PDA

View Full Version : Dividing time between the UK and the US

TicketyBlue
5th Jul 2008, 16:52
I'm thinking about flying in the US about twice a year, mainly for hour building. If I apply for an FAA licence based on my JAR licence would it only be valid for a short time e.g. the duration of the trip? I guess my question is, do I have to re-apply for an FAA certificate every time I want to fly in the US or would it be worth my while gaining an FAA PPL as well as my JAR one??

BHenderson
5th Jul 2008, 18:22
Temporary licences are valid for 120 days. If its long term just get the full licence.

davey147
5th Jul 2008, 19:54
Your FAA certificate will be valid as long as your JAA licence and medical are.

There is no need to get an FAA PPL, its an easy process to get the JAA one validated.

sparx007
5th Jul 2008, 22:25
agree with the above....the airmens cert is valid so long as your JAA licence and medical are valid....

TicketyBlue
6th Jul 2008, 09:10
Thanks for your replies, I just didn't fancy having to re-apply for an FAA certificate every time I went stateside, which will be twice a year on average.

Keygrip
6th Jul 2008, 21:37
You also must have had a flight review from an FAA instructor pilot within the last 24 calendar months.

Not necessarily.

Longfinals
6th Jul 2008, 22:23
to hire in the US you will need the airmen certificate valid as long as your UK, JAA or any other licence you happen to haveis valid along with a medical. Plus a a/c rental otfit will want to see when you did your last BFR which is signed off by a FAA CFI, a good thing to have anyway.

I often fly to hour build in the US and visst at least once a year and when i'm hiring from a school for the 1st time i usually ask them to give me a full check out and sign my log book. More often than not i have more hours than the CFI :) as many are building time towards airline jobs.

Good luck and if you need any advice give me a shout i've flown all over, what a great place for aviation.

Keygrip
7th Jul 2008, 12:08
sqwkvfr - a question or two.

If a pilot holding a "Licence issued on the basis of..." decided to add an instrument rating "US test passed" - would they need a flight review?

If a pilot holding a "Licence issued on the basis of..." qualified under the "Wings Programme" would they need a flight review?

Answer to both is the same.

B2N2
7th Jul 2008, 23:32
Here is the psalm, song and verse from the horse's mouth (the FAA):

I. Advise Applicant of Part 61 and Part 91 Rules and Requirements. Advise the applicant about the rules and requirements contained in 14 CFR part 61 , Certification: Pilot, flight instructors, and ground instructors; and in 14 CFR part 91 (flight review requirements, recency of experience requirements, required logbook entries, etc.). As a point of emphasis, make clear to the applicant that a flight review (see § 61.56 ) must be administered by the holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings before he/she may exercise the privileges of his/her U.S. pilot certificate. The proficiency checks administered by a foreign flight instructor do not count as meeting the flight review requirements of § 61.56 .

The complete text is available here:
http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=EBookContents
Volume 5.....

Keygrip.....:ok: