PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Opportunity in East Africa

amerioca
7th Jul 2008, 06:36
Anyone aware of opportunities as Dir Operations/Ground Ops Mgr/Ops Mgr in East or West Africa (except for Nigeria - there is plenty publically available)

25 years+ av ops management experience, FAA dispatch license, Fully familiar with ICAO chapters as well as FAR's. JAA upgraded, DGR certified, CRM, Ops Spects and some more all current. Broad experience of a/c types, pax and freighters, Global managment experience, Africa experience, currently still under contract but looking for something in Africa again.

Tnx a lot for efforts in advance

desertopsguy
7th Jul 2008, 15:07
Tried any of the angencies? I've seen alot of stuff being put about but then again alot of it is in Nigeria.

Is it really that bad there? I've never been so I wouldn't know.

I have heard that alot of the operators in the French speaking countries, Gabon, Senegal etc prefer their staff to be bi-lingual, makes things easier.
I know someone who got turned down in Gabon because he didn't speak the lingo

Best..

amerioca
8th Jul 2008, 02:45
Tnx desertopguy. Most of stuff is going in Nigeria right now, and don't really need agencies for those jobs. Most of them are publicly advertised. On top of that, even in the UK, there is very limited qualified agencies on the market. Most of them are better qualified to mediate au pairs.

Heard of Air Uganda and also Ghana International is trying a new launch. New airline in Gambia but as to my experience, it is really damn difficult, specially within the regualtory affairs stuff, if you don't speak the lingo. But pretty hard to get some qalified contacts over there. Don't intent to work for nickles and dimes either.

Then again, it is pretty hard to penetrate the HR system of KQ or TC. Currently for a US carrier in Asia, have the time to wait until feasible stuff comes up, but don't intent to wait forever either, so if Rome does not come to me, I have to go to Rome.

desertopsguy
8th Jul 2008, 06:29
Hi,

Ya I've heard the regulatory procedures are a nightmare in those places, lots of 'grease' money required to get things going.

The agencies don't always deliver and seem more geared up to placing engineers,deck crew and hosties. I suppose it's like most things in airline business, it's who you know and as you say, getting into the inner circle in some parts can be difficult, grease money comes to mind again :p

You read alot about how some African economies are experiencing double digit growth, Uganda being one example, so perhaps now is their time, who knows.

Anyway, all the best with it,

D.O.G

mugsie
8th Jul 2008, 06:53
any information on quickjet.

amerioca
8th Jul 2008, 12:27
I think, they never got of the ground, as they were going to lease some a/c s from Bir Botswana, which went down the tubes in those days (1999).