PDA

View Full Version : R44 type rating - any idea of rough cost?

ChristopherRobin
5th Jul 2008, 13:18
Does anyone know the rough cost of a type rating on an R44 if already qualified with CPL(H) IR and type rated on a similar (ish) type, i.e. gazelle and A109?

really appreciate any guidance you can give, thanks.

talking horse
5th Jul 2008, 14:33
I've done one recently. It took 5 hours for the training and the test was about 45 mins. Most places seem to charge about £480/hour for the R44, plus the inevitable fees (£175 for the examiner, £111 to have it added to your licence). So just over £3000.

Good luck.:sad:

ChristopherRobin
5th Jul 2008, 14:46
thanks very much!

float test
5th Jul 2008, 18:11
anyone tell me why the raven II has two static ports.

puntosaurus
5th Jul 2008, 20:08
So that even if you're out of balance, the average reading of the two will be about right.

I have a suspicion also that you can do the type rating in only three hours with a CPL, down to two if the TRTO has an approved course which does it in less.

Bravo73
5th Jul 2008, 20:17
I have a suspicion also that you can do the type rating in only three hours with a CPL, down to two if the TRTO has an approved course which does it in less.

Not if it's the first piston type on your licence. Is this the case, CR?

tonge
6th Jul 2008, 04:42
Quick question, I've got both a FAA and JAA PPL(H), with the majority of my time on the R22. I did the R44 transition in the States on my FAA licence, and have now got 16 hours on type. I was just wondering, to add the R44 type rating to my JAA licence is it "as required" training from the TRTO or would I have to do a full 5 hours plus a test?

Tonge

puntosaurus
6th Jul 2008, 09:34
See LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=780) Section F

F9.1 TRANSFER OF TYPE/CLASS
RATINGS FROM A NONJAA
STATE LICENCE
Type Ratings

(Helicopter)

A type rating endorsement on a licence issued by a
non-JAA State may be transferred to a UK issued pilot’s
licence, subject to:-
i. For a single-engine turbine and single-engine piston
helicopters with a MTOM < 3175kg, 100 hours flying
experience as pilot on type,operating as P1 or P2
appropriate to the rating required (PUT time may not
be counted).

For all other helicopters, 350 hours flying experience as
pilot on type, operating as P1 or P2 appropriate to the
rating required (PUT time may not be counted).

ii. Operational experience as pilot on type within the
preceding 5 years.
iii. Pass a Proficiency Check on type with a JAA
Authorised Examiner.
iv. Have met the requirements of JAR-FCL 2.250, and
2.255 as applicable, including theoretical knowledge
requirements.

Applicants who hold a type rating but do not meet the
experience requirements above will be required to
complete a course of training at an approved TRTO. The
CAA may consider a reduction in the amount of training
required to take account of previous experience on type,
subject to a recommendation in writing by the Head of
Training. Applicants will be required to pass the written
theoretical knowledge examination and a Licensing Skill
Test (LST).

ChristopherRobin
6th Jul 2008, 17:12
Thanks for your answers. Puntosaurus and Bravo, it is my first piston as I have over 700 hours single turbine and 1000 hours twin turbine, thanks to my time in the Army.

bit disappointing if I have to do more hours because I didn't go piston in the first place. I presume this is because of the performance characteristices of a piston at altitude or something like that?

500 Fan
6th Jul 2008, 17:25
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer your experience on a type (i.e. 100 plus hrs on the R44 using the priviliges of an FAA licence) onto an Irish Aviation Authority-issued JAR PPL as a type rating without the normally-required 5 hrs training, similar to the common-sense approach of the CAA as highlighted by Puntosaurus? (Me thinks the Institute Against Aviation will say NO.)

windowseatplease
6th Jul 2008, 17:54
Ask Martin Marsh at Flight Crew Licensing, he will advise if the CAA will allow "training as necessary" for the type rating, if you have hours from abroad on type.

Bravo73
6th Jul 2008, 18:20
bit disappointing if I have to do more hours because I didn't go piston in the first place. I presume this is because of the performance characteristices of a piston at altitude or something like that?

It's probably more to do with managing the different engine characteristics. The same rule applies to a first turbine type.

In certain aspects, a piston engine can be trickier to operate than a turbine equivalent, especially if you take away the throttle governor and fuel injection. A non-governed engine will teach you proper throttle control whilst a carburettored engine will introduce you to the delights of carb icing. There's even a chance that you might need more than the basic 5 hours. ;)

A Raven 2 will make your life easier but be aware if you then ever have to fly an Astro. Carb icing kills. :{

ChristopherRobin
6th Jul 2008, 20:58
I know - but I bet 45 hours worrying about it in a chipmunk doesn't count for helicopters!

Bravo73
6th Jul 2008, 22:52
Sorry for the lesson in egg-sucking then! :O

Pandalet
7th Jul 2008, 08:20
My R44 rating cost me slightly less than £3k, about a year ago. DEFINATELY shop around, as the prices vary wildly, especially the exam fees. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a discount!

When I last looked, Sloane were about the cheapest, but they had a bit of a waiting list; this may no longer be current info, so check for yourself.

AnthonyCurran
19th Jul 2008, 12:52
Currently looking to get type rating on 44 myself coming from 76hrs on R22, London-Helicopters are doing a special at the minute, 2600STR all in, but they only have one aircraft. Booking needs to be a month in advance, plus there right beside CAA head offices in Gatwick.

TR44
20th Jul 2008, 22:43
London helicopters now have two R44's!!!