PDA

View Full Version : Expired CPL - Multi/IR(Frozen ATPL Revalidation)

Bugboy
6th Jul 2008, 22:09
Hi

I am in the process of re-validating my CPL/IR and frozen ATPL (bad timing I know!) and would appreciate some clarification on what I need to do in terms of exams and flying.

I last flew in August 2002, when I renewed my multi-engine rating. My IR has now lapsed and was last renewed in Dec 98. In addition to this I have just realised that my licence says that my CPL expired in Oct 06.

1) Is it correct to say that in order to have my CAA CPL re-issued (I presume it will now become a JAA licence) all I need to do is apply on the appropriate form and send together with my Medical Cert and the fee.

2) To gain my CPL with multi and instrument rating am I just required to do sufficient flight training to pass the flight tests.

3) I understand that I must now re-sit all the ATPL written exams and that I do not receive any exemption from the required written exams, I therefore need to purchase an ATPL correspondence course and attend the brush up weeks.

4) If I didn’t re-sit the ATPL written exams would I just be able to take the flight tests and be issued with a CPL and take the ATPL written exams at a later date.

Thanks for your help :)

Longfinals
6th Jul 2008, 22:26
i think you are right about all except having to re sit the exams as they are valid for life or at least 10 years (?)

mcgoo
6th Jul 2008, 22:44
No, the exams are valid for 7 years from the date of the last IR validity, so if his last IR renewal was 98 he would have to sit all the exams again.

Bugboy
8th Jul 2008, 19:06
Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone know the answer to point 4

4) If I didn’t re-sit the ATPL written exams would I just be able to take the flight tests and be issued with a CPL and take the ATPL written exams at a later date.

Thanks again

Nashers
8th Jul 2008, 22:26
the answer to number 4 is no.

the ATPL exams cover the CPL stuff you need to learn therefore the ground school exams are required before you start your CPL.

HOWEVER as you have done the whole lot before im not sure if the same rules apply to you. best to call up the CAA and ask if its not in LASORS. i dont think they will allow you though.

portsharbourflyer
8th Jul 2008, 23:56
As you have gone more than five years you will need to do the IR renewal test with a CAA staff examiner not just any IRE. As you have gone more than seven years I think if I have interpreted lasor correctly you will need to do at least the JAA IR exams (seven subjects) to renew your IR, in which case you just as well do the full ATPL subjects.

However as you have previoulsy held CAA exams you may be given an exemption such that you will not need to complete an entire course of theoretical training prior to resitting exams.

corsair
9th Jul 2008, 23:03
Someone I know of, found himself in the same position only he had an Irish CPL, multi/IR, frozen ATPL which he had allowed to expire. He had to do a bit of flying, get signed off by the FTO. Then he had to do an LST (in a non complex aircraft) to renew his National CPL. Having done the flight test and passed he essentially renewed his national CPL and converted it to JAA in one transaction.

But IR and all exams are now invalid. So he has to pass the JAR ATPL writtens and critically he has to start the IR flight training from scratch, as if he had never flown an hour's training or passed an ATPL exam in the first place, not just pass a skills test to renew the IR. In fact worse than that, he had virtually completed an Instructors course but because it was under the national system not JARs. Those hours were invalid too.

That is IAA way of doing it. I suspect the CAA might be similar. JAR-FCL applies to everyone after all.