PDA

View Full Version : How do i go officer from the ranks?

WHOSURDADDY
5th Jul 2008, 17:31
I know that this is a forum for aircrew but i also hope that the wealth of experienced who read these threads might be able to give some constructive help, help that i am a little unsure of seeking through the normal channels as i do not wish to get anyones backs up. I joined because i was 20 UCAS points short and wanted to learn a trade. Since joining i have realised that i should have got the extra UCAS and maybe gone to UNI. I can't turn back the clock and do not want to leave so i am resigned to trying to go Officer from within.
I have looked in to the process as much as i can but would welcome some advice.

Background Noise
5th Jul 2008, 18:06
Talk to your flight commander and OC PSF. I'm sure they will help.

Pontius Navigator
5th Jul 2008, 18:09
First, read the sticky at the top of this section.

Second, it is not an aircrew exclusive forum but embraces all trades and branches for without them it would not happen.

Thirdly, find out if you unit has a commissioning club. If it has, join it. If not make sure that the first officer in your reporting chain knows you want a commission. It is his job when doing your annual report to comment on your suitablity for a commission unless you tell him you are not interested. Once he knows you are seeking a commission he can give you advice but as importantly make sure that you are given tasks to stretch your abilities. The better you do, the better your report.

Finally, good luck, there are many officers who rise from the ranks, a recent Chief of the Defence Staff rose from the bottom of the Army ranks.

Big Tudor
5th Jul 2008, 18:37
Whosurdaddy
Don't worry about 'getting peoples backs up'. The only people who will be miffed are those who are only good enough for a commission in their own eyes.

I did it but it was 15 years ago so the information may be a bit old. Be prepared to go the extra mile or three. Your secondary duties will be taken into account. Don't just join the NAAFI committee the month before you submit your application for a commission. Believe it or not some officers are not as green as they are cabbage looking and will see through it ;). Get yourself involved in some clubs/societies about the place. The OIC the club will be asked for his/her opinion of your work as part of the application process.

The big thing I was told (remember this is 15 years ago) is get up to speed on current affairs, and I mean ALL current affairs, not just the front page of the Sun. Start getting a decent broadsheet and start digesting what you read, including forming your own opinions about subjects. Contrary to popular belief you can read papers other than the Times & Daily Torygraph. Learn some of the names of the reporters and what their current role is on the paper.

GET FIT! Doesn't matter how fit you think you are, you're not fit enough (our course included a member of the RAF cross country team. He wasn't fit enough! :eek:)

Start brushing up on your English, grammar and punctuation (there's plenty of spelling bobbies on Pprune who can help you). If you can find out what a split infinitive is you're halfway there. :p

Last but not least, go for it. If you don't you will regret it for the rest of your life. Cranwell was one of the best experiences I have ever had.

cazatou
5th Jul 2008, 19:29
Read what Big Tudor has said and believe you can do it. You can!

I can remember flying Lord Cameron when he was CAS - he was a Sgt Pilot on (I think) 504 Sqn Aux Air Force during the Battle of Britain and became Chief of Defence Staff.

A friend of mine (Ken Makin) who died in the early 90's had enlisted into No 601 Sqn Auxiliary Air Force after the Munich agreement between Hitler and Chamberlain. He was called to active service before war was declared and became (as an "Aircraftsman 2nd class") a volunteer Air Gunner on the Blenheim 1F aircraft the Sqn were then equipped with. His Pilot was Fg Off Willie Rhodes-Moorhouse - the son of the first RFC Pilot to win the VC. Together they took part in the first raid on Germany in 1939 in an attack on the German Seaplane base at Borkholm. Ken survived the war having continued flying as a volunteer "WOP/AG" until he became a Signaller and finished the war as a Flt Lt with a DFC. He retired as a Sqn Ldr - which meant that he had been promoted 11 times. An Officer in the RAF can only be promoted 10 times before he runs out of Ranks.

Best of Luck

SirToppamHat
5th Jul 2008, 20:22
As far as current affairs goes, yes read a good paper by all means, but I don't think any of them are unbiased in their own way. I recommend 'The Week'. It not only explains what's happening at the moment, but also the historical background to sometimes complicated positions and shows both sides wherever possible (and it's also very easy to read!).

Not everywhere has a Commissioning Club, but that doesn't mean there is no-one around to help you - more people than you would think will be qualified DORAS interviewers.

Oh and READ THE STICKY AT THE TOP!

Good Luck!

Rigger1
6th Jul 2008, 09:12
Top tip - learn who the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet are, oh and use lots of big fancy words – they like that. I was nervous in my pre board and they actually wrote in the report that my “vocabulary was not good enough to hold a conversation in the Officers mess bar” – utter garbage, written by my boss who was supposed to help me, not that I’m bitter and twisted, shot through the ranks after not going for it.

Two's in
6th Jul 2008, 15:17
oh and use lots of big fancy words

Winston Churchill's speech writer may disagree there. Improved vocabulary is about context and content - not size! The English language is a great source of alternate words that enables you to avoid the "Errrrr, Ummmm, you know, right" syndrome. Commissioning boards have been doing this long enough to spot those who have come in brimming with the contents of the Telegraph or Guardian and have little trouble identifying the real person behind all that. Just make sure you are the one they are looking for on the day - it's all about depth of character, not acting.

airborne_artist
6th Jul 2008, 15:31
oh and use lots of big fancy words

Two good ones are brevity and concise :ok:

Rigger1
6th Jul 2008, 16:36
I know, but to say that I wouldn’t be able to hold a conversation in the Offciers Mess bar, was a bit off to say the least, if they could see my character wasn’t up to it why didn’t they just say so. After that I went on to become an RAF instructor and had no problems, the funny thing was, when I got my Eng HNC of my own back the RAF actually asked me to go to OASC. Mmmm, wonder what my reply was – and it wasn’t in big fancy words!

Anyway - go for it who'syourdaddy, and good luck.

Pontius Navigator
6th Jul 2008, 17:09
As for current affairs, keep a note book and jot down what you think may be significant. Then as your interview approaches select what you consider the best and research in a little more depth. The ones I was asked were from outer space. I had the vaguest idea of where Iraq and Bagadad were but not a clue on Habbanyia, H3 and the RAF involvment. Give you a clue, 'twas a long time ago.

A more recent candidate, summer 2005, was asked to discuss significant events that year. Zilch. May? Anything happen? Zilch. An election perhaps?

New clue

Is their another election in the offing? Candidates? Political persuasion? Who would you think would be the better?

engoal
7th Jul 2008, 11:50
If you can square away your character, your knowledge and your motivation, you are most of the way there. I did it 13 years ago after 12 years in the job and haven't fared too badly since.

Character you can't do much with, as you are who you are. However, you can take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself what aspects of your make up can act as a selling point and what bits you might need to supress, noting that they will come out anyway as the OASC dudes have been doing this stuff for years.

Knowledge can only be gained through hard work and getting your head in the books, papers and media. Know as much as you can about 3-4 meaty domestic issues and a similar number of international matters of moment. Given that you are already in the firm, make sure you know as much about it as you can. However, know your limits; if you don't know, for Pete's sake don't waffle, just 'fess up and have an idea of where you might look.
Part of the interview technique takes you as far as you know about a given topic, and then pushes you a bit further to see how you deal with unknown territory.

Motivation is very much in your hands. Know what you want to do and why you want to do it. Know what you will have to undergo in pursuit of your ambition and understand what it is that you will be doing, both in trg and at the other end of the process. Lastly, know what you will do if they give you the big 'no thanks'.

Oh and then there's all the assessed exercises and aptitude tests; see the sticky thread for advice on that.

Apart from that, peice of p**s - no, really!;)

Good luck

Wader2
7th Jul 2008, 12:27
Part of the interview technique takes you as far as you know about a given topic, and then pushes you a bit further to see how you deal with unknown territory.

However a frustration factor might kick in here.

You may be the world's expert on paleontology. They may ask 'what are your hobbies?' 'what form does this take?' 'How do you further your interests in paleontology?'

Then before you can say 'fossils' they move on as they have already determined that you know your rocks from your fossils.

They then ask you about the ethics of a preemptive attack against a countries nuclear facilities. You are now thinking on your feet, or floundering. It seems so unfair but it is all devised to probe and extend and gain knowledge about you.

Pontius Navigator
7th Jul 2008, 16:33
memories of the "Station Commissioning Board" - a completely random and arbitary animal that ranged from a load of up-their-own-arse f**kwits.

I may have been one of your kwits but my excuse is I didn't want to do it. I was dragged in because my boss, a navigator, wanted another navigator on the board as the candidate wanted to be a navigator.

Many years later, when I did the proper course, I could have done a much better job. Never-the-less the professionals do a course, are mentored by experienced staff, become a No 2, are checked for standardisation, become a No 1 ie a board chairman. Finally there will be the president who will be in charge of about 4 boards ie 40 odd candidates at a time.

WHOSURDADDY
7th Jul 2008, 16:57
Thanks for the replies.

ARINC
7th Jul 2008, 21:15
My vocabulary and Port passing skills are top notch, but does anyone know where I can get a new character ? :ugh:

But seriously, after long chat with ex boss during Sqn beer call re. commissioning his most telling comment was, nowadays sometimes the only difference between us and them is a few points at UCAS.

Go for it !

AntCliff
8th Jul 2008, 08:19
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but if I join as a trade, is it possible to apply for a commission as pilot in a few years? I've heard that it is possible, and for trades applying for this that the upper age limit is extended to 26, but I want to make sure.

roony
8th Jul 2008, 08:32
I'm happy to be corrected but I believe that if you want to get a commish, do it straight away. There will be fewer distractions and obstacles while you are "fresh out of the box" as it were.

Wader2
8th Jul 2008, 08:43
AntCliff,

You are indeed correct and it is a high risk strategy for 23-24 yr olds. getting a commission from the ranks is quite common. I don't know the numbers but is is significant.

At 18 the only really reason for following that route is if your academics are not up to scratch and your personal qualities - confidence, maturity, leadership skills etc are low.

That said, it is not for you to make that assessment. Go to your AFCO and aim for what you want.

AntCliff
8th Jul 2008, 08:59
Thanks Wader, that's a great help. That brings me to my second question - is there any flexibilty in the eyesight requirements for Pilot when already serving?
The reason I ask is that I recently recieved my Opthalmic supplement back from Cranwell, which tells me I am unfit for Pilot. I took this to my optician and he explained to me the reason for this. It seems my left eye's 'spherical component cylinders (no, I don't know what they are either)' are reading -0.25. This is an abysmally small amount, my optician assured me.

However the RAF only accept Plano (0.00) to +0.75.

If I was to join as trades and apply for Pilot, could I expect any leniancy over this?

Ant

Wader2
8th Jul 2008, 09:14
my Opthalmic supplement back from Cranwell, which tells me I am unfit for Pilot.

If I was to join as trades and apply for Pilot, could I expect any leniancy over this?

1. You have expert opinion ie NO.

2. Probably not. The principle is that you must be fully compliant with the fitness rules when you enter as you are unlikely to improve as you get older, quite the reverse.

There is a sufficiency of fully fit applicants that they do not need to make exceptions.

Rather than go for airmen entry why not apply for a commission right off? if you are successful then that is OASC out of the way followed by IOT. Then all you have to do is convince the medics. If you follow the airman route you have to convince both OASC, IOT and medics later on.

That route also puts you almost a year ahead of the game as the airman applicant then has that 9 month IOT hurdle too.

WHOSURDADDY
8th Jul 2008, 13:26
I have just been told that i can not go for a commission until completion of my trade training in 4 years. This can't be right, can it?

Does anyone have or can point me in the right direction for the rules as I am getting so many conflicting points of views from within the service.

thanks in advance.

Wader2
8th Jul 2008, 13:52
Trade training - 4 years? Pilot training is only 2. Sounds like they are trying the first tour amortisation rule.

Your 1st commission RO HAS to assess you for commissioning if you wish.

If he assesses you fit then get yourself off the the AFCO.

There are many people who either don't bother to read the rules or say no for an easy life.

"No you can't sign off as your are not fit - you can apply but we won't forward the application."

He rang his desk officer "Who said that? I decide if you can sign on or not."

I know someone who wanted to cross from Army to RAF. The Army said NO because of the amortisation rule. He checked. He was not leaving Betty's employment so his skills would not be lost. He joined the RAF.

Call their bluff. Tell them to show you the rules. Then get a copy and read them yourself.

This would appear to be one line of approach:

"
Manning - How to contact us:
The Open Door policy allows contact with your Career Manager by telephone between the hours of 1330 and 1630 Mon to Fri.
Career Managers have to meet the current manpower requirement, and plan for the future manpower requirement, by filling positions with suitably qualified and able people whilst taking into account the needs of the individual, be they personal or professional. The ‘Open Door’ facility is an important element in this process as it allows RAF personnel the opportunity to discuss their personal and professional aspirations with their DO/SNCO.
Equally, the ‘Open Door’ allows Career Managers to advise RAF personnel how Service requirements might affect their personal and professional aspirations ‘Open Door’ discussions, including any recommendations or suggestions for future movement, are not authoritative. Although Career Managers are able to discuss individuals’ aspirations and consider future assignment opportunities, authority is subject to final checks, boarding and approval. To allow Career Managers to give fair access to all the ‘Open Door’ facility should be used sparingly and only when necessary.
Reference: AP3392 Vol 2 Leaflet 1504. Open Door policy (http://www.publications.raf.r.mil.uk/live/aspsi2ed/volume%201/part%201/112.doc)"

Good luck. PM if you want - like what trade etc

Squirrel 41
8th Jul 2008, 14:38
Whosurdaddy

On the current affairs point, my local station int cell was always happy to provide a wide ranging background brief of what's going on and why to people in your position. Trick was, they had to ask!

S41

phanphix
10th Jul 2008, 08:53
ANTCLIFF

Sorry to pour water on your aspirations but there is no leniency given on eyesight standards at OASC even if you apply from the ranks. It is very black and white and the only possible latitude is shown to re-entrant aircrew who are already trained and have relevant experience to offer; even possibly from other services - even then it is not a given as a matter of course but on a case by case basis. That rule equally applies to other branches that may have eyesight standards suchs as fighter control or ATC. Same rule applies to airman aircrew but might be relaxed for linguists.