PDA

View Full Version : A330 EPR setting

Marlboro_2002
7th Jul 2008, 12:02
Hi guys,

I fly an A330 with GE engines and when using manual thrust on approach, setting around 55% N1 normally does the trick (just need to adjust for weight and weather related factors). I am about to fly one with PW engines, which uses EPR, does anyone has a good reference for the setting?

Cheers,

b767300
7th Jul 2008, 12:31
Hi
I flew the A330 with EPR earlier.
in addition to EPR dials there is N1 digital reading as well.
So use 55% N1 and check the EPR setting.

Marlboro_2002
7th Jul 2008, 16:11
well I donīt have to be a genius to find that out. I just wanted to know if anyone had a direct reading/setting for the EPR

N1 Vibes
8th Jul 2008, 05:20
Marlboro

there is no 'exact' all-engines relationship btwn EPR and N1, because every engine has a slightly different relationship, that's why you need EPR trimmers. And even then they will differ within the tolerane of each trimmer, but not too much. Suggest you work out the best EPR for the PW engine, not the N1. We have a lot of ex-GE jockeys with us (RR EPR fleet mostly) and they can confuse things by seeing N1 splits for a given EPR and write it up as a defect, when it's perfectly normal.

So consider using EPR if you can, or things might get confusing.

Regards,

N1 Vibes

DC2 slf
8th Jul 2008, 17:34
Hi
I flew the A330 with EPR earlier.
in addition to EPR dials there is N1 digital reading as well.
So use 55% N1 and check the EPR setting.

But will 55% be right with the different engines?

ColdnFoggy
8th Jul 2008, 18:23
EPR readout isnt very accurate on high bypass engines. It worked wonderful on the old md80. But it was useless on the md 90 with RR engine.

On the 321 our instructor told us to use the fuel flow gauge. Set it at 1200 kphr and you are fine. Best tip i ever got! Never had less than 1000 or more than 1400, very comfortable.

Find out what the figure is on the 330 and stick to it :ok:

Admiral346
9th Jul 2008, 06:35
Having had to fly the EPR gauges for years, I can only say they suck.

You'll try to be adjusting those little numberswhen on the approach, and your eyes should not have to rest for longer on the engine instruments.

If I remember correctly, EPR 1.05 was ok initially on the 330, but I don't recall if it was the 200 or 300.

I actually adjusted thrust with the speed trend vector, trying to keep it zero when on speed. Just don't be chasing it too much.

Or have the A/T engeged until established on glide with Flaps 2 and note what it will give you, and use that as reference for the future.

Nic