course in England, when I have completed all of my modular training in Norway? I have JAR-FCL certificates, so I'm thinking there are none, but I'd like to be crystal clear on this particular point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please do come with suggestions on both travel and great schools! :)

MIKECR
8th Jul 2008, 12:44
A lot operators just see an MCC as a 'tick in the box'. You could get it done for less than 2k on a TP sim, plenty places to choose from(Wolverhampton Fight Centre £1995, as cheap as it gets). If you've got cash to flash then im sure a shot of a jet sim somewhere would be fun. Whether it boosts your CV or not is debatable. Your there to learn MCC and CRM, its not a Type Rating.

AceD3
8th Jul 2008, 14:45
London Met Uni also do a MCC for around £1995

pilot666
8th Jul 2008, 14:55
Hi,

I've just completed an MCC at European Aviation(EAAC) at Bournemouth. I can totally recommend them, they are in fact a TRTO. The instructors are good and all training is carried out on a B737-200 full motion sim. This experience I feel will be worth its weight in gold when it comes to a sim. assessment. The course price was £2399, three days ground school and five days in the sim.

BoeingOnFinal
13th Jul 2008, 08:56
Thank you for your responses. I've been in contact with European, and they seem very helpful. Although accomodation can be difficult, and transportation.

Oxford is not responding, even though I sent a mail on two different adresses. Any experience with them?

Oxford would be the easier choice considering they offer accomodation at the school, and they are closer to Stansted.

Any other suggestions? How is London Met University on accomodation? Any experiences.

Again, thanks a lot for all your help!

dr boeing
13th Jul 2008, 11:53
Hi guys.

Crmeurope www.crmeurope.com (http://www.crmeurope.com/) are offering a deal, they are doing an MCC plus 2 hours each student, jet transition, i.e. 2hours handling and 2 hours non handling with your sim partner.

The setup is a glass flight deck i.e. EIFIS etc and is state of the art. Just seems a little extra apart from the MCC to learn the tricks of jet handling and operating. Worth a look for sure.

Accommodation is very local and good surroundings

gmac1977
13th Jul 2008, 17:27
I'd recommend European aviation MCC all day long! Top bunch of people

I finished my MCC course a week ago and found it to be the most rewarding £2400 i've spent so far during my aviation training. They went well beyond what was expected.

Tony and Giles are legends!

If you need accommodation near bournemouth airport, PM me and i can give you a few affordable options that are within 5 mins drive from the airport.

:ok:

RB311
13th Jul 2008, 17:39
I personally recommend the Oxford MCC course. A modular student, me, who had no other experience of OAT, found this course extremely good. Using full motion 737 classic generic sims is great fun and the course is designed to be relevant to your future daily life in the RHS, which it is.. I speak now from personal experience.

Doing it as cheaply as possible is one way of looking at it, but if you spend a marginally larger amount (in the grand scheme of things) you will get a lot more out of it and will take the benefit of that on to your first job.

Rb311

porridge
14th Jul 2008, 05:35
It would be a good idea and well worth the money to visit the aforementioned establishments and look at what they are offering as well as the equipment. Ideally they will offer a hands on experience too so one can compare the various types of sim being used for the course.
I recommend to a lot of people both on these forums as well as friends & family to do this for all types of training. Also you will find that sometimes you may be able to get a better deal when you visit in person than the companies are prepared to offer on their public persona. If the school is reluctant to let you do this, then they may have something to hide. After all would you buy a car without test driving it and also getting a feel for the dealership who will be responsible for its maintenance?
Caveat Emptor - literally "let the buyer beware" as the well-used, centuries old, quote advises!

FougaMagister
14th Jul 2008, 11:56
... except the original poster is from Norway and coming all the way just to visit a number of FTOs for what is a 2-week course implies a lot of extra money on top of the course quote. For somebody who is already living in Britain though, I couldn't agree more.

BoeingOnFinal - Stapleford isn't too far from STN and they do MCC courses Stapleford Flight Centre - Commercial Flight Training - Type Ratings and Multi-Crew Co-operation Courses (http://www.flysfc.com/typeratingsmcccommercial.html). Oxford's MCC course is very good. An added plus is that they have two 737-400 full-motion FNPT IIs, so there is usually good availability, and they could cover if one sim goes unserviceable Oxford Aviation Academy (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/air_mcc.htm). I recall paying 200 pounds for 8 days accommodation on site inc full board.

Since you mentioned the Midlands, Atlantic Flight Training at Coventry do MCC on a CRJ-200 FNPT II, the quote is very similar to Oxford's http://www.flyaft.com/pdf/course/MCC%20Course.pdf. One course starting every two weeks.

The Flight Centre at Wolverhampton/Halfpenny Green do MCC on a tuboprop FNPT II Pricing | The Flight Centre at Halfpenny Green (http://www.hgfc.co.uk/downloads/).

Cheers :cool:

BoeingOnFinal
14th Jul 2008, 19:48
Thank you all very much.

I've sent two mails to Oxford aviation, and no answer so far in one week. So that's out of the question for me.

CRM Europe answered very quickly, and sounds very nice. Any experiences, especially with instructor experiences?

European is the most recommended MCC course so far, and I have gotten in contact with them as well.

RB311
14th Jul 2008, 22:09
I'm no salesman for OAt, but have you tried the phone? Im an old fashioned kinda guy, and find you can always tell more from an organization that way...
Their email might be down, faulty, innundated...

If you speak to someone, you can get a more rounded opinion and tell a lot more about them.

dr boeing
16th Jul 2008, 10:43
Hi Boeing on final.

In a nutshell, all are experienced serving and retired Airline TRE etc.

They want you to come out the best and offer over and above the standard course. Not just a tick in the box but something usefull.

Regards

BoeingOnFinal
16th Jul 2008, 14:00
Thanks, and thank you Dr Boeing for the PM i recieved. I'll post some decision results when I come to one. :)

clanger32
16th Jul 2008, 20:07
BOF,
Not trying to defend OAA in any shape or form, but just in case - are you using a gmail account to email them? If so, for some bizarre reason their email system cannot handle talking to gmail and so you won't ever get a reply. I can't work out why they can't sort this out, as after all Gmail is one of the larger free email systems, but there you go.

If you are affected by this, then you could try emailing from another account if you have one, or phoning them. They'd definitely be worth talking to...

BoeingOnFinal
17th Jul 2008, 10:01
Clanger, I am not using G-mail, but Hotmail.

I am currently also looking at Scandinavian Aviation Academy. They are expensive, but the chances of getting an interview for the cadet programme at Ryanair might be worth it. Any thoughts?

rogerg
17th Jul 2008, 15:20
If you email [email protected] you will get through. He awaits your call.

woofly31
17th Jul 2008, 16:08
I also did my MCC with EAAC at Bournemouth. At the Time using the Tristar,with a quick look at the 737. The Instructors are very good as was the Course itself. Well worth a look.:ok: