PDA

View Full Version : Vans RV10 serious tourer?

Squeegee Longtail
5th Jul 2008, 14:56
Don't know much about these kits. Obviously on permits, so some restrictions there, but how practical are these as serious tourers? The numbers seem quite impressive.

Jodelman
5th Jul 2008, 15:26
The first UK one has yet to fly.

Squeegee Longtail
5th Jul 2008, 15:36
Alright then, what about those flying elsewhere? The UK is not the centre of the universe (or the planet, or even Europe).

wsmempson
5th Jul 2008, 15:59
The performance figures look terrific, but the snag here is no IFR touring. There would have to be a very compelling reason to buy one of these over and above a cirrus or a pa28 235 - or even a very nice arrow III.

Put it on a C or A with attendant right to IMC flying, and then you'd have a serious proposition.

I might even get tempted to trade my Arrow III....

Rod1
5th Jul 2008, 20:47
There is a flight test comparison planed Cirrus/RV10 in next months Light Aircraft mag. Serous touring does not require IFR and less than 1% of touring pilots have an IR. The big advantage will be cost (over the Cirrus), but I will post more after the mag comes out.

Rod1

Jodelman
5th Jul 2008, 22:01
There is a flight test comparison planed Cirrus/RV10 in next months Light Aircraft mag

According to my July magazine, next months flight test comparison is Jabiru/Jodel/PA28. The last I heard was that the RV10 is not yet flying although is almost ready at Turweston.

Squeegee Longtail
6th Jul 2008, 08:58
...as before mentioned, the UK is not the only flying arena. There are plenty flying in the US (apparently).

NigelOnDraft
6th Jul 2008, 09:32
Loads of info on VAF Forum RV-10 - VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4) and RVs in general VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)

NoD

IFMU
7th Jul 2008, 01:39
We hosted an RV10 at our EAA hangar last month. 3 guys flew up from the south for a race at Watkins Glen. Nicely equipped and here in the states you can fly it IFR. The airplane makes the arrow that I'm using to earn my instrument rating look like a trash truck. I was suprised how big it was too. Looks like a great tourer to me, if you can afford it.

-- IFMU

Squeegee Longtail
7th Jul 2008, 11:16
Can an N-reg "experimental" category aircraft be flown in Europe (if kept as N-reg) and be flown IFR by an FAA IR pilot?

Rod1
7th Jul 2008, 11:44
"Can an N-reg "experimental" category aircraft be flown in Europe (if kept as N-reg) and be flown IFR by an FAA IR pilot?"

Only for about 30 days, unless you can convince the CAA to extend. There are new regs under discussion which may allow European permit aircraft to fly IFR in Europe. It will be some time before the outcome becomes clear.

Rod1

Dave Unwin
7th Jul 2008, 13:10
I evaluated a -10 about four years ago, and thought it an impressive albeit thirsty machine.