PDA

View Full Version : Caring RAF Medical Branch

Tiger_mate
7th Jul 2008, 14:47
After 14 days notice of posting that includes being overseas for much of the coming months, the RAF Medical Centre states: "Your family are no longer entitled to medical cover, they are to move to an NHS Doctor". My family have been with the same medical centre for 12 years whilst I have moved around unaccompanied. 14 days notice is hardly long enough to sell up and move although in fairness, I have no intention of doing that.

For sure it is not the same Air Force that I joined, and clearly family support is right next to none existant from the establishment. I do have to publicly thank many of my peers though for offers of support to the family whilst I am away, so the core ethos of service personnel remains.

I appreciate that many here will consider moving the family to a civilian GP an overdue move regardless, but the principle remains, and the Service Medical branch sucks.

:mad: :mad:

minigundiplomat
7th Jul 2008, 16:24
To be fair, they are suffering from appalling manning balance, and have decided to prioritise Operational Theatres. Don't agree with the undrmanning, but applaud the logic to give those on Ops priority. Is it really that much of a hardship for Mrs TM to trot to the local GP?

Mrs MGD manages it fine.

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2008, 17:16
Except for overseas bases like HK, Gib etc., all RN families used the NHS GP system all the time as standard.

Our GP in Wallyford started his medical career in the RAF, as it happens, though...:ok:

goneeast
7th Jul 2008, 17:24
Its the way things are going

I slipped 3 discs and while in agony on bed at home, they wouldnt pick me up in meat wagon to see the SMO. I had to dial 999 to get help and sorry folks a slipped disc is NOT life or death.. i just needed help and a doctor.. Mind you my house WAS 5 miles away.. I did ask what I was supposed to to..." no idea" was the reply " call your GP" :ugh:. Pity I couldnt take my annual medical farce to a GP eh?

Winch-control
8th Jul 2008, 12:05
goneeast,
Let me get this straight...You dial treble 9 for a slipped disc? Not the non emergency number? :ugh:
And then you wonder why the NHS is so screwed up? and there were probably at least 2 cars parked in the drive at the time? :ugh:
goneeast..I suggest you head that way and don't stop till you get their!:ugh:
Just think thank heavens I didn't tie up a paramedic response with a non life threatening treble 9 call!.....or maybe you did?:uhoh:

4mastacker
8th Jul 2008, 12:16
goneeast

Ever heard of NHSDirect? 0845 46 47 for nurse advice and health information. The helpline is open 24 hours... and it works!!

Winch-control
8th Jul 2008, 12:23
Unfortunately the bottom line is the all forces don't support their own let alone the fmilies of those that serve. Yes they do a great job in theatre, I for one will shout from the roof toops about how good the reservists do whilst in theatre, but the bottom line is, it should be far better at home; (medically talking).

ShyTorque
8th Jul 2008, 21:46
Sorry to hear that our service families are still so badly supported in this way. After a disgraceful lack of care from the RAF's so called medical service on more than one occasion during my time in, my wife eventually refused to go anywhere near a military medical centre ever again. It was one reason I decided to leave the services after 18 years. The RAF could, and did, mess me about a huge amount, without complaint from me. However, when the RAF began to fail to care for my family during my constant times away (with no option for them to register at the local NHS medical centres in those days), I no longer cared much for the RAF. :(

Blacksheep
8th Jul 2008, 23:02
More than thirty years ago now, but my family were registered with the local GP at BZN when we lived in AMQ at Bampton and at Northolt where we lived in AMQ at West Ruislip. As far as I recall it was only families who lived in MQ immediately next to the station who were allowed to use the station's medical facilities. Its hardly anything new or unusual. Also, if one were posted away on an unaccompanied for more than six months the family were moved out to Records Quarters if they had nowhere else to go. Records Quarters were (are?) always way out in the sticks at closed down stations. For the record it was the negative effects of service life on the family that drove me to leave the service - as it was for my "three badge" Yeoman father when I was a nine year old.

goneeast
9th Jul 2008, 06:40
For the mouthy gits missing the point halfway up this page.. NO I didnt dial 999.. because it was not an emergency! I dialled my medical centre and they told me I had to dial 999. I refused to do that, got the wife to give me her GP number and got him to home visit me... And as for the "2 cars in the drive" bollo.. have you ever slipped discs? obviously not as I couldnt get out the bedroom, never mind down a flight of stairs.. and into a car? your having a laugh mate.. I was cooped up with blackadder for a week.. point is.. civvy GP drove out to see me and help.. RAF ? on yer own mate!! ( until civvie gave me 2 month sick chit, and I went private for the operation that was subsequnetly required, they were interested then!). A bit of help from those who are supposed to would have been nice, but thanks for the lecture anyway.

FantomZorbin
9th Jul 2008, 07:42
goneeast

20 years ago, I too was refused a visit from the RAF Doc when I contracted Foul Pest/Rising Damp or similar - point is I was in Quarters and the :mad: quack cycled past my front door 4 times a day!
When I had recovered, the item had the brass neck to ask me, in a most unfortunate manner, at Happy Hour how I was - I took great delight in explaining, succinctly and to the point, what I thought of his attitude/professional qualities etc. while he was standing next to the CO. Out of order, maybe, but it aided my recovery no end:E

Whatever the rights/wrongs, the stupidly short notice of 14 days to 'shift' the family shows minimal regard to care/consideration - has the pillock tried to get on to a 'list' recently - only marginally better than getting registered with a NHS Dentist around these parts!!

goneeast
9th Jul 2008, 07:47
Ahh , the joys of trying to find dental treatment in eastern parts. Now I thought that the RAF dental chaps/ladies were always top quality.. no complaints at all. However sods law dictacted that a filling fell out of my head the day after I left the RAF. Bloody fruit gums.:}

Jumping_Jack
9th Jul 2008, 09:19
Goneeast...

I think you would have received a better response if you had used punctuation. Unfortunately your message was garbled, a couple of commas would have made it a bit clearer! ;)

goneeast
9th Jul 2008, 09:26
Yes, I thought that myself Jack. However, I had been to the booze souk for my supplies, and it made sense to me :p. I've had some cracking doctors treat me, with intellegent advice and help when I was diagnosed with a more sinister illness, but on the day I just needed sound advice and help with the back injury, I got "disinterested from Wiltshire" on the phone. It was bloody frightening not being able to move. Anyway, point is made I think. It's all part of the Military Covenant being eroded, not just in medical areas, but everywhere. We all know that it's being discussed here and elsewhere at length.

spheroid
9th Jul 2008, 09:33
Although I am still serving I also became disillusioned with the Armed Forces medical branch until a couple of years ago I registered with my local GP. I now only the only time I go to the Sickbay is for my annual aircrew medical.

cornish-stormrider
9th Jul 2008, 10:46
Lifetime of constant pain and the eventual continuing degradation of my spine until I am no longer able to work, all due to failures in RAF med system. It only took 5 years for me to get to Headley Court ( i went in 2002) and they were great, unfortunately by then it was too late............
RAF med system, most of it could be replaced with a vending machine for brufen. I have had mates who had mulitple fractures and was signed off with a "sprain". that night his wife took him to A+E and x-rays found ......... multiple fractures.

I learnt about superglueing your own cuts shut from a rock ape. top tip.