PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Information?

NUFC1892
8th Jul 2008, 09:05
As I come near to the end of my time in the Mob (32 years done, 2 to do till I retire) I have become a little reflective of what I have actually achieved during my 17 postings, half a dozen OOAs (been lucky there) and countless shorter dets. As part of this reflection I thought it would be nice to get copies of the citations for the CinC’s Commendations and MSM that I have been fortunate enough to receive.:O

I thought that this would be a simple matter of putting through a Freedom of Information (DPA98) Subject Access Request Form and then waiting a few weeks before basking in the warm glow of hyperbole, alas that is not the case. Apparently, in order to protect the integrity of the honours system citations for Meritorious Lists are never released; additionally no citation was ever raised for my MSM:ugh:. So, my questions to the educated reader are:

1. Has anyone out there ever been able to get hold of a copy of the citation for any award they have received?

2. Does anyone know how personnel were actually selected for the MSM (NYHL 05). It beggars belief that a board could actually read through the profiles for everyone who met the criteria in any given year.

And yes I know it’s vanity wanting to know what has been written about me - it’s what age and reflection does to a man!!:\

4mastacker
8th Jul 2008, 12:08
NUFC1892

My understanding was that an individual was awarded the MSM on their track record based on previous ACRs/OOA reports and covered their contribution to the wider aspects of service life in addition to their professional duties It was not based on a particular recommendation by a single individual. My reason for saying that is one of my colleagues was awarded the MSM and our then OC Supply tried to big himself up by intimating that it was he (the Jellyfish) who had nominated my colleague. As for who was considered for the award, I believe it was based on holding a particular rank (e.g. FS/WO) and being a 'certain' age so the pool of candidates was relatively small and candidates were only considered once--although I do expect to be corrected.

Wader2
8th Jul 2008, 13:04
"For Service Personnel to receive an MSM, an individual must have performed good, faithful, valuable and meritorious service, with conduct judged to be irreproachable."

a candidate must be nominated by their commanding officer

only the most worthy and deserving candidates are nominated. Candidates’ service and conduct must have been of the highest order throughout their career, acting as an example to others and reflecting credit on themselves and their Service.

http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil.uk/DefenceIntranet/Library/CivilianAndJointService/BrowseDocumentCategories/Personnel/HonoursAndAwards/Jsp761HonoursAndAwardsInTheArmedForcesForEmployee.htm

MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL

There are 201 medals available for award to Regular Forces’ non-commissioned candidates in each calendar year in the following ratios: Naval Service (Royal Navy, Royal Marines, QARNNS) 52, Army 89, and RAF 60.

0606.0601.The prestige of this medal merits personal notification to recipients that they have been selected to receive the medal. Commanding officers of Army and RAF personnel will be directed by the chain of command to notify recipients. Royal Navy and Royal Marine recipients will be notified by a personal letter from the Naval Secretary which commanding officers will be invited to hand to the recipient.

0615.0610.Personnel data processed for conferring by the Crown of any honour or dignity (ie. the grant of a State award) need not be disclosed. It is given a specific exemption at Schedule 7 paragraph 3 of the Data Protection Act (DPA). Furthermore the Freedom Of Information (FOI) Act does not apply as recommendations are classified as ‘Personal Data’.

0616.0611.The recipient of any honour may request sight of the full recommendation, references, and any other documentation relating to the issue of the award. Such requests for personal data made by the data subjects may explicitly cite the DPA, or it may be implicit in what they are requesting. In either case, the request should be considered under the DPA. Such requests can be refused, citing the exemption in Schedule 7 paragraph 3, namely ‘Personal data processed for the purposes of the conferring by the Crown of any honour or dignity.’ Likewise, a request from anyone who has been considered for an honour which was not awarded (or not considered for an honour at all) may be refused under the same exemption.

PS

The correct papa number is RED. If the link does not work then search for MSM on the intranet.